NY Times - SU & Pitt To ACC June 2014 | Syracusefan.com

NY Times - SU & Pitt To ACC June 2014

G

GoCuse44

Pete Thamel is now reporting the following (I hope it's not accurate):

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/s...jitters-calm-returns-to-college-football.html

"THE BIG EAST At the Big East’s meeting in New York on Tuesday, one of the main themes was not acting rashly. For the 2012 and 2013 football seasons, the Big East will have 10 members. Pittsburgh and Syracuse will leave in June 2014. The league requires 27 months’ notice to exit, a rule that none other than the Pittsburgh chancellor, Mark Nordenberg, helped install after seeing how harmful the quick exits of Miami and Virginia Tech were to the conference.
The Big East’s first look will be to add Navy and Air Force as football-only members. Those are the only colleges that all the presidents agreed would be valuable additions. Contact could be made with them as early as the end of this week. (Army is happy as an independent.) "

The lawyers will work that out. 27 months will be the BE party line until a separation agreement is reached. I suspect the longest we'd stay in the BE would be through next year.

Maybe Navy and Air Force might have been considered good FB only additions a week or so ago also? Just saying ...

Nordenburg helped draft the policy, and Nordenburg himself implied that it was negotiable during the ACC teleconference. I think he would know better than anyone.

Maybe Navy and Air Force might have been considered good FB only additions a week or so ago also? Just saying ...

I'm sure if they were announced last week we would have rationalized why it was a good thing.

Of course we'd also have been wondering why with the impending collapse of the B12 we were adding them.

Disappointing. Was hoping Rutgers and UConn would join the ACC shortly.

I'm sure if they were announced last week we would have rationalized why it was a good thing.

Of course we'd also have been wondering why with the impending collapse of the B12 we were adding them.
Well that's true but I always wanted to see Navy join as a FB only. Always thought they did not want in. We'll see if this is a smoke and mirrors rumor.

That's the problem with Big East - football only & basketball only - PAC 12 and Big 10 does and hopefully ACC 14 will stand strong in being all in or nothing. Why don't they get it?

Yeah, I've found it kind of funny reading some of the Tweets, like from Axe, "Navy? That was your plan?". Well, we asked Penn State and they said maybe, but we didn't have time to wait.

What non BCS Conf team would have made people say good idea? Boise? Regional may be a thing of the past, but Idaho?!?

im still smoking cigars and drinking cognac here.

i couldnt give a fluck.

SU is in the ACC.

army, navy, air force...marines!!!

come on......

:rolling:

2 reasons for realignment...

1. the longhorn network
2. the bigleast, i mean bigmidwest, i mean big east.

:eek:

Pete Thamel is now reporting the following (I hope it's not accurate):

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/s...jitters-calm-returns-to-college-football.html

"THE BIG EAST At the Big East’s meeting in New York on Tuesday, one of the main themes was not acting rashly. For the 2012 and 2013 football seasons, the Big East will have 10 members. Pittsburgh and Syracuse
will leave in June 2014.
The league requires 27 months’ notice to exit, a rule that none other than the Pittsburgh chancellor, Mark Nordenberg, helped install after seeing how harmful the quick exits of Miami and Virginia Tech were to the conference.
The Big East’s first look will be to add Navy and Air Force as football-only members. Those are the only colleges that all
the presidents agreed would be valuable additions. Contact could be made with them as early as the end of this week. (Army is happy as an independent.) "

It could get embarrassing if either PItt or SU was the BCS bowl team in these years. So it might not be all bad if this is the case and gives DM more time to improve recruiting

Wonder if this'll change if Louisville and WVa are suddenly leaving for the BXII before long

It isn't important to me to go to the ACC right away.

In basketball history is so rich that I wouldn't mind seeing one or two years of a Big East swan song. I think people are overestimating the hard feelings. By then at least one other program, and most likely three others, will be on there way out. And the majority of those that stay will realize they don't have a dog in the football fight and the basketball side of things is still more than strong enough to survive. I have wanted to hit the BET for a long time, so my new goal is to go to the final one featuring CUSE and the first ACC tourney featuring CUSE.

As far as football goes... everyone wants to get there as quickly as possible... I don't actually see it dragging on until 2014, more like an extra year. So the question for me is, how do we want to spend the year that could be the early culmination of Marrone's work, reaching the national level for the first time? With the added size, experience, and depth on defense, to go with what should be a good offense featuring a senior-leader in Nassib, we have BIG potential next year. Are we better off spending that year killing it in the Big East one last time, and shooting for a BCS bowl, but then breaking in a new QB while trying to navigate our first year of ACC play? Or are we better off spending next year in the ACC, where it will be tougher to reach our ceiling, but at least we have an experienced passer to help us quickly establish respectability amongst our new conference-mates?

im still smoking cigars and drinking cognac here.

i couldnt give a fluck.

SU is in the ACC.

army, navy, air force...marines!!!

come on......

:rolling:

2 reasons for realignment...

1. the longhorn network
2. the bigleast, i mean bigmidwest, i mean big east.

:eek:

completely agree but I want in the ACC today because of the pay raise, the athletic dept could use it

Agreed, IB. But I also want in the ACC today because the sooner we can ditch UConn and Rutgers, even if only for a few years until another/final round of expansion, the sooner we can leave them in the dust, cement the NY viewing market to the furthest extent possible, and the more we can bury them recruiting- ACC vs. the BigEastMidwest12. Games in Miami or Atlanta vs. games in Iowa City or Lawrence, KS.

The 2012 football team will feature a lot of returning experience, including a QB who'll be starting for his 3rd year. 2013 won't have that to offer.

Disappointing. Was hoping Rutgers and UConn would join the ACC shortly.
Why?Why wouldn't we want to bury them ASAP?Us in the ACC and them left in the crumbling BE means we own them in recruiting.I dont get why any SU fan would want either of them to be brought in.

The 2012 football team will feature a lot of returning experience, including a QB who'll be starting for his 3rd year. 2013 won't have that to offer.

But we will have QBs that have been in the program for a few years ready to step in. There was a lot of hand-wringing on the hill after Donnie Mc graduated, but Philcox did quite well. And God forbid something happens to Nassib and the backups get a lot of PT before then. By the time Nassib moves on, we should have enough depth in the program that we don't get decimated by players graduating.

If they're going to actually hold us hostage, we should make it as uncomfortable as possible for all involved. Start with replacing the Block S on the helmets with:

ACC-logo.jpg