Observations | Syracusefan.com

Observations

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
- Rebounding battle was essentially a draw. Louisville 39 - SU 37. Felt like Louisville had a few more quality offensive rebounds than we did, but the box gives us each 16.

- Despite our horrid shooting night Joseph had a 2 for 5 night from the field and 3 for 3 night from the line. Louisville did a good job limiting him, but he also did a pretty decent job not forcing shots.

- James had a really nice game last night. Yeah, he didn't hit any of this 4 3-pt attempts but he had 4 rebounds, 4 steals in just 18 minutes...also had 2 baskets in the paint and no Turnovers.

- Turnovers key again for us. We limited ours and maximized theirs. Even with a couple of What TOs thrown in we only had 8. I can think of 3 that were essentially brutal - KJo loosing the handle on that late 2nd half rebound where all 9 other players had already started down court and he just fumbled it out of bounds...talk about an unforced error. Two inbounds play where we essentially threw the ball to their player - 1 each for Triche and Scoop.

- Regardless of what the stats say, I thought we worked very had on the glass and in the hustle plays category. One of the big problems I often have with us after our losses to teams like Louisville, Pitt, Butler, Marquette et al. is feeling like they wanted it more and just out hustled out worked us. I felt a lot better about our effort last night, even as ugly as the offensive play was.

- Melo played 37 minutes. Who would have thought that was possible? Two times he beat his man down the court in transition... the kid is really playing hard. I hope they continue to go to him on offense, his back to the basket shots didn't go down last night, but I want him to keep taking them.

- James had a really nice game last night. Yeah, he didn't hit any of this 4 3-pt attempts...
Didn't he have a put-back on his own missed three (or long-two)?

- Rebounding battle was essentially a draw. Louisville 39 - SU 37. Felt like Louisville had a few more quality offensive rebounds than we did, but the box gives us each 16.

- Despite our horrid shooting night Joseph had a 2 for 5 night from the field and 3 for 3 night from the line. Louisville did a good job limiting him, but he also did a pretty decent job not forcing shots.

- James had a really nice game last night. Yeah, he didn't hit any of this 4 3-pt attempts but he had 4 rebounds, 4 steals in just 18 minutes...also had 2 baskets in the paint and no Turnovers.

- Turnovers key again for us. We limited ours and maximized theirs. Even with a couple of What TOs thrown in we only had 8. I can think of 3 that were essentially brutal - KJo loosing the handle on that late 2nd half rebound where all 9 other players had already started down court and he just fumbled it out of bounds...talk about an unforced error. Two inbounds play where we essentially threw the ball to their player - 1 each for Triche and Scoop.

- Regardless of what the stats say, I thought we worked very had on the glass and in the hustle plays category. One of the big problems I often have with us after our losses to teams like Louisville, Pitt, Butler, Marquette et al. is feeling like they wanted it more and just out hustled out worked us. I felt a lot better about our effort last night, even as ugly as the offensive play was.

- Melo played 37 minutes. Who would have thought that was possible? Two times he beat his man down the court in transition... the kid is really playing hard. I hope they continue to go to him on offense, his back to the basket shots didn't go down last night, but I want him to keep taking them.

I agree with your observation about turnovers. One of the big keys for this team is that we are doing a tremendous job in limiting our own turnovers. How many games have we had under 10 ? For a team that likes to run as much as we do, it's remarkable to see us winning games with only 6 turnovers. Scoop, in particular, has really cut down on his.

I also agree with the comment about Melo. Wow, what a great job staying on the floor for 37 minutes, with the way he plays defense. He doesn't hide in the zone, you know ? Despite a very tough night offensively, that was a hell of a win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom