NYS proposes bill to directly pay collegiate athletes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NYS proposes bill to directly pay collegiate athletes

This is a good point. How does one stop those schools with deep-pocketed alumni from doing something like this and gaining unfair advantage over other schools that do not have like resources?

I would think that there may be a cap placed on the amounts that athletes could receive in these situations or some other such regulations or limitations.

Also I just don't understand why the value of the scholarships never seems to be taken into account. These range anywhere from $100K to over $250K depending on which school these athletes attend. I realize that in some cases the ROI for the universities is much greater, but still, that kind of value should be taken into account.

Perhaps people might start valuing a scholarship if it was taxed as income. Yes, I know this would not work unless the stipend was increased to cover the amount that would have to be paid in as income tax.

Whether you think the education is worth the money or not, thats the cost. Whether or not the student-athletes take advantage of that opportunity is up to them.
Either way, it's a thing of great value that is provided to them in exchange for their athletic performance.

Last edited:
Whether you think the education is worth the money or not, thats the cost. Whether or not the student-athletes take advantage of that opportunity is up to them.
Either way, it's a thing of great value that is provided to them in exchange for their athletic performance.

Yeah, people do tend to neglect this rather glaring part of the equation.

Get it all above the table, and let them be paid. All money goes into a trust, the money you earn goes to you once you graduate. If you don't, the money falls into a general fund for all the student athletes in your conference for that sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom