Obligatory post on trip to Crisler Center at U of Michigan for tonight's game... | Syracusefan.com

Obligatory post on trip to Crisler Center at U of Michigan for tonight's game...

cto

Administrator
Just got home, so this will be kind of quick.

Crisler Center at the University of Michigan is a very nice on-campus arena. I gather it seats only about 13,000, but it felt bigger. Very large and active student attendance; students (including their band) had the entire area behind our basket and also the section behind the visitors bench (in back of the first four rows which are given to the visiting team). Students act like Duke wannabes, doing that crazy jumping up and down thing, along with choreographed hand motions.

I have always liked "The Victors," Michigan's fight song, but after tonight I would be happy if I never heard it again. The pep band (which was very good) played it incessantly... at every break in the action. Aside from another Michigan song (the alma mater?) played at the end of the game and the National Anthem, it was the only song they played all night. BTW, Tomcat, the band had at least 12 tubas... more than our marching band! And the tuba players went onto the court at halftime to do a little concert of their own. Tom, you would have loved it.

It was nice to see both Dave Bing and Derrick Coleman there together... perhaps our two most reknowned players. However, when Derrick tried to take one step onto the court at halftime to say hello to one of our players, an armed woman police officer forcibly stopped him and started to push him off the court. "He's Derrick Coleman," I brightly said. "I know," she replied, "and I don't care." Of all the security folks at all the arenas I've attended, she had the most prominent firearm strapped to her body.

At the comparatively small restaurant prior to the game, I ran into Bayside. What are the odds of that? He was there with some bigs from the State of Michigan government.

The 80 or so Syracuse fans with whom I was sitting (essentially from the Syracuse and NYC areas) had pretty much the same reaction to the game that I quickly perused here on the board. Happy with the comeback, but frustrated with the inability to take advantage of those three wasted opportunities at the end ... where we did not get off a single shot. But they chalked it up to inexperience .. especially the 19 turnovers. It sure felt good when we came back from a 10-point deficit ... but very deflating when we were not able to finish anything at the end.

We drove past "The Big House," which I had never seen before. It sure is BIG and very impressive looking from the outside. And all of the campus we saw during our quick visit seemed very attractive ... with a much bigger version of Marshall Street in the middle of it. All in all, it looked like a very nice place to go to school (in addition to being one of the nation's premier public universities).

Finally, the chartered plane the 12 of us flew from White Plains to Ann Arbor was painted maize and blue (the colors of the charter company, as well as the Michigan colors). Some of us thought this could not be a good omen. It wasn't.

Last edited:
Im a Michigan Grad and the secret is we are more sick of the song than anyone. It was a great place to go to school except for the dang winters...those long walks at 7 AM to get to a 4 hour chem lab ARE NOT MISSED...shoot, I thought it was cold THEN having grown up in St. Lawrence county, I dont think I could survive the spring or fall now that my blood has been thinned out

Thanks for the summary, CTO.

I just want to say that I had a completely different impression of the "Big House" from the outside. Since it is bowled into the ground, it actually looks a lot SMALLER from the outside than I expected. Basically, it is a one story edifice at ground level. If you didn't know what was inside, you might not even know that it was an actual stadium [let alone one of the biggest in college football].

Saw you on TV during the game, looking worried in the background when the camera was focused on JB for an extended period of time during one stoppage of play.

I just want to say that I had a completely different impression of the "Big House" from the outside. Since it is bowled into the ground, it actually looks a lot SMALLER from the outside than I expected. Basically, it is a one story edifice at ground level. If you didn't know what was inside, you might not even know that it was an actual stadium [let alone one of the biggest in college football].
I drove past the Michigan stadium hundreds of times during the 21 years that I lived just outside Ann Arbor. I was inside only once; I would call it the EMPTY HOUSE because that is the way it looked by halftime when Donovan McNabb toyed with them.

Crisler Center at the University of Michigan is a very nice on-campus arena. I gather it seats only about 13,000, but it felt bigger. Very large and active student attendance; students (including their band) had the entire area behind our basket and also the section behind the visitors bench (in back of the first four rows which are given to the visiting team). Students act like Duke wannabes, doing that crazy jumping up and down thing, along with choreographed hand motions.

I have always liked "The Victors," Michigan's fight song, but after tonight I would be happy if I never heard it again. The pep band (which was very good) played it incessantly... at every break in the action. Aside from another Michigan song (the alma mater?) played at the end of the game and the National Anthem, it was the only song they played all night. BTW, Tomcat, the band had at least 12 tubas... more than our marching band! And the tuba players went onto the court at halftime to do a little concert of their own. Tom, you would have loved it.

It was nice to see both Dave Bing and Derrick Coleman there together... perhaps our two most reknowned players. However, when Derrick tried to take one step onto the court at halftime to say hello to one of our players, an armed woman police officer forcibly stopped him and started to push him off the court. "He's Derrick Coleman," I brightly said. "I know," she replied, "and I don't care." Of all the security folks at all the arenas I've attended, she had the most prominent firearm strapped to her body.

At the comparatively small restaurant prior to the game, I ran into Bayside. What are the odds of that? He was there with some bigs from the State of Michigan government.

The 80 or so Syracuse fans with whom I was sitting (essentially from the Syracuse and NYC areas) had pretty much the same reaction to the game that I quickly perused here on the board. Happy with the comeback, but frustrated with the inability to take advantage of those three opportunities at the end ... where we did not get off a single shot. But they chalked it up to inexperience .. especially the 19 turnovers. It sure felt good when we came back from a 10-point deficit ... but very deflating when we were not able to finish anything at the end.

We drove past "The Big House," which I had never seen before. It sure is BIG and very impressive looking from the outside. And all of the campus we saw during our quick visit seemed very attractive ... with a much bigger version of Marshall Street in the middle of it. All in all, it looked like a very nice place to go to school (in addition to being one of the nation's premier public universities).

Finally, the chartered plane the 12 of us flew from White Plains to Ann Arbor was painted maize and blue (the colors of the charter company). Some of us thought this did not be a good omen. It wasn't.
Thank you for submitting a great report. I find it is exceedingly difficult for a team to defeat another team that has such an overwhelming sousaphone advantage.

Somewhere, John Philip is smiling. I feel sure of it.

Sousa1.jpg

Great post and I regret not going. Michigan is a very strong music school. Much like USC, OSU, Cincinnati, and Indiana, brass players in the pep band win major symphony gigs or other brass ensemble (President's Own Army/Marine Band) gigs. Michigan gets terrific string, piano, and vocal performance majors as well. It's a great place. Love Ann Arbor.

I would have demanded they either paint the plane or change it out for another one, lol. Also saw you on that extended time on TV. Someone posted it on facebook and linked it to you. You were actually looking up at the scoreboard, and while you looked worried, we had actually just taken a lead again. It looked like a really fun game to be at.
I sat in the middle of the Michigan fans and behind the band in Atlanta. Last night bought back those awful memories.

The 80 or so Syracuse fans with whom I was sitting (essentially from the Syracuse and NYC areas) had pretty much the same reaction to the game that I quickly perused here on the board. Happy with the comeback, but frustrated with the inability to take advantage of those three wasted opportunities at the end ... where we did not get off a single shot. But they chalked it up to inexperience .. especially the 19 turnovers. It sure felt good when we came back from a 10-point deficit ... but very deflating when we were not able to finish anything at the end.

Finally, the chartered plane the 12 of us flew from White Plains to Ann Arbor was painted maize and blue (the colors of the charter company). Some of us thought this did not be a good omen. It wasn't.

Great summary, CTO. Thank you for sharing. I've heard nothing but great things about Ann Arbor and the UM campus.

If I was that security guard's boss, and her instructions were to not let anyone but players/coaches/authorized personnel on the court, and she took it upon herself to make an exception, I would fire her.

Im a Michigan Grad and the secret is we are more sick of the song than anyone.

Speak for yourself. You're the only person connected to UofM that I have ever heard say that.

Speak for yourself. You're the only person connected to UofM that I have ever heard say that.
He isn't cut out to be a rocket scientist, huh?

Thank you for submitting a great report. I find it is exceedingly difficult for a team to defeat another team that has such an overwhelming sousaphone advantage.

Somewhere, John Philip is smiling. I feel sure of it.

Sousa1.jpg
Is he smiling in the picture?

Yes, that is what someone who is of Portuguese, Spanish and Bavarian ancestry looks like when they smile. Note the jaunty curl of his moustache.

To play devil's advocate I'm going to guess not. Often in an earlier day and age photographs were taken more seriously. Of course as you mentioned, he may not look any different when he is smiling. He could have an evil grimace taking cover under there for all I know.

its something most dont care to talk about aloud for fear of retribution...its like keyser soze

The Chop House
I never went there. If you had asked, I would have recommended Mongolian Barbeque--you pile up what you want stir-fried, they fry it while you watch and spice it to your desire.

I never went there. If you had asked, I would have recommended Mongolian Barbeque--you pile up what you want stir-fried, they fry it while you watch and spice it to your desire.
I did not pick the restaurant. There were 20 of us, and one of the guys had reserved the entire back room. It was your basic steak house... which meant I ate about 1/3 of the food on my plate. I just thought it was funny that Bayside happened to be dining in the same place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom