Now this is what I want to hear | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Now this is what I want to hear

Jordan should be in the slot or split out, he needs space to be effective. Tucker is almost as fast but bigger, get both on the field to give defenses something to worry about. Would like to have them both as receivers on some plays.
I don't understand this fascination with Jordan in the slot.

I'd argue we don't throw to the slot enough now.

So we want to put arguably our most dynamic playmaker there and make it harder for him to see the ball?

We know Jordan is lethal in space. We saw it last season.

Running backs can get the ball in space. Let's just do that with him.

we need someone who can be the 7-10 yd guy in tight spaces, where you dont need 5 yds of space to complete a throw.. the one thing ISH did was allow throws to be less open and move the chains.. Then we need that Phillips guy who can handle the inside stuff, but thats a trust throw. Harris cant be the tough guy and the stretch guy and the slot guy on every play.

Good post and I agree. That said, we don't have an Erv and ish in this wr rotation from what we have seen THUS far. Now, a few might develop, but dino has now had 4+ years to develop this group and its wheels spinning in mud.

I don't understand this fascination with Jordan in the slot.

I'd argue we don't throw to the slot enough now.

So we want to put arguably our most dynamic playmaker there and make it harder for him to see the ball?

We know Jordan is lethal in space. We saw it last season.

Running backs can get the ball in space. Let's just do that with him.
I honestly don’t remember how Dino fed JJ the rock last year the few times he got it. I think part of what people are seeing is a guy built like our last slot Riley. JJ on a good day weighs 165 wet. So given both his slight stature for rb and a similar stature to our last slot who had some good moments, maybe is why they discuss slot for him. My thinking is with a guy like JJ you get creative and put him at the slot, split backfield, put him in motion, whatever you can do to create matchup advantage or space advantage.

Jordan (I think) did a lot more damage as kick returner and receiver last year.

That’s not to say that he won’t turn into a great RB but he might end up being better in open space vs trying to follow a gap between linemen.

That’s not to say that he won’t turn into a great RB but he might end up being better in open space vs trying to follow a gap between linemen.
You can get a running back in space.

Pierre has been waiting to see the field for what 2 years since being deep sixed after a fumble? You think effort would not be an issue and that missed block was just lack of effort.
I can handle a player losing A play to another player. Too lose it because lack of effort is absolutely bs from a college kid who is starving to play. U either teach it that way or u allow it to happen so we shall see which one it is this week.

This is my only-slightly educated opinion, but that seems like a difficult proposition under the current OL circumstances.
Belief without evidence.

I thought that play (I believe was in the second quarter) to have him line up 25 yards off the line of scrimmage and allow him a running start when he caught the ball was genius. This is the type of thinking. He could line up 3-4 yards behind TD for a run play and gain some speed before hitting the line. This would also give him more room to bounce if he had too (although he bounced a little too often and Dino was hot fast).
On a lighter note, has anyone ever seen a play like that before? I’ve been an avid college football fan for 25+ years and can’t ever remember anyone running something like that, let alone it actually working. My first instinct was, “um, this isn’t the CFL, so that’s illegal.” Extra strange that it was the only non-vanilla thing they ran all day.

I honestly don’t remember how Dino fed JJ the rock last year the few times he got it. I think part of what people are seeing is a guy built like our last slot Riley. JJ on a good day weighs 165 wet. So given both his slight stature for rb and a similar stature to our last slot who had some good moments, maybe is why they discuss slot for him. My thinking is with a guy like JJ you get creative and put him at the slot, split backfield, put him in motion, whatever you can do to create matchup advantage or space advantage.

He scored his only touchdown running the ball. He had 15 carries for a 7 ypc average. He only had 2 catches but they went for 87 yards because he had that one really long one and 4 kick returns for an average of 28.5 yards per KR.

He looked good everywhere and got his most touches taking handoffs.

I just don't want to see us run him right into the middle of 1500 lbs of man crack all the time.

He probably doesn't want that either.

I don't understand why anybody would.
I know a couple fellas on this board who would disagree with that sentiment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom