Now That Basketball Is Over, This Football Foreplay is Killin' Me | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Now That Basketball Is Over, This Football Foreplay is Killin' Me

Yeah, but Marrone inherited a far worse program than Babers inherited - and it's not even close.

Marrone changed the trajectory of the program in an instant.

His win against NW - a solid Big Ten team - after nearly beating another Big Ten team - Minnesota - made clear that things had changed.

Indeed. I’m not arguing he wasn’t a good coach or that those games weren’t important. They were.

I don’t think the difference is that great honestly. Gerg was sucking in the Big East, Marrrone had the benefit of playing weak schedules. Shafer’s last two seasons we finished at or near the bottom of the ACC.

I stand by my take that what Babers has some in two years is more impressive than Marrone. The SoS difference is massive.

Indeed. I’m not arguing he wasn’t a good coach or that those games weren’t important. They were.

I don’t think the difference is that great honestly. Gerg was sucking in the Big East, Marrrone had the benefit of playing weak schedules. Shafer’s last two seasons we finished at or near the bottom of the ACC.

I stand by my take that what Babers has some in two years is more impressive than Marrone. The SoS difference is massive.
Statistically speaking, you’re right. W/L-wise, well, this is a big year.

These comparisons are difficult. DM was a good judge of talent and a great line coach. His scheme was rather traditional even if he went hurry up his last season and he was no genius in game management. He is however a good coach better suited to the pros.

I think I am accurate in saying that many of the stars on DM teams were recruited by Grob. (I think he left the cupboard less than he found it for Shafer with respect to skill players.)
Shafer's regime may have actually done better with skill players than DM. DM's last class (Shafer's first) blew up - it might have been his best. As we all know, recruiting was not Dougie's best suit.

Anyway, DM might have played in a weaker BE but he had the best olines we have had in years and several pros - two of them stars. He has to get some credit for their development, if not their recruitment. His last team would probably held their own in the ACC.

I hate the way the opportunistic baloney eating saint left, but he did a very good job and is a very good coach.

Babers however, is a really good college coach and will most likely prove to be our best since Coach Mac.

He is the best recruiter of the last bunch and plays a brand of football best suited to the Dome. He is far better at PR and his teams are exciting to watch.

Babers began in the ACC with a freshman QB and a system radically different than anything the players had seen before. No depth and squirts at DB and WR. Oh, and did I mention a new defensive system as well.

The jobs they both have done have too many variables to reach a definitive conclusion. A side-by-side comparison leaves us with good arguments on both sides.

My conclusion is that they both did really good jobs and we probably should just leave it at that.

Both are really good coaches - just different. One better suited to the NFL and one a real college coach. We wound up with the better college coach.

These comparisons are difficult. DM was a good judge of talent and a great line coach. His scheme was rather traditional even if he went hurry up his last season and he was no genius in game management. He is however a good coach better suited to the pros.

I think I am accurate in saying that many of the stars on DM teams were recruited by Grob. (I think he left the cupboard less than he found it for Shafer with respect to skill players.)
Shafer's regime may have actually done better with skill players than DM. DM's last class (Shafer's first) blew up - it might have been his best. As we all know, recruiting was not Dougie's best suit.

Anyway, DM might have played in a weaker BE but he had the best olines we have had in years and several pros - two of them stars. He has to get some credit for their development, if not their recruitment. His last team would probably held their own in the ACC.

I hate the way the opportunistic baloney eating saint left, but he did a very good job and is a very good coach.

Babers however, is a really good college coach and will most likely prove to be our best since Coach Mac.

He is the best recruiter of the last bunch and plays a brand of football best suited to the Dome. He is far better at PR and his teams are exciting to watch.

Babers began in the ACC with a freshman QB and a system radically different than anything the players had seen before. No depth and squirts at DB and WR. Oh, and did I mention a new defensive system as well.

The jobs they both have done have too many variables to reach a definitive conclusion. A side-by-side comparison leaves us with good arguments on both sides.

My conclusion is that they both did really good jobs and we probably should just leave it at that.

Both are really good coaches - just different. One better suited to the NFL and one a real college coach. We wound up with the better college coach.

I agree with this 100%

I think Marrone was better than Shafer and that our entrance into the ACC would have been more successful with him at the helm and he'd still be our coach if he wanted to be. We wouldn't be wondering if someone could do better.

I also think Babers is better than Shafer and that he'll bring us back to respectability. I don't know if he's better than Marrone and don't think it matters. He does bring a more aggressive offensive concept, the type the Dome was built for and that's very exciting.

Said it before and I'll say it again. 8-4 minimum. We're gonna be good this season.
Minimum eh? I also think we will be better this season but thats a pretty bold statement. With a slightly easier schedule I think we get 6 wins and can see 7. But I certainly wouldn't bet on 8. Not that it can't happen but I would put the chances much lower than 6 or 7 wins. Then again, Babers saying "Its a different football team, he can feel it" is a very nice thing to hear.

A very even keeled accurate assessment. I'll nitpick, however. Babers started with a sophomore QB. ;)

Said it before and I'll say it again. 8-4 minimum. We're gonna be good this season.

Agree should be a great season through October (the consecutive home games vs UNC and NC State.)

Just hope Dungey is in one piece and the teams we play after that have issues instead of it being us @Wake/Ville/ND/@BC is a tough finishing stretch but all are winnable if the wheels don't come off.

Sad thing is if we were in the Atlantic we could probably win 10/11 games assuming Clemson isn't the crossover. Such a joke we never play those schools Miami wasn't even good last year and got to have a season like that because that half of the league is terrible. In 2019 UNC and Wake are playing a non conference game vs each other because this is so ridiculous.

A little Cuse respect from Athlon, in their Florida State season preview.

Florida State Seminoles 2018 Football Schedule and Analysis

Week 3 – Sept. 15 at Syracuse (Syracuse, N.Y.)
syracuse-orange.png
It took a missed field goal as time expired last season for FSU to escape against Syracuse in Tallahassee. A long trip to upstate New York won’t be easy for the Seminoles. The Carrier Dome was the venue where the Orange took down Clemson last season.

Need that loud house rocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom