Observations from the Tulane Road Trip | Syracusefan.com

Observations from the Tulane Road Trip

Shenexon

All American
I got back from NOLA late last nite. It was a great place to go for a road game and many thanks to TexanMark for arranging it.

I've read a lot of negative comments about the game. While we didn't dominate a team we were expected to beat handily, I don't think the missed expectations accurately define the game, team, or coaches.

As fans & analysts, we compare teams & records and pre-determine the winner & margin. As it turns out, that's often not accurate but we gauge our team by how well they met our expectations. That game we play in our heads is not the real game. The real one was played on the field and was much tougher than forecast. The meaning of the difference between expectation & reality is what gives us lots of opportunity for debate.

We had lots of errors, especially on defense, but Tulane came in ready to play. This was a statement game for them and they played inspired football. Their QB & receivers played much better than they had previously. They had been embarrassed over the previous few weeks and seemed determined not to have that happen again, and it didn't. They played a fine game.

SU the team wasn't as disappointed by the outcome as most fans seem to have been. They won the game played on the field, which was their goal, and were exuberant in victory. I had the opportunity to slap high fives with many players after the game and saw nothing but excitement in their faces, except the gratitude they voiced for the good showing by SU fans in NOLA. I don't know how much it helped we were there, but it did to some degree.

That's the difference between the team's game experience and the one that many fans had. We had already played the game in our heads where the kids had to play the game on the field before writing in the win. They played another tough game and came out with another close win. We were treated to an exciting game, and should be pleased with a W without regard to how well it met expectations.

I for one will be very pleased with 4 or more more painfully close wins where the games turn out differently than we expect. From that perspective, I don't think the team lets US down, rather the fans let THEM down, if we don't appreciate the difficulty of playing the game for real on the field. It's a tough physical game with great complexity and emotion. Any win is a good win and the team was happy to have prevailed.

On a few other notes, I ran into coach Marrone on Bourbon St. and had a great time talking to him. I believe he's the real deal and has his priorities in the right places. We're fortunate to have him. I also got an opportunity to talk with Floyd Little for a bit and feel honored for that opportunity. Both of those guys know there's a difference between prognostication & the game on the field. I feel wiser just having met them. I was also pleased to have met a number of Syracusfan.com members and to share high-fives all over the city. There was a lot of orange visible throughout. I was stopped by at least 20 people wondering why there were so many SU fans in town. I think it helps our PR to show that SU fans traveled well for a game against Tulane and support their program proudly. Lastly, I met Alec Lemon's dad & uncle while souvenir shopping. It really helps put the team in perspective to talk to a parent of a player. Perhaps if we can be as proud and wise as the parents of the players we'll be happier with close wins. Just win baby!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom