NY Daily News With a Dig at the SU Administration | Syracusefan.com

NY Daily News With a Dig at the SU Administration

shandeezy7

Living Legend
"If the noise coming from the Syracuse fans wasn’t enough to show they wanted their team to cut down the nets, Boeheim’s animated demeanor epitomized the value he places on this league, despite the foolish, money-driven, uneducated decision by his president and athletic director to abandon one of the great traditions in our city. It contradicts the slogan that they have on its own home court and adorns many ads on Eighth Ave. — “New York’s College Team.’’"

Foolish and uneducated, huh? Is that a description of SU or of the author of this article?

The author should ask himself if it the SU administration and fans would be happier and better off in UConn's place. That's a sour grapes statement with the underlying implication that it was SU's move that drove the break-up. This guy should have done more homework and found out who voted "yes" for the original ESPN deal to keep the league together. Sorry Charlie. TGD tried to save the league, but others wouldn't listen.

Weiss needs to retire already. His twitter account is a joke.

I guess in Weiss' world, allowing your football team (which brings in the bulk of the revenue for the AD) to rot in a terrible conference is the "wise" and "educated" decision. Do these people ever get sick of making fools of themselves?

Dear lord, he'd prefer we be in UConn's position? Syracuse has been flirting with the ACC for over 20 years. Syracuse has been a good member of the Big East and has made a lot of money for the conference and its teams over the years. I want to win this tournament so bad, but I'm going to feel the same way next year because I can't wait for us to win our first ACC Tournament.

While most of my SU friends are sad about losing the BET, I don't know anyone who is upset with the move to the ACC. The only people I know who are mad about Syracuse leaving the BE are fans of other BE schools. A Villanova friend thinks she's sticking it to me by pointing out how much I'll miss this, and I will, but she doesn't understand that I'm genuinely excited for the ACC and the opportunity to share the stage with two of the biggest blue bloods in college basketball.

"If the noise coming from the Syracuse fans wasn’t enough to show they wanted their team to cut down the nets, Boeheim’s animated demeanor epitomized the value he places on this league, despite the foolish, money-driven, uneducated decision by his president and athletic director to abandon one of the great traditions in our city. It contradicts the slogan that they have on its own home court and adorns many ads on Eighth Ave. — “New York’s College Team.’’"

Foolish and uneducated, huh? Is that a description of SU or of the author of this article?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/weiss-cuse-g-town-meet-time-article-1.1289296

Yeah, that's unnecessarily harsh. What did he expect SU to do under the circumstances? The league has been dying a slow death since 2004. Geographic rivalries had gone by the wayside, the conference was ridiculously bloated, and the Catholic 7 [and Notre Dame] were all voting their own self interests at the expense of the football schools, and in doing so weren't being especially strategic about the long term.

I was one of those posters who lamented the demise of the Big East for a LOOONG time, but my line of thinking changed when I realized that the conference wasn't the same conference that I grew up rooting for. The bloated monstrosity we had just wasn't sustainable.

I'd say that the decision to jump to the ACC wasn't "uneducated" at all--it may have been money-driven [is that even an insult?], but it sure wasn't "uneducated" or rash. Shifting to the ACC was the absolutely the right move for our University. I'd say that the author is showing a lot of sour grapes; he must be a fan of a school that got snubbed in big boy conference expansion.

Weiss needs to retire already. His twitter account is a joke.
I always want to root for Weiss but he should have retired at least ten years ago. How does he still have a job and lots of very good sportswriters are losing their jobs.

Of course, when the ACC tourney comes to MSG, Weiss will look even more foolish.

When all the angry SU fans start e-mailing Weiss, there's gonna be hell toupee.
hoops_weiss_glory_toupee_2_large.jpg

Dear lord, he'd prefer we be in UConn's position? Syracuse has been flirting with the ACC for over 20 years. Syracuse has been a good member of the Big East and has made a lot of money for the conference and its teams over the years. I want to win this tournament so bad, but I'm going to feel the same way next year because I can't wait for us to win our first ACC Tournament.

