O'Bannon case "could put NCAA out of business..." | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

O'Bannon case "could put NCAA out of business..."

I'm kind of torn about this. I'm concerned that a ruling against the NCAA would make it all but impossible for all but a handful of schools to really compete in any sport. Once OSU, Florida, Michigan, Alabama, etc. decide they want to dominate a sport they'll have the boosters and local businessmen go out there and sign any player they want because they'll be able to offer the most money.

On the other hand, a lot of people have gotten very rich off the backs of football and basketball players. I realize they get an education and what not, but Nick Saban gets this as a vacation home:

original.jpg

I don't begrudge Saban or any of the coaches who have succeeded. I just think its horribly unfair that these kids cannot profit off of their fame. For most of them, their fame is incredibly fleeting and ends nationally the minute they are gone from the team. It stops being marketable locally within a few years depending on how big a star they were. Coaches can pick up and go and take the next best offer while the athletes have to sit out a year or get suspended from accepting a free meal or trip from an agent.

And as an organization, it is pretty impossible to love the NCAA. I played D3 tennis and the meetings and rules we had for compliance were insane for a sport that no one (not us, our coaches or parents) cared about. The NCAA is also the same organization that decided to ban hashtags on football fields for some unknown and stupid reason while dragging its feet and holding Miami and Syracuse in this seemingly perpetual state of limbo regarding its investigation. It really is an organization that deserves to be destroyed under the weight of its own sense of self importance. I just worry about what it would mean for Syracuse and the other schools like us that wont be afford to keep up.

And here's another take if you're interested:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-02/the-lawsuit-that-could-bring-down-the-ncaa.html

Ok and the other side of the coin is ... was Saban living like that when he played DB at Kent St or even an assistant there? Nope ... He had to live like every other student ... they just need to suck it up buttercup. They want to live the NBA while they are college students ... they have room and board ... good grief. They don't even need to finish school to go into their chosen profession while people like me did. The one thing the NCAA needs to do is something about health insurance ... that is the issue that needs to be remedied immediately!

The one thing the NCAA needs to do is something about health insurance ... that is the issue that needs to be remedied immediately!

Don't even get me started on that topic... I have hi through my employer but my wife who is a stay at home grandma pays $475/month and when I complained to my doctor about it he said, "Hell, that's a great deal, don't complain"... Health in this country is running out of control...

Don't even get me started on that topic... I have hi through my employer but my wife who is a stay at home grandma pays $475/month and when I complained to my doctor about it he said, "Hell, that's a great deal, don't complain"... Health in this country is running out of control...

In about a week I will be working on 1099s and I will be paying nearly $900/mo for my wife and two children and myself through Kaiser P ... ugh.

Ok and the other side of the coin is ... was Saban living like that when he played DB at Kent St or even an assistant there? Nope ... He had to live like every other student ... they just need to suck it up buttercup. They want to live the NBA while they are college students ... they have room and board ... good grief. They don't even need to finish school to go into their chosen profession while people like me did. The one thing the NCAA needs to do is something about health insurance ... that is the issue that needs to be remedied immediately!

I've always thought it would be funny if the teams in the Final Four refused to play. $6b to the NCAA from CBS and not a penny of it to the players who millions watch and cheer for. I would feel bad for the people in attendance, but what a wonderfully giant "f*** you" to the NCAA that would be.

Attitudes like yours that don't appreciate the billions of dollars made off of free labor make me almost hope the NCAA is blown up, despite the fact that a major change to college sports will make my life from Labor to Memorial Day a lot less fun.

The NCAA seems to be a trust that should be destroyed. Let the players make as much money as they can for as long as they can.

I've always thought it would be funny if the teams in the Final Four refused to play. $6b to the NCAA from CBS and not a penny of it to the players who millions watch and cheer for. I would feel bad for the people in attendance, but what a wonderfully giant "f*** you" to the NCAA that would be.

Attitudes like yours that don't appreciate the billions of dollars made off of free labor make me almost hope the NCAA is blown up, despite the fact that a major change to college sports will make my life from Labor to Memorial Day a lot less fun.

The NCAA seems to be a trust that should be destroyed. Let the players make as much money as they can for as long as they can.

LOL ... free labor ... OK ... sorry coming from someone who had to pay his way through college I am not sobbing for them, the school nor my mommy and daddy payed my way. Free room, board and tuition is a Godsend ... I spent 8 years paying off student loans ... they won't have to. If the NCAA bothers you so much then don't watch it and boycott. I don't agree with the NCAA or everything they do ... frankly the organization sucks as a whole ... but I am not a fan of paying these kids ... it will totally make the landscape uneven and ruin competitive college athletics if they don't do it right.

LOL ... free labor ... OK ... sorry coming from someone who had to pay his way through college I am not sobbing for them, the school nor my mommy and daddy payed my way. Free room, board and tuition is a Godsend ... I spent 8 years paying off student loans ... they won't have to. If the NCAA bothers you so much then don't watch it and boycott. I don't agree with the NCAA or everything they do ... frankly the organization sucks as a whole ... but I am not a fan of paying these kids ... it will totally make the landscape uneven and ruin competitive college athletics if they don't do it right.

I'm still paying my student loans off 10 years after graduating, so I understand that sentiment.

I don't want the athletes to be paid by the schools. I want them to be able to earn money off of their names and likeness. I want them to be able to take cash from from agents and to be able to appear in commercials or ads that they actually get paid for since they already appear in ads and video games and commemorative videos and on t shirts that they get nothing for.

Everyone else is allowed to get rich off college sports. The labor should have the opportunity to as well. If the high major football and basketball players were ever smart enough to organize they could probably change the system to their benefit in a short amount of time. Refusing to play in the NCAA tournament would have the biggest direct hit to the NCAA. It would be fun to watch.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I'm still paying my student loans off 10 years after graduating, so I understand that sentiment.

I don't want the athletes to be paid by the schools. I want them to be able to earn money off of their names and likeness. I want them to be able to take cash from from agents and to be able to appear in commercials or ads that they actually get paid for since they already appear in ads and video games and commemorative videos and on t shirts that they get nothing for.

Everyone else is allowed to get rich off college sports. The labor should have the opportunity to as well. If the high major football and basketball players were ever smart enough to organize they could probably change the system to their benefit in a short amount of time. Refusing to play in the NCAA tournament would have the biggest direct hit to the NCAA. It would be fun to watch.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

And again my point is guys like Saban got rich from college sports after participating in that sport and receiving nothing but working his ass off to get somewhere ... I understand what you are saying however this is too slippery a slope to manage by anyone let alone the NCAA which is a joke. Even if they are being paid for their likeness and name it will cause unbalance in the NCAA ... I don't see as many people running to the store to pull Seton Hall bball jerseys off the hangars ... not nearly as many as the Cuse or UK or the like ... it just creates a larger divide between programs. How many Jacksonville State jerseys do you think they sell a year? It makes a big problem bigger ... maybe if ole Ed O'Bannon spent more time practicing in his driveway instead of cooking up lawsuits his pro career would have panned out a little better and he wouldn't have to rely on lawsuits to generate revenue. The only part of the lawsuit I agree with is post graduation revenues ... it should not occur while the kids are in school since chances are if it is post graduation the school they select probably won't strictly be decided by the ability to sell jerseys while the kids are on campus. However then the NCAA will start selling jerseys without names and people will just custom order them anyway ... then what will ole Ed do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom