NY Prospects | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NY Prospects

I think the staff gets it done this year; in general and in NY. Have a good gut feel about Ogundeko, Edwards, and Laray Smith among some other New Yorkers.

I concur and add in Wayne Williams to that list.

stole this from the UConn board:

From a recent Scout article on Laray Smith:

Smith has been to a pair of more local schools - Rutgers and Connecticut - thus far on unofficial visits. On his visits to Storrs, Smith made a connection with a coach that has turned out to be his most consistent relationship over all others recruiting him at this point.
“One coach I talked to a lot is from UConn – Coach (Jon) Wholley,” he said. “UConn is recruiting me the hardest. He’s a real good guy, I talk to him a lot, I feel like he’s like a friend now. We talk daily…often.”

between that and Wayne Morgan telling the fizz that he's not friends with Laray, but he knows the guy - I'm not feeling as optimistic about Smith as you are. Long way until next Feb, but the recruitment of LS just doesn't seem to be on the same level as some of the other kids down there - at least from the snippets I see on this board and some others.

Have no idea what the pecking order is for running backs but from the available information it seems like Augustus Edwards and Alvin Kamara are more rated higher on the Syracuse board than Laray Smith which could explain why we're not recruiting him the 'hardest'. But then again, I take all these articles with a grain of salt.

In my opinion one of the true successes of Marrones recruiting along Dr. Gross vision of “New York’s team” will be to consistently get one or two of New York States top 5 prospects or 3 or 4 of the top ten. We are trending close but not there yet. I did not consider 2009 as Marrone got a late start.
This also helps a bit to showcase, how NYS D1 football talent has fared of late in the college game.
I used Rivals as their system was easier to access. Someone may want to cross reference with Scout or ESPN?
2010 Rivals NYS Top 10
1. Dominique Easley DT Staten Island, NY (FLA) Started 12 games as a SOPH before tearing ACL
2. Daquan Jones OL Johnson City, NY (PENN ST.) Second string DT on 2012 spring depth chart
3. Jerome Lewis TE Rochester, NY (VA TECH) transferred to UMASS
4. Sean Fitzpatrick TE Pittsford, NY (UNC) Third TE on 2012 spring depth chart
5. Jordan Thomas RB Endicott, NY (RUTGERS) played RB and CB never a starter transferred to SUNY BINGHAMTON to run track
6. David Fluellen RB Lockport, NY (TOLEDO) Starting tailback 2012 spring depth chart
7. Reuben Frank DE Poughkeepsie, NY (UCONN)
8. Cole Marcoux QB Bronx, NY (DARTMUTH)
9. Christopher Brathwaite DE Flushing, NY (UVA) Starter at DT on 2012 spring depth chart
10. John Kinder QB Cedarhurst, NY (SU)
Notable SU exclusions from the Rivals Top 10- Jeramiah Kobena who had to spend a year at prep school and Malcolm Cater but we know how that ended up.
Other notable D-1 Starters not in the NYS Top 10.
Macky McPhearson-SU
Jay Bromley-SU
Lyle McCombs-UConn
James Gaines-Miami

2011 Rivals NYS Top 10
1. Ishaq Williams DE Brooklyn, NY (ND) Starting OLB 2012 spring depth chart
2. Kieran Borcich DE Bronxville, NY (BC) Second string DE on 2012 spring depth chart
3. Quentin Gause LB Rochester, NY (RUTGERS) Second string LB on 2012 spring depth chart
4. Al Page DT Bronx, NY (RUTGERS) not listed on 2012 spring two deep
5. Devon Cajuste WR Flushing, NY (STANFORD) not listed on 2012 spring two deep
6. Brandon Reddish WR Brooklyn, NY (SU) starting CB on 2012 spring two deep
7. Ashton Broyld ATH Henrietta, NY (SU)
8. Terrell Hunt QB Middle Village, NY (SU)
9. Joe Licata QB Williamsville, NY (BUFF)
10. Rush Miller DB Brooklyn, NY (PREP)
Notable SU exclusions from the Rivals Top 10-Donnie Simmons
D-1 Starters not in the NYS Top 10.
Jon Fisher- Punter SU
Josh Keyes is listed as the starting Free Safety for BC on their 2012 Spring Depth Chart
Jordan Canzeri was slated as Iowa’s starting tailback before he was derailed by a knee injury

2012 Rivals NYS Top 10
1. Chad Kelly QB Buffalo, NY (Clemson)
2. Jarron Jones DT Rochester, NY (ND)
3. Akeel Lynch RB Athol Springs, NY (PSU)
4. Sean Karl OL Manorville, NY (Virginia)
5. Wayne Morgan DB Brooklyn, NY (SU)
6. Devante McFarlane ATH Dix Hills, NY (SU)
7. Stacey Bedell ATH Mastic Beach, NY (JMU)
8. Mikal Myers DT Newburgh, NY (UCONN)
9. Jahmahl Pardner DB Rochester, NY (PITT)
10. Poncho Barnwell DE Rochester, NY (PREP)
In fairness the players in these class have a few years (at least) to prove to have effective careers. It would be interesting to re-rank them by college success in a few more years when their careers are over.
One such example is that I am betting Jay Bromley has a better career and more potential success in the NFL than Dominique Easley or Daquan Jones.

In my opinion one of the true successes of Marrones recruiting along Dr. Gross vision of “New York’s team” will be to consistently get one or two of New York States top 5 prospects or 3 or 4 of the top ten. We are trending close but not there yet. I did not consider 2009 as Marrone got a late start.
This also helps a bit to showcase, how NYS D1 football talent has fared of late in the college game.
I used Rivals as their system was easier to access. Someone may want to cross reference with Scout or ESPN?

Amazing when you look at those lists that it's all NYC/Long Island or Rochester. Nothing to speak of for Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo. Not sure what the deal is with Syracuse and Buffalo, but the Albany area has had relatively few college football stars come out of this area. A couple have made the NFL, but overall pretty lacking when you compare it to the number of local kids who have gotten D-1 basketball scholarships. I had mentioned once how the most successful local program, Shenendahowa, hasn't sent one kid to play football at Syracuse. Pretty sad. CBA of Albany has sent one, David Byrd, and I think the only kids to come out of Troy was Deval Glover and Kareem Jones. Throw in Adam Terry, Matt Tarullo, John Reagan, Tom Ciacco and Jeremy Horne and it's pretty slim after that.

Bottom line is that as much as everyone wants Cuse to recruit the top NYS kids, we're not winning anything until we increase the number of studs from NJ, PA, FLA, Louisiana and Texas.

Amazing when you look at those lists that it's all NYC/Long Island or Rochester. Nothing to speak of for Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo. Not sure what the deal is with Syracuse and Buffalo, but the Albany area has had relatively few college football stars come out of this area. A couple have made the NFL, but overall pretty lacking when you compare it to the number of local kids who have gotten D-1 basketball scholarships. I had mentioned once how the most successful local program, Shenendahowa, hasn't sent one kid to play football at Syracuse. Pretty sad. CBA of Albany has sent one, David Byrd, and I think the only kids to come out of Troy was Deval Glover and Kareem Jones. Throw in Adam Terry, Matt Tarullo, John Reagan, Tom Ciacco and Jeremy Horne and it's pretty slim after that.

Bottom line is that as much as everyone wants Cuse to recruit the top NYS kids, we're not winning anything until we increase the number of studs from NJ, PA, FLA, Louisiana and Texas.

It is pretty slim, but you forgot quite a few Albany area players. Andre Davis and Anthony Weaver both had substantial NFL careers. Davis went to rival VaTech where he was Vick's favorite target. Weaver went to Notre Dame and had Cuse in his top 5. There are others as well. The Vellano kid that went to CBA was all ACC at Maryland last year. Of course Keyes and Canzeri listed above were both Capital Region kids. Dion Lewis was another. There are more.

