Odd Numbers | Syracusefan.com

Odd Numbers

Orangezoo

In the wind
Ken Pom being one of the best out there has some really odd results. At 16-17 with very few good wins we finished 69th. Ahead of Rutgers, UVA, St Bonav, Oregon and Richmond.

Ken Pom being one of the best out there has some really odd results. At 16-17 with very few good wins we finished 69th. Ahead of Rutgers, UVA, St Bonav, Oregon and Richmond.
that-dont-make-no-sense-o-brother-where-art-thou.gif

That team was a good team. Had Edwards not gotten injured, things would have turned out a lot differently.
I agree...it was weird that the team was actually so close t being really really good...and yet finished with such a poor record. When an SU team is that bad its hard to imagine them being close to good. I feel like the culprit was roster composition and (how the roster was predetermined to be used) that did them in...(which suck bc that comes down to decision making from the staff more than anything)

One or two more pieces and JB's willingness to use those pieces and the team could honestly still be playing right now. Duke barely beat them without Buddy, Jesse and Benny at the end of the season...which makes zero sense if they weren't "good"...and capable of much more than they acheived.

I think thats why this team was so divisive and caused so much angst - a lot of people knew how close it actually was to being a great story.

I agree...it was weird that the team was actually so close t being really really good...and yet finished with such a poor record. When an SU team is that bad its hard to imagine them being close to good. I feel like the culprit was roster composition and (how the roster was predetermined to be used) that did them in...(which suck bc that comes down to decision making from the staff more than anything)

One or two more pieces and JB's willingness to use those pieces and the team could honestly still be playing right now. Duke barely beat them without Buddy, Jesse and Benny at the end of the season...which makes zero sense if they weren't "good"...and capable of much more than they acheived.

I think thats why this team was so divisive and caused so much angst - a lot of people knew how close it actually was to being a great story.
I came away with the feeling that it took longer for all the pieces to come together as a team, When they hit that 4 game win streak I was thinking that the team found the winning mindset and would be able to do a lot in the postseason. Swider, Sy and James got significantly better by that point and benny improved some as well. Jesse's length and speed on defense totally changes what teams can do and his offense was key to spacing.

if we just done screw up inbounds plays we win 3-4 more games without any thing else to be done.
But that was baked into the build of the team. We didn’t have good ball handling. We knew it and didn’t get a solid point guard

It’s like saying Duke lost because Mark Williams missed free throws. It’s known he’s bad at FTs. Missing is expected

We were a good team for parts of games. We weren't good enough to finish teams out. Our weakness with ballhandling was the ultimate limiting factor alongside athleticism and defense.

To me that doesn't make a good team. Just a mediocre to below average team missing important pieces.

We lost 3 really valuable players in KR, RB and QG. To me we needed 2 of those 3 and most importantly KR to be a good team. Add those two back and it's a different outcome. With absolutely nothing against Symir or Jimmy who would be most impacted

But that was baked into the build of the team. We didn’t have good ball handling. We knew it and didn’t get a solid point guard

It’s like saying Duke lost because Mark Williams missed free throws. It’s known he’s bad at FTs. Missing is expected
we lost at least 3 of them because buddy just didnt protect the ball though.

Lack of leadership at crunch time. We needed someone to calm the storm at the 5 minute mark and take control. We always looked in a hurry and took awful shots. We also did the same thing at the end of 1st halves.

We lost(blew) a lot of close games.
I think 6 games we blew a double digit lead including 3 18 point leads (Miami twice, Colgate). 2 in bound passes away from road Q1 wins. Even the second Florida state game Jimmy missed a 5 foot bunny to go up 1 with 5 seconds. Can’t say we deserve to win all of those but even .500 in those games has us at 21-22 wins and probably sneaking in to the tourney.

I came away with the feeling that it took longer for all the pieces to come together as a team, When they hit that 4 game win streak I was thinking that the team found the winning mindset and would be able to do a lot in the postseason. Swider, Sy and James got significantly better by that point and benny improved some as well. Jesse's length and speed on defense totally changes what teams can do and his offense was key to spacing.
would be interesting to see total plus minus for the team thorughout the season broken down into 8 5-min intervals

my guess is that the last 5 min of games would be the worst for the team

followed by the second to last 8th.

and that they would be significantly plus in all 4 "quarters" of the first half...

*except the last 2 min of the first half they were pretty bad (it seemed)

they just ran out of gas consistently throughout the season...they were up at half almost every game it seemed...which, again, is weird for a team with a losing record.

another guard and a big that can rebound and score and the team is in the tourney comfortably imo...maybe even still playing right now

Lack of leadership at crunch time. We needed someone to calm the storm at the 5 minute mark and take control. We always looked in a hurry and took awful shots. We also did the same thing at the end of 1st halves.
I feel like we’ve been that way since Ennis left, which coincidentally was the last time we had a real point guard and were a top 25 team in February

I started doing a spreadsheet on how the team performed in games decided by 0-5 points, 6-10 points, 11+ points. I went back a couple years and it seemed our close games were no worse than normal. I lost interest quickly in going back further as it was depressing.

And that's different than Bonas losing 4 weeks of games & practices in the middle of the season. So SU gets credit for blowing games but SBU's break means nothing. Yeah, hard to quantify the break but so is repeatedly literally throwing games away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom