Observations & Expectations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Observations & Expectations

It wasn't like GT was churning out yards.
Even though I love the aggressive and opportunistic play of this D (really great coaching job by White) GT "churned out" 275 nets rushing yards. That stat is not good omen and will need to be addressed going forward.

You can't play the 'if' game. Fact is through three games our takeaways are more a trend than a one off.
It's called looking at things through a realistic lens rather than glossing over the facts. Don't get me wrong, at the end of the day, I'll take a W no matter how we get it. However, my point is that if we don't improve on offense, we're in trouble. The 37-20 score looks great, but beneath the surface, there remain significant concerns. Also, while the D did a fantastic job forcing turnovers, they must do a better stopping the run.

It's called looking at things through a realistic lens rather than glossing over the facts. Don't get me wrong, at the end of the day, I'll take a W no matter how we get it. However, my point is that if we don't improve on offense, we're in trouble. The 37-20 score looks great, but beneath the surface, there remain significant concerns. Also, while the D did a fantastic job forcing turnovers, they must do a better stopping the run.

agreed...and if we don't get turnovers it'll naturally be harder to win. But so far we're taking the ball away. I thought it was a gift to have 3 vs UNC but we got 2 at Pitt and 5 vs Georgia Tech. Opportunistic.

In terms of stopping the run we did 2 out of 3 games. UNC 160, Pitt 127. We'll see where we go.

Our D has given up
UNC 463 loss
Pitt 342 loss
GT 453 win

If our offense can actually become functional, those yards don't matter. We played good enough Defense to win the other two games.

I don’t think we should be making the case that we’re good. The case to be made is that we have a lot of young guys playing and they look like they can hang. And that the offense took a step forward on Sat from awful to mediocre.

GT wasn't churning out yards? Georgia Tech massed 453 yards of offense. That's a ton of offense. They also had the ball for over 33 minutes (to our near 26 min) and that's with 5 turnovers!

Looks like you're doing some creative writing because 3 of the turnovers resulted in 17 points. That's 17 points that came directly on the given play or next series - a direct result from the turnovers.

Also, the impact of a turnover doesn't always result in points. That is, you can't just dismiss a turnover because the other team didn't score off it. Obviously, you can't score if you give the ball to the other team. The five turnovers helped stall a GT offense that proved to be pretty effective at moving the ball down field.

All of this said, again, I like the direction we're heading but let's not pretend we're better right now than we are.

as a CPA, I prefer "creative accounting" ;)

Our defense should keep us in the game with most ACC teams, with that being said we will have games like GT did when we loose the TO battle, GT defense really did not play bad gave up 30 points when their offense put them in a lot of bad spot. With that being said idk how at todays stage we beat BC, duke looked solid against ND and pretty bad against BC, chase brice is better than tommy, I think they beat us. A lot of these games will tell us where we really are, wake and NCST are better than we think, both have really good running games, NCST might be the only ACC school who has the QB issues we have. Against those 5 we could go 5-0 and 0-5, liberty has willis the transfer from auburn hugh freeze is no joke, I'm disappointed at where we are, GT didn't do much to change that, we have a very good defense but not all games will go like that and the offense still is bad. Maybe I'm being a pessimist but I don't see clear wins against any of those ACC you named, we could beat them all but very easily could loose them all, we are libertys only P5 opponent so they'll be ready to roll, they should be 4-0 by this game and an undefeated season will help put them on the map which they so desperately want. I hope I'm wrong and they go 7-4 but I just don't see it.
BC was the worse team against Texas State for 3 and a half quarters Saturday at home. They only won because they got the game handed to them.

Chase Brice has six interceptions in three games and has shown less than stellar pocket presence. If he's better than Tommy its not by much. Advanced stats say that Duke has a considerably worse offense than us. Losing to them would be pathetic.

NCST just got their doors blown off by a team playing its first game without 23 players and a handful of coaches. VTech is a solid team but if we laid that dud this board would be saying we're the worst team in the ACC. We should have beat State on the road last season and losing to them at home would be extremely disappointing this year.

If we lose to Liberty I'll let Falwell's poolboy third wheel a date with me and my gf. Also, they play Virginia Tech and NCST and I'd imagine VT is a bigger game to them than us. Regardless, losing to them would be embarrassing.

I 100% believe we'll be the better team in the rest of our home games. I'm not sure if its fair to expect to win all of them but going 3-2 or worse would be rough.

I think Nykiem was injured a good chunk of last year and for at least a handful of games in 2018. My guess that is why we didn’t see him more.

And the year before Riley was one of the top punt returners in the country.

punt returning is mostly a function of the punter. teams not covering make a lot of guys look good

BC was the worse team against Texas State for 3 and a half quarters Saturday at home. They only won because they got the game handed to them.

Chase Brice has six interceptions in three games and has shown less than stellar pocket presence. If he's better than Tommy its not by much. Advanced stats say that Duke has a considerably worse offense than us. Losing to them would be pathetic.

NCST just got their doors blown off by a team playing its first game without 23 players and a handful of coaches. VTech is a solid team but if we laid that dud this board would be saying we're the worst team in the ACC. We should have beat State on the road last season and losing to them at home would be extremely disappointing this year.

If we lose to Liberty I'll let Falwell's poolboy third wheel a date with me and my gf. Also, they play Virginia Tech and NCST and I'd imagine VT is a bigger game to them than us. Regardless, losing to them would be embarrassing.

I 100% believe we'll be the better team in the rest of our home games. I'm not sure if its fair to expect to win all of them but going 3-2 or worse would be rough.
You can give me whatever advanced stats you want, I've watched both QB's play and in the offense we have I'm taking chase every time, it's not like tommy couldn't look good last year as the clemson backup I'm sure he would've. State has a good running game which will be tough for us to defend, they still don't have a QB and have no incentive to throw against our defense. We lost to MTSU had a bad game it happens, in year one BC found a way to win, and I don't see how we will magically win the line of scrimmage this year against them, bailey is a solid back, phil jurkovec was a much higher prospect than TD, jurkovec will do well in the ACC, he was ND's next guy for a bit according to some people. I'm not hoping we loose or some hater like some posters are, but we all watched this team last year and the 3 games so far this year, we aren't exactly a world beater, our saving grace is we play in the ACC and we will win a game every year that most people including us don't think we will. I'd bet as of now besides liberty we're dogs in every game. Certainly we can win any of those games all those programs have their own problems, I personally think 3-2 in those but 4-1 wouldn't shock me.

A win is a win - period. I know that, however, we have to be careful about our expectations. While GT beat FSU, the Seminoles are a shadow of their former self - witness the shellacking FSU got from Miami (51-10). Although GT has some excellent athletes, GT is not a good team - yet.

Still, the Yellow Jackets racked up 23 first downs compared to our 14 on their way to 453 total yards to our 357 - almost 100 yards more. They outrushed us 275-163 and kept pace in the passing game 178-194. The Ramblin Wrecks kept the ball for 34:08 to our 25:52. We won this game on turnover 5-1.

Two of the four interceptions were clearly the result of pressure on the GT QB Simms. One was fortuitous bouncing off of Nunn's helmet and the other a miscue by Sims.

The defense played a good game of bend but don't break. They created turnovers when needed and were key to the win.
However, the turning point came in the 3rd Quarter on offense. After GT scored to make it 23-20, we answered immediately on 3 plays capped by TD's beautiful 43-yard bomb to Nykeim Johnson to go back up by 10 points.

Some thoughts

Defense

As everyone knows, the defense is very young. How young? Of the 22 players on the 2-Deep, 5 are true freshmen, 4 RS Freshmen, 3 Sophomores and 2 RS Sophomores. That's 14 of the 22 not yet Juniors.

Even considering a weak opponent, we showed some maturity and prowess, especially without the leadership of Cisco. We had 8 QB hurries and 1 sack. Also, 55 solo tackles. I also thought that we had some good in-game adjustments, holding them to only one score in the Q3 and none in Q4. Considering we were on the field nine minutes longer - the same as the Pitt game - that's a pretty good effort.

Now that tape is piling up we can expect opposing coaches to zero in on our weaknesses. Most in the ACC, especially the former BE teams (WVA played the 3-3-5), are familiar with the style. That should be offset by game experience for our guys.

Duke, NC State, Georgia Tech, FSU and Wake Forest are 11-15 in total defense in the ACC (in that order). Pitt and North Carolina are 1 and 2). Except for Clemson and ND perhaps we have played the toughest part of our schedule.

Offense
While this was a considerable improvement over our first two outings, we did face a poor defense so we should have expected a better result. It is always hard to tell how much is a better play versus a weaker opponent.

That said, the line play was much improved. There were some big holes clearly visible on replays and TD was only sacked once. While I might quarrel with the scorekeeper, GT was credited with only 2 QB hurries.

Tommy
Good things happen when you keep your QB upright. If you look at the tape I think you will find that when TD is given 3 seconds he throws good passes. On the long passing TDs, he got the 3-seconds and threw strikes. Whatever you think of him, he throws the best deep ball we have seen in the Dome in quite a long time.

I would give Devito a C+ for this game. He was 13-24 (.541) for 194 yards (8.1 avg.) Two long TDs and one interception. He underthrew that on the run to a wide-open Taj Harris. Babers said in the pressers that he thought Taj should have been able to prevent the interception by knocking the ball from the defender.

There were some busted pass plays and some poor throws. Four carries for 23 yards and a couple of 1st downs but a missed opportunity when he went out-of-bounds a yard early on a scramble. I think Tommy would be the first to tell you he would want those back.

Sean Tucker
Inserting a true freshman as the starter when your QB is the most sacked in CFB, takes guts. Very few are ready for the blocking assignments. Given TD was only sacked once, it is safe to say the staff had confidence #34 could handle it - and he did.

Much has been said already about him so I will only add that he seems to be a more polished runner than his years would imply. He is patient, is quick, gets to the corner and, as we know,, the former track star has break-away speed. He looks like a keeper.

Play-calling

While I scream at the tv as much as the next guy, I try not to get too critical about play-calling because there is another team on the field. To me, play-calling is all about knowing what your guys can actually execute - not what you hope they can execute. Plays executed well rarely fail big-time.

There is an interview with John Madden where he tells a story about attending a Vince Lombardi seminar as a young coach just starting out. Madden says he was so excited and prepared to take a copious note. The first day all VInce discussed was the famous Packer power sweep. Madden was amazed at the detail involved. The next day he was excited to learn about something else but Vince simply continued in minutious detail about the same play. Vince's philosophy was that if properly executed it did not matter that the defense knew what was coming.

We had 5.5 yards per play, which would put us in the middle of the pack in the ACC.

Expectations
I look for marginally improved Oline play as the season progresses (with some big changes next year). If so, the running game will pick up and those two factors will let TD be the TD we expected. If we get some B games and an occasional A game from TD, we will do OK.

Assuming nothing is wrong with Andre, I think the D will continue to impress us. Given the youth, it has the chance of being special over the next few years.

All-in-all, it looks like a tough season ahead but with a great deal of promise for future seasons. I like our chances against Liberty, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State and probably BC. Not sure about L'ville.

LGO turn this thing around!
we also had over 100 yards on returns

I’m going to the optimistic side on offense
We found a RB which will greatly help the passing game play action etc
The O line showed it can improve
Less penalties on O ( yeah we had one at a bad time but so far better than last year )
Pitt D is for real ( NC we were so close to many points )
GT we had 3 more potential TDs we left out there. Nykiem looked like he was gonna score on the tunnel screen ( he made plays and was a big part of our win and looks like he is back)
We had ha Hackette up the seam yeah we got the PI but looked like it was gonna hit
And the missed pass to quelly which he was supposed to run to the corner based on coverage and he didn’t ( to the viewer looks like a bad throw actually was wrong route )
Not calling AQ out NFL guys do it
Happens every game I didn’t know live either
I was yelling more air lol . And we could have scored late .
TD running is now legit and maybe they have to account for that ( yeah that 1 yard short irked me too ) he said they dropped the marker he thought he had it ) he was gonna have a major full speed collision part of me after re watching it wanted him to lower his shoulder and I envision him being a tad heavier trucking him and than I envisioned him getting a shoulder injury . Still irked , but can’t have a penalty next play either .
The throw tommy wanted back was on the first series he badly missed benson on a short throw he said he just missed and he doesn’t know how it was so easy he said benson was gonnna turn up the field with lots of green .
Gilbert has some feel now as to what we have and should improve as well .
We at least attempted 3 passes to the TE
At the very least we now show tape of using all phases of the O in this game
Maybe maybe Dakota back for liberty.
Lots of the little things which are huge things are correctable by coaching and focus .
This was a mentally saving win for the team
Winning going into the bye was huge it gives them hope and a reason to get better .
Also importantly Tommy now has reason to believe in his protection. Because he got it Saturday and hopefully he can be his old calm confident self . Sucks these kids can’t come home for 2 days as they usually do because of covid . I said oh you wanted to see me and Mommy he said no my grandma and my dogs
I came in 5th ! I’m first at Venmo time though lol

Yes, Redru
Less penalties on O ( yeah we had one at a bad time but so far better than last year )
GT we had 3 more potential TDs we left out there. Nykiem looked like he was gonna score on the tunnel screen ( he made plays and was a big part of our win and looks like he is back)
We had ha Hackette up the seam yeah we got the PI but looked like it was gonna hit
And the missed pass to quelly which he was supposed to run to the corner based on coverage and he didn’t ( to the viewer looks like a bad throw actually was wrong route )
TD running is now legit and maybe they have to account for that ( yeah that 1 yard short irked me too ) he said they dropped the marker he thought he had it ) he was gonna have a major full speed collision part of me after re watching it wanted him to lower his shoulder and I envision him being a tad heavier trucking him and than I envisioned him getting a shoulder injury . Still irked , but can’t have a penalty next play either .
The throw tommy wanted back was on the first series he badly missed benson on a short throw he said he just missed and he doesn’t know how it was so easy he said benson was gonnna turn up the field with lots of green .
Lots of the little things which are huge things are correctable by coaching and focus .
Winning going into the bye was huge it gives them hope and a reason to get better .
Also importantly Tommy now has reason to believe in his protection. Because he got it Saturday and hopefully he can be his old calm confident self . Sucks these kids can’t come home for 2 days as they usually do because of covid . I said oh you wanted to see me and Mommy he said no my grandma and my dogs
TD running definitely legit. He’s fast, agile and knows how to finish without getting crushed.

Well, that explains the one yard short. Thought it was weird. Every snap I start counting seconds knowing that, if a pass play, when the protection lasts close to or at 3 seconds there is a high probability something good is going to happen. Just go back and do it on the two long TDs - 3 seconds on the nose.

I have mixed feelings about tight end routes because of the obvious need for protection. If we get the running game working a bit and are able to continue to stretch the field the risk reward will allow it.
I am probably alone on this but hitting those long TDs is the most important thing that happened on Saturday. Reminds teams that Tommy throws a great long ball and they stack the box at their own risk.

Duke doesn't have a great pass D and I look forward to a breakout game.

Well, that explains the one yard short. Thought it was weird. Every snap I start counting seconds knowing that, if a pass play, when the protection lasts close to or at 3 seconds there is a high probability something good is going to happen. Just go back and do it on the two long TDs - 3 seconds on the nose.

I have mixed feelings about tight end routes because of the obvious need for protection. If we get the running game working a bit and are able to continue to stretch the field the risk reward will allow it.
I am probably alone on this but hitting those long TDs is the most important thing that happened on Saturday. Reminds teams that Tommy throws a great long ball and they stack the box at their own risk.

Hackett stays into block a lot because of need and he is a great blocker another selfless player. I’ve watched him on numerous plays block like he’s a 300lb tackle

Yep like I said it’s all the domino effect but the first domino is the big guys up front

In this game, I don't agree we lose with only 2 turnovers. It wasn't like GT was churning out yards. Also, I believe only 3 of those turnovers resulted in points - 1FG/2TDs (one by the defense), so I'll take those 2 that led to TDs. We win 34-20 without the FG off the first turnover.

What? The TOs were the huge difference. They DID churn out yards, almost 100 more than us and 275 on the ground. Doubled our first downs, so yes, they were churning out tons of yards. If you looked at the game from yards from scrimmage and didn't know the score...its a slam dunk you pick them to win.

Hackett stays into block a lot because of need and he is a great blocker another selfless player. I’ve watched him on numerous plays block like he’s a 300lb tackle
Hackett is a stud blocker but that's a win for the D. We need him running in space, patterns to make this offense and TD better.

You can give me whatever advanced stats you want, I've watched both QB's play and in the offense we have I'm taking chase every time, it's not like tommy couldn't look good last year as the clemson backup I'm sure he would've. State has a good running game which will be tough for us to defend, they still don't have a QB and have no incentive to throw against our defense. We lost to MTSU had a bad game it happens, in year one BC found a way to win, and I don't see how we will magically win the line of scrimmage this year against them, bailey is a solid back, phil jurkovec was a much higher prospect than TD, jurkovec will do well in the ACC, he was ND's next guy for a bit according to some people. I'm not hoping we loose or some hater like some posters are, but we all watched this team last year and the 3 games so far this year, we aren't exactly a world beater, our saving grace is we play in the ACC and we will win a game every year that most people including us don't think we will. I'd bet as of now besides liberty we're dogs in every game. Certainly we can win any of those games all those programs have their own problems, I personally think 3-2 in those but 4-1 wouldn't shock me.

Brave and accurate assessment. Texas st. Is very good. BC is good and have a dynamic, young coach and yes, a better qb. I am with you. Texas st. Would beat us. Tons of texas talent and we are riding turn overs to stay in games.

Only if the line can hold it’s a risk
It’s not talked about but bergeron is a dude that’s either taking a step back or maybe our expectations were too high.