NYS Football classification numbers will likely change for 2018 | Syracusefan.com

NYS Football classification numbers will likely change for 2018

Here are the new numbers, with the current numbers in parentheses:

Class AA -- 1,025 and above (930 and above)

Class A -- 585-1,024 (570-929)

Class B -- 355-584 (365-569)

Class C -- 230-354 (240-364)

Class D -- 229 and under (239 and under)

The net effect on Section III football would be relatively small, according to football committee co-chairmen Bob Campese.

Using enrollment numbers for the 2017-18 school year, the latest available, current Class AA classified schools Auburn (955) and Central Square (949) would drop down into Class A after next season.

i almost wonder if it needs to be more than just enrollment counts.. the roster size of the c-d schools is killing most of them.

Weird seeing those enrollment numbers. I'm used to dealing with 3,000+ down here. I did, however, attend Poland Central when I was a kid and I think there were only like 400 kids from K-12!

Lafayette, FP, and Tully are merged to form the southern hills football team. I get the numbers but I hate the idea of merging with a blood rival.

Weird seeing those enrollment numbers. I'm used to dealing with 3,000+ down here. I did, however, attend Poland Central when I was a kid and I think there were only like 400 kids from K-12!
Love Alamo Bar & Grill!!

The leadership on this issue is not good. The adults need to tell the smaller schools - you need to have 20 kids healthy and dressed (no Frosh) for each game or you can't field a team. I believe the minimum number required has been shrinking so that schools can keep programs. I get it - football is awesome, and a valuable experience for all, but part of that is the ability to practice, improve, and not get your head beat in. Section 3's eight man experiment drew what 4 teams? I bet more than that fold their season foolishly being allowed to try to field 11 man teams.

the lack of undert standing of how good 8 man would be for the smaller schools is clear.. they should make all Ds play 8 man and if you want to play 11 man you play up. It would be even better if C did it too and perhaps make it one class. Bed size and roster size wouldnt matter as much with 8 man teams.

Section 3 is starting 8 man football starting this fall. Currently there are only 4 schools that will field teams.