As for Shen (puke), they had a big lineman who walked-on at Cuse a year or two ago (Lane i think). He transferred out though.

In general, it is sad how few prospects come out of the Albany (900k), Syracuse (700k), Rochester (1m) and Buffalo (1.1m) metro areas. That's as many or more people then Oklahoma, Iowa, Connecticut, Mississippi and Arkansas. Bottom line, New York has made no commitment to high school football.

again, this doesn't mean there aren't great athletes playing high school football, just means that they most likely will need to be redshirted because of lack of playing time, training, S&C work. I can almost guarantee you that almost all the NYC kids are at least 2 sport athletes if not 3 and spend about 3 months a year thinking about football, that is it.

again, this doesn't mean there aren't great athletes playing high school football, just means that they most likely will need to be redshirted because of lack of playing time, training, S&C work. I can almost guarantee you that almost all the NYC kids are at least 2 sport athletes if not 3 and spend about 3 months a year thinking about football, that is it.
Actually a quick check of the top rated HS football players shows that almost all of them are multi sport players with many playing three sports. The diff isnt how many sports a ny hs kid plays it is the youth leagues, the competition, the coaching

It is pretty slim, but you forgot quite a few Albany area players. Andre Davis and Anthony Weaver both had substantial NFL careers. Davis went to rival VaTech where he was Vick's favorite target. Weaver went to Notre Dame and had Cuse in his top 5. There are others as well. The Vellano kid that went to CBA was all ACC at Maryland last year. Of course Keyes and Canzeri listed above were both Capital Region kids. Dion Lewis was another. There are more.

I didn't forget those kids, I was just listing kids who went to the Cuse. You throw in guys like the Dukes, Justice Smith and the other kid from Amsterdam who went to BC and was drafted by Chicago, maybe Kenny Plue and that's about it for the last 15 or 20 years for the Albany area. Pretty lean. We need the top kids but we still need to recruit heavily in the meat and potato states. There are dozens of kids from New Jersey, Florida and Texas who play D-1 football compared to one kid in upstate NY. We need to get those kids if we are ever going to be a top 20 team on a consistent basis.

;)
When I say "local" I presumed it was understood players from or playing IN Syracuse like CBA, FM Liverpool or North Syracuse. Do I have to remember every high school in Syracuse?:noidea:;)

Corey Wilkinson of Bishop Ludden is being looked at by SU to play fullback. His father told me this week. That school is on Fay Rd and is a local street.

Corey Wilkinson of Bishop Ludden is being looked at by SU to play fullback. His father told me this week. That school is on Fay Rd and is a local street.
Wilkerson was listed at 6'0 215 pounds on the 2011 BL football roster. 9 catches for 84 yards and 4 TDs in 2011. That is a good day for a receiver in a good Florida program.

Wilkerson was listed at 6'0 215 pounds on the 2011 BL football roster. 9 catches for 84 yards and 4 TDs in 2011. That is a good day for a receiver in a good Florida program.

He much bigger than that right now and quite a shotputter. Also, at times runs the 100 on the track team. His father certainly wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. His father won the Herald Amateur twice, so he probably only exaggerates on the length of his drives. BTW, only replying to the statement about local talent and what I heard. The kid is a great athlete regardless of his football numbers.

I believe it. Was going to comment on the lack of sophistication on the part of coaches in CNY, who tend to run old school run oriented offenses that do not give the skilled people much of a chance to shine. It seems like this has been getting better in recent years. More schools are using the passing attack and embracing spread type offenses. Let's hope that continues. Will add Wilkerson to the database this weekend.

I believe it. Was going to comment on the lack of sophistication on the part of coaches in CNY, who tend to run old school run oriented offenses that do not give the skilled people much of a chance to shine. It seems like this has been getting better in recent years. More schools are using the passing attack and embracing spread type offenses. Let's hope that continues. Will add Wilkerson to the database this weekend.

That's a great point Tom. I recently had this talk with some of my fellow coaches down here in NC. We run a Wing T offense, but it's not getting some of our playmakers the chance to make a name for themselves. We have a Junior WR/CB who is 6'2 185, ran a 4.61 at the high school combine a couple weeks ago and is benching 300 right now, but we are not getting him involved in the offense because we pass it, 3 times a game. I'm a spread guy so it is a bit frustrating, but I get the point. Old school coaches are not helping their players with the old school running offense.

Plus who would you rather get Edwards, Kamara, Smith...or Rouse?
It doesn't have to be either or. Think a bit bigger and more aggressively if not realistically.Go for them all and you might get two .. It isn't all or nothing here.

It doesn't have to be either or. Think a bit bigger and more aggressively if not realistically.Go for them all and you might get two .. It isn't all or nothing here.
We're talking about how much time the coaches are spending on these kids. We took too RBs last year and Broyld looks to be a third. We have no graduating RBs. We have much more pressing concerns (OL/DL/LB/WR). The kid is 5'7" and doesn't even have elite speed and has already shouldered a huge workload since he was a freshman. Pick out two to go hard for (Edwards and Kamara) and then see what happens with Smith. Rouse is probably so far down SU's board he'll never be more than a contingency plan for a royally screwed up class. Seriously? Like they have unlimited time to spend recruiting these kids right? Maybe it's time you start thinking a bit bigger as in the fact that we don't need to waste time recruiting 4 RBs when we have 7-8 on the roster already! It definitely does have to be either or.

We're talking about how much time the coaches are spending on these kids. We took too RBs last year and Broyld looks to be a third. We have no graduating RBs. We have much more pressing concerns (OL/DL/LB/WR). The kid is 5'7" and doesn't even have elite speed and has already shouldered a huge workload since he was a freshman. Pick out two to go hard for (Edwards and Kamara) and then see what happens with Smith. Rouse is probably so far down SU's board he'll never be more than a contingency plan for a royally screwed up class. Seriously? Like they have unlimited time to spend recruiting these kids right? Maybe it's time you start thinking a bit bigger as in the fact that we don't need to waste time recruiting 4 RBs when we have 7-8 on the roster already! It definitely does have to be either or.
I didn't know he was 5-7 which unless he has super elite speed is a bit small for Doug's kind of running game. Rene rarely sees the field except to not field punts. All or nothing is putting too many eggs in the proverbial basket with a frayed handle.

I didn't know he was 5-7 which unless he has super elite speed is a bit small for Doug's kind of running game. Rene rarely sees the field except to not field punts. All or nothing is putting too many eggs in the proverbial basket with a frayed handle.
It's not all or nothing if you go after three kids with two as the focus now is it? AAM will likely never even be a factor here, we don't need projects. They're focusing on other things

That's a bold statement...
Bold and unlikely to be true. An out of shape "kid" can't be written off that soon in his career. When he puts it together in his head things could be radically different on the field for him. Look at a guy like Dion Waiters Early on a "jerk" and then it came together. Stop looking for AAM to be Jim Bo Nance in carnate. My advice to the kid would be improve your blocking and get on the field as a FB and short yardage guy. Also work on catching the ball for screens and out passes .

It's not all or nothing if you go after three kids with two as the focus now is it? AAM will likely never even be a factor here, we don't need projects. They're focusing on other things
Jeez I remember when he was such a popular recruit...

My advice to the kid would be improve your blocking and get on the field as a FB and short yardage guy. Also work on catching the ball for screens and out passes .
My point exactly, with Morris and McFarlane coming in AAM's chances go way down, especially with the emergence of Smith rather than PTG as the top guy. By the time Smith and PTG are done Morris/Broyld/McFarlane will leave very little room for AAm to play at tailback. He is destined for FB. Imagine his situation if we get Kamara.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom