Offense Weapons | Syracusefan.com

Offense Weapons

kcsu

Living Legend
Fran and his staff have done an amazing job accumulating talent across the board. I don't believe that we have had this many weapons on the O side of the ball since Paul P days.
Here is my list of players, weapons that I'm excited about.

Kyle. Pro potential checks all of the boxes. Can make all of the throws and is a leader. I still can't believe that Fran landed him. His commitment set the foundation for what has been the best talent haul i can ever remember. If he stays healthy, we have a legit chance at the ACC championship game and a berth in the playoffs.

LA
Willis
Nixon
Trebar
OG
Dan
Meeks
Hatcher
Gill
Haynes
Ross
Tremble
Ross Simmons

LA and Willis are the best One two combo in a very long time. Add in Nixon and we are really deep at RB
Dan, Trebar, Meeks, Haynes Tremble Gill Hatcher Ross and in my opinion two future NFL players in OG and Ross Simmons and the Receiving corps is special.

The big if as always is can we block. Can we protect Kyle. My two cents is we can. Other than QB we are as deep as we have been since the 90s. I believe the staff is going to set up the pass by pounding the rock behind some very large humans up front.

Based on what i saw this spring and watching some film I expect that LA and Willis will run for over 2k between them.

I believe that OG, Ross Simmons, Meeks, Dan and Trebar are going to all have excellent years.

This is an O that can average 30 or more a game. We are loaded on O. Our D looks just as good.

Get by GT which i do feel is our toughest opponent and we have a shot.

Go Orange!

Agreed.

If we are successful this year we should be able to rush for at least 2000 yards. I want opposing teams to have to make a choice on what will hurt them less: Cuse running or passing on them.

Georgia Tech will be a huge game...
However, Ohio will be one of the best MAC teams in '24 and can obviously spoil things. If Cuse can start off 4-1 or 5-0 it should point to a solid season.

I want to see the Dome at 95%+ capacity at the first three games. Enough of the friggin excuses by fans.

If you are away at a camp for Labor Day weekend drive the 45-90 mins and get back for Ohio. Matt Sarzyniak thinks we'll have a later kickoff which is perfect.

Obviously just a guess until kickoff times are released (hopefully next week) for weeks 0-3.

Since Coach Fran has never been a head coach previously, the only insight I have is from the Spring Game. But I am curious as to what others think his pace of play will be. This will determine (largely) how many plays we run per game and what we may expect from total yards gained, distribution, etc. (allowing for a bunch of assumptions, of course). Personally, I think we will be uptempo unless game strategy calls for a slower, more deliberate approach. I'd love to see us around 75 or more plays per game. Run/pass balance could certainly have a significant impact, too.

Since Coach Fran has never been a head coach previously, the only insight I have is from the Spring Game. But I am curious as to what others think his pace of play will be. This will determine (largely) how many plays we run per game and what we may expect from total yards gained, distribution, etc. (allowing for a bunch of assumptions, of course). Personally, I think we will be uptempo unless game strategy calls for a slower, more deliberate approach. I'd love to see us around 75 or more plays per game. Run/pass balance could certainly have a significant impact, too.
I suspect we'll play a little quicker too, and I think we'll see a lot of play action.

Fran and his staff have done an amazing job accumulating talent across the board. I don't believe that we have had this many weapons on the O side of the ball since Paul P days.
Here is my list of players, weapons that I'm excited about.

Kyle. Pro potential checks all of the boxes. Can make all of the throws and is a leader. I still can't believe that Fran landed him. His commitment set the foundation for what has been the best talent haul i can ever remember. If he stays healthy, we have a legit chance at the ACC championship game and a berth in the playoffs.

LA
Willis
Nixon
Trebar
OG
Dan
Meeks
Hatcher
Gill
Haynes
Ross
Tremble
Ross Simmons

LA and Willis are the best One two combo in a very long time. Add in Nixon and we are really deep at RB
Dan, Trebar, Meeks, Haynes Tremble Gill Hatcher Ross and in my opinion two future NFL players in OG and Ross Simmons and the Receiving corps is special.

The big if as always is can we block. Can we protect Kyle. My two cents is we can. Other than QB we are as deep as we have been since the 90s. I believe the staff is going to set up the pass by pounding the rock behind some very large humans up front.

Based on what i saw this spring and watching some film I expect that LA and Willis will run for over 2k between them.

I believe that OG, Ross Simmons, Meeks, Dan and Trebar are going to all have excellent years.

This is an O that can average 30 or more a game. We are loaded on O. Our D looks just as good.

Get by GT which i do feel is our toughest opponent and we have a shot.

Go Orange!
I think a closer comp is 2012.

I suspect we'll play a little quicker too, and I think we'll see a lot of play action.
In his opening presser, he said defense and run the ball, which made me think a lot of 17-10. But he’s upgraded the talent on offense and they haven’t publicly committed to anything, so I really don’t know what to expect.

I am interested to see how/if the coaches use the recruit, the player‘s name escapes me, from NJ. He is putting up impressive speed numbers in track.

In his opening presser, he said defense and run the ball, which made me think a lot of 17-10. But he’s upgraded the talent on offense and they haven’t publicly committed to anything, so I really don’t know what to expect.
Yeah I'm optimistic Fran's seen enough high level football that he's not going to get seduced into thinking rock fights are a viable path to winning.

He goes and gets the talent to hope for more.

Agreed.

If we are successful this year we should be able to rush for at least 2000 yards. I want opposing teams to have to make a choice on what will hurt them less: Cuse running or passing on them.

Georgia Tech will be a huge game...
However, Ohio will be one of the best MAC teams in '24 and can obviously spoil things. If Cuse can start off 4-1 or 5-0 it should point to a solid season.

I want to see the Dome at 95%+ capacity at the first three games. Enough of the friggin excuses by fans.

If you are away at a camp for Labor Day weekend drive the 45-90 mins and get back for Ohio. Matt Sarzyniak thinks we'll have a later kickoff which is perfect.

Obviously just a guess until kickoff times are released (hopefully next week) for weeks 0-3.
Agree on everything except Ohio, they are being picked as middle of the road in the MAC, and getting them in game 1 is great, they are extremely low in terms of returning production, I think around 125th in the country. So while we are the one with a new staff(mostly) they have way more to deal with in terms of breaking in new players/new starters than we do. We should roll. Ga Tech is a huge early test

Agree on everything except Ohio, they are being picked as middle of the road in the MAC, and getting them in game 1 is great, they are extremely low in terms of returning production, I think around 125th in the country. So while we are the one with a new staff(mostly) they have way more to deal with in terms of breaking in new players/new starters than we do. We should roll. Ga Tech is a huge early test
Ohio lost some of their best players in the portal, including their fifth year senior QB, so I agree, the opener is a good time to play them.

Good thread and enjoyable watch of the 2012 SU - LV game. Thanks to the OP and GoSU96. As mentioned lots of 12 personnel on that '12 team and good offensive balance (Hackett). Lemon was a productive possession receiver - similar to the roll I think Ross-Simmons will play this year. Haynes adds a deep threat and OG is an x factor. 2012 had some thunder and lightning (Smith, PTG and AAM), but this year's backfield with LQA, Willis and Nixon might be more talented. At the helm McCord looks as accurate as Nassib but with more options and better range. Lots to be excited about.

Last edited:
In watching film and the spring game we have a few kids on the above list that truly have a chance to make the NFL.

Kyle
LA
Willis
OG
Ross Simmons
Dan

Future stars look to be Haynes and Tremble.

It is going to be difficult for teams to focus on anyone player. Should be a fun fall

Thanks...I saw a Top 136 (or whatever we are at this year) and some guy actually had Ohio slightly ahead of Cuse. It might not accounted for the portal losses. Below paints Ohio as slightly above average MAC.

I know Fran talked a lot about running the ball and returning to that power style of football, but that's not exactly how Nixon historically likes to run his offense. People can correct me if I am wrong, but I watched a a good amount of Baylor football in 2018-19 when they were having great success with him calling plays. Lots of shotgun, not necessarily up tempo but can use it if need be, emphasis on the passing game and a lot of rotation at RB. Wasn't even close to having an 1000-yard rusher despite averaging close to 40 PPG in 2018 and 2019. I also remember a large emphasis on "players not plays" for them, and exploiting favorable matchups in the passing game whenever possible especially in crucial situations (I expect Gadsden to have a very similar role and production to Denzel Mims). If you look at their personnel from that time it is very similar to ours right now, and I would take McCord over Charie Brewer at the helm 10/10 times. I anticipate a little more success in the run game than they had, think we could be in for an amazing offensive year as long as the injury bug stays far away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom