Nova thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Nova thoughts

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
I really think they are one of the worst matchups of the year for this current SU team. Physical guards/players, style of D, experience, etc. No brainer.

I think some of the posts I have been seeing regarding Cooney bringing the ball up and initiating the offense are good ones. Particularly for this matchup and immediately after the La Tech problems. Villanova will be sharks sensing Kaleb as an injured seal. This could bury us early. I wouldn't mind trying some Kaleb at the 2 and maybe he can slash, create, or shoot on some ball reversals.

Hopefully Silent G can play and be effective. This is not a game for BJ. Pinkston will break him in half fighting for boards. If Silent G can provide some good physical minutes at the 3 then maybe we have a chance. This could be a good chance for Patterson to get quality minutes subbing for whomever of the guards. We will need his feisty D and play. Should be an interesting game.

Don't forget the big men. Xmas, McCullough and Roberson should clean everything up in the glass. Yes they have the advantage with us with the guards but we should go inside as much as we can

I wouldn't mind seeing Joseph play possum and dangle the ball out for the Nova guards a few times, then blow by them as they go for the steal. If other guards are willing to play aggressively, or too agressively, he can actual use his poor ball security to his advantage in certain scenarios. If he anticipates their pressure, we might be able to burn Nova for some big, energy plays. It also might get their guards to back off a tad.

I was a terrible ballhandler in middle school, but I could put the ball behind my back if I predetermined I was going to do it; so I would do what I described above a few times each game. Middle school tactics have to work at the college level, right? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget the big men. Xmas, McCullough and Roberson should clean everything up in the glass. Yes they have the advantage with us with the guards but we should go inside as much as we can
Ochefu and Pinkston might have something to say about that.
Villanova is a very good team, inside and out

That's a given but Chris really needs to be strong with the ball down there. He will get pushed around. Tyler should benefit again but Nova is not small like LA Tech. Ochefu is solid at 6'10 and is averaging 9/7. He had 4 blocks vs Illinois. Pinkston plays bigger than his height.

I really think they are one of the worst matchups of the year for this current SU team. Physical guards/players, style of D, experience, etc. No brainer.

I think some of the posts I have been seeing regarding Cooney bringing the ball up and initiating the offense are good ones. Particularly for this matchup and immediately after the La Tech problems. Villanova will be sharks sensing Kaleb as an injured seal. This could bury us early. I wouldn't mind trying some Kaleb at the 2 and maybe he can slash, create, or shoot on some ball reversals.

Hopefully Silent G can play and be effective. This is not a game for BJ. Pinkston will break him in half fighting for boards. If Silent G can provide some good physical minutes at the 3 then maybe we have a chance. This could be a good chance for Patterson to get quality minutes subbing for whomever of the guards. We will need his feisty D and play. Should be an interesting game.

Cooney is steady, and did an admirable job handling the ball against La Tech, but bringing the ball up full court against Nova's guards is a different animal. If Cooney is forced to become our primary ball-handler against good teams, we are in deep trouble. I think G might be our best option if healthy, despite some shaky past decision-making.

Cooney is steady, and did an admirable job handling the ball against La Tech, but bringing the ball up full court against Nova's guards is a different animal. If Cooney is forced to become our primary ball-handler against good teams, we are in deep trouble. I think G might be our best option if healthy, despite some shaky past decision-making.

I hear ya. No scenario is ideal and that is a problem against a team like Villanova, clearly.

This team is a lot more like the Foye/Ray/Lowry team. They have lots of guards, talented guards that play big.

Ennis looks great, he is quick, can shoot, finish, long arms, and can protect the rim.

Much like every game, but more so against Nova, if Xmas and/or McCullough get in foul trouble we'll get blown out.

I was really encouraged by Cooney's last outing, I hope he finds some consistency. I think Roberson should see some extended minutes against Nova, we need the body and athleticism.

It'll be tough not to get bullied this game.

For us to win this game Roc needs 20 and 10, at least 12 and 10 out of CMAC, Cooney needs 15-20 with 3 or 4 threes, G needs to get at least 10, and we have to turn the ball over less than 15 times. It's going to take a total team effort.

We need to dominate the glass. We are the better rebounding team statistically. I know Nova is a hustling team that has beat us to lose balls in previous matchups, but we can't let this happen this weekend.

Also getting out on shooters is paramount in this game. Especially Ennis, Hillard and Hart. Archidiacono's percentages stink so far this year so you know he is due at some point. He's shooting about 15 points below his career percentages.

Roc really needs to take ownership in this game. Theres no reason he shouldn't outplay Ocheful and Pinkston inside.

I thought this going into the Michigan game, and it obviously worked for Cooney, but maybe it's a good thing this team is playing away from home.

Besides the obvious need to not have excessive turnovers, I think our only real hope is if 'nova is cold from 3-pt land, which has actually been the case in a few of their games this year... even then it will be very difficult for this SU team to outscore them

I've never gone into a game in recent memory more sure we would lose. I'll be quite pleased if we stay within 15.

Therefore, we will probably win. :)

Where is the guy that had bad feelings about games? What's he feeling heading into this weekend?

One thing I'll say... this is approximately how I felt going into the @ L'vlle game a couple of years ago (i.e., we had no chance in he11)

Its unlikely but we have a chance and we have good enough players to pull it off. Honestly if we minimize mistakes like, liveball turnovers, stupid fouls from our bigs, fouling jump shooters and missing defensive rotations I think we can hang with almost anyone. This is especially the case if we get good games from more than 3 guys offensively.

If I am 'Nova, I hound Kaleb from the tip and go at Roc every possible opportunity. The outcome of either or both will make or break this game.

If I am 'Nova, I hound Kaleb from the tip and go at Roc every possible opportunity. The outcome of either or both will make or break this game.

Shhhh... don't tell them.

We need to win Saturday or get at least two major upsets in the ACC to have a shot at the Dance imho...

Tough matchup but I think we play well and stay right with them. Silent G needs a big game.

This

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom