Offensive Comments (after a win) | Syracusefan.com

Offensive Comments (after a win)

Ottoble

Starter
So despite the win the offense leaves something to be desired.

First: Our team not taking a free throw until the 4:13 left in the second half is crazy we drew tons of fouls last year. Positions 1-4 are ball handlers that can finish around the rim and Brissett drew an insane foul shot rate per game last year. Where is our drive and Score/kick/draw foul offense? Just a very strange change from last year's stats.

Opinion: Howard/Battle/Brissett and from what I've seen Hughes should be all driving more often. Thoughts?

Secondary conversation: Despite what JB has said about the Triangle offense "worst offense ever" (7/2/2017) I think we have good personnel to run it when the 4 players above are in with Dolezaj in at the 5. Good ball handlers and passers, that are a threat around the hoop when given a cutting lane, good mid range shooting percentages overall and there are a couple 3 point threats especially when left open which is part of the point to triangle.

Opinion: I'm not saying triangle should be a primary system, but since it's not what we run and is not that hard to implement and could be a good change of pace to keep the opposing D off balance or jump start our guys when they aren't moving their feet, generating lanes and open shots. Like a little starter fluid when the my turn offense starts holding us back.

Third: Can we get the bigs to practice with slippery gloves to improve ball handling? Can we also remind ACC refs that when a taller guy jumps and gets a rebound it's not an over the back call just because he's taller?

Opinion: Yes and Yes.

Fourth Anyone Think Battle needs to have his pre-game coffee like 10 mins earlier he's starting games slow this season.
(mostly joking =D)

Opinion: Triple shot half-caf non-fat macciato with 2 biscotti would help the 3 percentages, and either crisp up the 2s or help his Dunking =D.

So despite the win the offense leaves something to be desired.

First: Our team not taking a free throw until the 4:13 left in the second half is crazy we drew tons of fouls last year. Positions 1-4 are ball handlers that can finish around the rim and Brissett drew an insane foul shot rate per game last year. Where is our drive and Score/kick/draw foul offense? Just a very strange change from last year's stats.

Opinion: Howard/Battle/Brissett and from what I've seen Hughes should be all driving more often. Thoughts?

Secondary conversation: Despite what JB has said about the Triangle offense "worst offense ever" (7/2/2017) I think we have good personnel to run it when the 4 players above are in with Dolezaj in at the 5. Good ball handlers and passers, that are a threat around the hoop when given a cutting lane, good mid range shooting percentages overall and there are a couple 3 point threats especially when left open which is part of the point to triangle.

Opinion: I'm not saying triangle should be a primary system, but since it's not what we run and is not that hard to implement and could be a good change of pace to keep the opposing D off balance or jump start our guys when they aren't moving their feet, generating lanes and open shots. Like a little starter fluid when the my turn offense starts holding us back.

Third: Can we get the bigs to practice with slippery gloves to improve ball handling? Can we also remind ACC refs that when a taller guy jumps and gets a rebound it's not an over the back call just because he's taller?

Opinion: Yes and Yes.

Fourth Anyone Think Battle needs to have his pre-game coffee like 10 mins earlier he's starting games slow this season.
(mostly joking =D)

Opinion: Triple shot half-caf non-fat macciato with 2 biscotti would help the 3 percentages, and either crisp up the 2s or help his Dunking =D.

Wanted to get you that Like # 1,000.

Comparing one game's FTA to last year's average is inane. We're shooting more free throws this year, on average, than last year. Not less.

Comparing one game's FTA to last year's average is inane. We're shooting more free throws this year, on average, than last year. Not less.

We're coming into conference play where last year our rate per game dropped by about -5 FTA/Game. So its not necessarily apples to apples with our season long rate last year. We're currently -1.3FTA/Game behind our rate at this point last season.

Also currently it's not necessarily the guys you want taking them making up the difference either. From the Season Long Rate Last Year Sidibe's rate is up (+.45FTA/gm), While Brissett's rate is down (-.6 FTA/game) and Howard's is way down (-2.35FTA/game).

All of these rates would be expected to decline slightly further against better trained and familiar conference defenses. I understand Howard is splitting time and a little more and tentative after injury but I think it is worth bringing up because we don't seem to drive the ball the same way this year.

We must be looking at different statistics, or maybe I'm misreading something.

NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Free Throws Attempted per Game on TeamRankings.com

This year Syracuse FTA per game as of 1/8

Last year Syracuse FTA per game as of 1/8

This year, Syracuse Free throws made per game as of 1/8

Last year

So neither of your arguments hold up. But if you want to get worked up over something that happened in one game during a ten point road win when are our offense had one of its better games of the year, have at it.

We must be looking at different statistics, or maybe I'm misreading something.

NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Free Throws Attempted per Game on TeamRankings.com

This year Syracuse FTA per game as of 1/8

Last year Syracuse FTA per game as of 1/8

This year, Syracuse Free throws made per game as of 1/8

Last year

So neither of your arguments hold up. But if you want to get worked up over something that happened in one game during a ten point road win when are our offense had one of its better games of the year, have at it.
Must be I was looking at 14 games into each season. Thoughts on some of the other things. After our lovely offensive performance this weekend I think anything has to help.

Gotta write a good headline =D

Probably a metaphor for life. Sometimes I sit and ponder things on here, out of their intended context, and have learned a number of life lessons...noticed a number of areas where I could improve in. This might be one of the top ones, for me.

PS Im guessing you are a football side mostly member? Not sure why I wouldnt have noticed a great member name like that otherwise!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom