obligatory punting thread | Syracusefan.com

obligatory punting thread

Millhouse

Living Legend
marrone might've helped me avoid a heart attack and shortened nights sleep if he would just stop punting inside the 40. both times, missou ended up right where they punted from a few plays later even though one of those times the punt was perfect.

lots of progress, lots of growth all around. hopefully it comes to the punting game

Thinking that saving 5 yards is more important than saving a timeout, when it's the 2nd half and you're losing by a TD, was my one moment of heart stoppage. This was the play where we made a half hearted attempt at drawing them offside (and the guy jumped but we didn't snap it), and then called timeout. We were lucky that it didn't impact us.

marrone might've helped me avoid a heart attack and shortened nights sleep if he would just stop punting inside the 40. both times, missou ended up right where they punted from a few plays later even though one of those times the punt was perfect.

lots of progress, lots of growth all around. hopefully it comes to the punting game
I usually don't do this but I was yelling at my TV last night when he was punting from the 37! There's no point whatsoever. 95% of the time you're changing field position by 15 yards. Silly.

Thinking that saving 5 yards is more important than saving a timeout, when it's the 2nd half and you're losing by a TD, was my one moment of heart stoppage. This was the play where we made a half hearted attempt at drawing them offside (and the guy jumped but we didn't snap it), and then called timeout. We were lucky that it didn't impact us.

I missed it, but wondered who called the timeout on that ? Was it Nassib or the sideline? Because when they showed Marrone after the TO call he looked pissed; shaking his head with that scowl. I assumed Nassib maybe called the TO and wasn't supposed to?

i'm tempted to post a screen capture of the profane, irate, misspelled texts between myself and the drunk guy from ohio immediately after that one

i'm tempted to post a screen capture of the profane, irate, misspelled texts between myself and the drunk guy from ohio immediately after that one

Hey - the misspellings were iPhone auto corrects. The irate part was definitely all me.

i think sometimes the coaches value the 5 yards way to much on those types of plays. saving the TO is much bigger deal.

much like Pitt costing them a chance to win the game by calling a stupid TO before the two minute warning last night. or the team that was down 21 scored a TD and went for two? really does no one on the staff talk when dumb decisions like that are made?

I missed it, but wondered who called the timeout on that ? Was it Nassib or the sideline? Because when they showed Marrone after the TO call he looked pissed; shaking his head with that scowl. I assumed Nassib maybe called the TO and wasn't supposed to?

Possible, but he could have just been upset because we didn't snap the ball when the defensive guy jumped, which was the whole point of lining up in the first place.

We're always told that a key to the game is winning the turnover battle. A punt is a turnover and I don't understand why coaches are so eager to punt.

We're always told that a key to the game is winning the turnover battle. A punt is a turnover and I don't understand why coaches are so eager to punt.
A punt is a turnover? Who knew?

I'm waiting for a coach to have his QB just shotput the ball into the endzone on 4th down.

If you get the TD, sweet.

If it's picked, so what?

If it drops to the ground, eh, you tried.

This makes me crazy.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321118029

So Carolina punts on 4th and 1 from midfield with an 8 pt lead. Tampa scores, converts 2 pt, then wins in overtime

AP recap of the game

"But after a 40-yard field goal by Connor Barth, the Panthers' offense couldn't put the game away and had to punt."

Ho hum, they HAD to punt. What is the point of having Cam Newton be your qb if you can't go for it there.

Ho hum the punt goes into the endzone.

Had they gone for it, failed and Tampa won, it would've been the headline and a bunch of knuckleads at a big desk would having a meeting of their ECG minds yelling at each other about it

the problem with marrones' fourth down gambit is the fact that he is so UBERCONSERVATIVE that the bluff carries absolutely no weight or credibility whatsoever. who here SERIOUSLY thought we were snapping that ball???
he basically wasted the TO due to his own stubborn tendencies which thank god we did not need. would love playing poker against him.

This makes me crazy.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321118029

So Carolina punts on 4th and 1 from midfield with an 8 pt lead. Tampa scores, converts 2 pt, then wins in overtime

AP recap of the game

"But after a 40-yard field goal by Connor Barth, the Panthers' offense couldn't put the game away and had to punt."

Ho hum, they HAD to punt. What is the point of having Cam Newton be your qb if you can't go for it there.

Ho hum the punt goes into the endzone.

Had they gone for it, failed and Tampa won, it would've been the headline and a bunch of knuckleads at a big desk would having a meeting of their ECG minds yelling at each other about it
Keep in mind too that Newton's huge.

It was Marrones decision. He described it as a "good gamble" in the post game presser. It was stupid.

I need to get a screen capture of my texts with him too. I think after his initial text I said "I'm not sure who you are, but I'm pretty sure I don't like you, so don't ever text me again". But I need that screen capture to confirm.

It was Marrones decision. He described it as a "good gamble" in the post game presser. It was stupid.

Good gamble my ass. Very fortunate there and the TO was a huge mistake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom