Now That Was Good Old-Fashioned Northeastern Football | Syracusefan.com

Now That Was Good Old-Fashioned Northeastern Football

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Growing up in the 50's & 60's and going to Archbold Stadium to watch some great Syracuse University football, yesterdays Pin Stripe Bowl evoked memories of that golden era.

There is just something special about playing the game of football in cold, rainy, then blustery, snowy, & muddy conditions.

Prince Tyson Gulley coming back to the huddle with a chunk of turf stuck to his helmet was classic.

Players with mud & lime on their arms, fans huddled under blankets, no doubt a flask or two to brace them against chilling winds.

At times thoughts traveled back to Giants vs Colts 1958, Syracuse vs UCLA up at Archbold and the frozen tundra game, Green Bay vs the Cowboys at Lambeau Field in 1967.

Sure, warm weather bowls are nice for fan getaways and vacations but yesterdays Pin Stripe Bowl captured the essence of Syracuse and northeastern football.

Natural turf, outdoors, lousy weather, now that's old school Syracuse Football and I loved every minute of it as did our Orangemen fans in Yankee Stadium and across the country watching ESPN.

Sitting there yesterday took me back to my youth. Walking up to Archbold on a cold day with my Father and family really thinking about the conditions and if they would help or hurt. Wondering what direction the wind was coming from... the elements played such a big role not only in the game but in our game day as a family. After a really cold game my dad would often swing by columbus bakery if it was still open and we would all share a hot loaf on the ride home. Yesterday brought all of that back. It was a great day to be a Syracuse fan as you could almost close your eyes and see Czonk blasting another scissors play for 4-5 yards as our unbalanced line blew them off the ball.

I also grew up on Syracuse Football in the 1960s and remember going to the games in Archbold in the early 1970s.

The 2012 Pinstripe Bowl between Syracuse and West Virginia in the snow was "classic" Eastern football.

I think that yesterday's game would have brought a big smile to Coach Schwartzwalder's face.
Ben Schwartzwalder 1990s.jpg

Hat's off to the 2012 Team and Coaching staff for a great game and season.

Watching that game yesterday make you realize why a solid running game (legend of 44) was so important for SU during the Archbold days. Without it, you wouldn't be able to compete the last month of the season.