While most of my SU friends are sad about losing the BET, I don't know anyone who is upset with the move to the ACC. The only people I know who are mad about Syracuse leaving the BE are fans of other BE schools. A Villanova friend thinks she's sticking it to me by pointing out how much I'll miss this, and I will, but she doesn't understand that I'm genuinely excited for the ACC and the opportunity to share the stage with two of the biggest blue bloods in college basketball.
No doubt. The BE has been great, and the original electricity of the BET will never be replaced. But the new ACC tournament has the potential to become epic, especially if they move it to NYC. Imagine a semi-finals of Duke-Louisville and UNC-Syracuse, or any combination of those four on a Friday or Saturday night. Tell me that won't get the arena rocking.

would it be possible to bring less perspective to an issue?

always frustrating when someone this clueless is given a forum to express their moronic views

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/weiss-cuse-g-town-meet-time-article-1.1289296
That's more than a "dig" at SU and about as subtle as his hairpiece. When you lose the ability to understand the dynamics of the sport you cover, it's time to hang it up.

I guess in Weiss' world, allowing your football team (which brings in the bulk of the revenue for the AD) to rot in a terrible conference is the "wise" and "educated" decision. Do these people ever get sick of making fools of themselves?

For SU, Hoops and football bring in about the same revenue. Hoops generates much more cash because the cost of running the program is so much lower.

For SU, Hoops and football bring in about the same revenue. Hoops generates much more cash because the cost of running the program is so much lower.

This is going to change big with ACC money which is mostly football driven!

I have a friend who is flat-out pissed off about the move to the ACC. He won't go to SU football games anymore and has lost interest in the basketball team.

I'm halfway there, but I'll never stop supporting the programs. Just highly disappointed and saddened.

Sat next to a Pitt fan yesterday who is not happy with the school's move to the ACC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought it was quite a good article. Weiss writes for the people of the 5 Boroughs. The breakup of the BE is not good news for the folks in NYC.

SU administration decisions, echoed by most people on this site, are quite different. They are about what is best for SU. The Administration has a better perspective of what's best for SU than a NY daily newspaper. Still, there are no guarantees and while the move to the ACC looks like it is the best way for us to go right now, it brings with it many issues, uncertainties and challenges.

I have a friend who is flat-out pissed off about the move to the ACC. He won't go to SU football games anymore and has lost interest in the basketball team.

I'm halfway there, but I'll never stop supporting the programs. Just highly disappointed and saddened.

Sat next to a Pitt fan yesterday who is not happy with the school's move to the ACC.

Your friend sounds like a great fan.

I get the basketball disappointment, but how could anyone possibly lose interest in football over the move?

If SU turned down the ACC, UConn would have taken our slot.

The C7 was still going to break away and make a deal to keep MSG.

Either way, SU was not going to be playing in anymore conference tournaments in NYC.

Given the choice between hanging with Duke, UNC, Ga Tech etc... in Greensboro, or being with Houston, SMU, Tulane, UCF, etc ... our "uneducated chancellor and athletic director" chose wisely.

Your friend sounds like a great fan.

I get the basketball disappointment, but how could anyone possibly lose interest in football over the move?

He's been a huge hoops fan.

He's tuning out football because he believes this wouldn't have happened if not for football.

He's been a huge hoops fan.

He's tuning out football because he believes this wouldn't have happened if not for football.

To each their own. I don't get it considering we're going to be playing Louisville, Pitt, Notre Dame and BC along with SJU and Nova at least somewhat regularly. That doesn't even consider the excitement of Duke and UNC coming to the Dome regularly.

Hope you stick it out.

Sure, he'll never watch when Duke and Carolina come to the Dome. What a drama queen. Was he more excited when we played South Florida and DePaul on Senior Night? Geez. Get some perspective. We will have many of our old rivals back, plus a bunch of new teams that have brands that beat the hell out of the dreck that has been brought in to re-populate the Big East.

Two things:
(1) I believe we were ALL initially upset. Losing the tradition in the BE was/is hard.
(2) We learned to get over it.
See: "F' UConn" re; left behind".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom