Offensive development | Syracusefan.com

Offensive development

GoSU96

Living Legend
No agenda, just information.

Looking strictly at the offense what Marrone has been able to do in three years is take a truly worst of the worst offense and has improved it's performance significantly. The performance floor has been raised. They are better at executing and reducing negative plays. The overall performance has improved, but there's nothing sexy about what they are doing.

The offense is more efficient and productive. The items that are lacking are easy yards and easy points.

The offense has continued to improve year over year. But the improvement this year wasn't enough to compensate for the defensive fall off in the second half of the season or it's own mistakes against Rutgers, Uconn and Pitt.

Attachments

• trends.pdf
    32.5 KB · Views: 134
The offense was bad this year period, I dont care what the stats say that offense in the second half of the season save for the second half of the UConn game and WVU game was abysmal. To make matters worse how is going to get better next year? No Provo No Harris No Chew No Bailey likely No Sales and at this point Gulley coming back is up in the air at best. A new OC is needed desperately. The fact that Hackett hasnt been let go yet is disturbing, we desperately need a competent veteran OC.

No agenda, just information.

Looking strictly at the offense what Marrone has been able to do in three years is take a truly worst of the worst offense and has improved it's performance significantly. The performance floor has been raised. They are better at executing and reducing negative plays. The overall performance has improved, but there's nothing sexy about what they are doing.

The offense is more efficient and productive. The items that are lacking are easy yards and easy points.

The offense has continued to improve year over year. But the improvement this year wasn't enough to compensate for the defensive fall off in the second half of the season or it's own mistakes against Rutgers, Uconn and Pitt.
it's a good point that floor per game is much better than it used to be. result in fewer disastrous calamitous losses that jump out at people on a tv crawl. i'm not being sarcastic here, i swear - it's important

My high school coach could have taken over after Gump and shown improvement. That's not anything I'd be bragging about. The O needs a major overhaul and a new OC at a minimum. It's bad.

To make matters worse how is going to get better next year? No Provo No Harris No Chew No Bailey likely No Sales and at this point Gulley coming back is up in the air at best.

This is college athletics, Jeremy. Harris came out of no where, Chew put up better numbers than most expected at times, Bailey was a fourth-string running back who had a huge breakout game, Provo was an injury-prone tight end. Guys step it up, something clicks, the S&C makes a difference. The nine months until September can change everything.

I think the pass blocking did improve this year. It seemed like they were somewhat serviceable. Last year they looked totally lost. Part of that was getting rid of the ball quickly by design. But even so we allowed only 2.42 sacks per game this year vs 2.54 last year despite passing it about 7 more times per game (415 vs 358 in one less game). Also last year we played two 1 AA teams, so our schedule was easier yet we gave up more sacks.

This is college athletics, Jeremy. Harris came out of no where, Chew put up better numbers than most expected at times, Bailey was a fourth-string running back who had a huge breakout game, Provo was an injury-prone tight end. Guys step it up, something clicks, the S&C makes a difference. The nine months until September can change everything.

Harris came out of nowhere last year and was a known commodity this year and was supposed to be next year as well. Now we have zero scholarship fullbacks for next year unless you count Cutler who lets face it probably wont make it to the first contact drill before going down with an injury. Our RB situation is even worse, who is the starter Smith? Gulley if he even is still on the team? AAM? Macfarlane?

What you say about the rest of the guys is true but we also have to replace them and remember they were starters not some backups were losing. Also Provo hasnt been hurt much the past two years losign him is a tremendous loss depsite the fact that some people here honestly believe Beckett Wales can step right in :crazy:

The offense was bad this year period, I dont care what the stats say that offense in the second half of the season save for the second half of the UConn game and WVU game was abysmal. To make matters worse how is going to get better next year? No Provo No Harris No Chew No Bailey likely No Sales and at this point Gulley coming back is up in the air at best. A new OC is needed desperately. The fact that Hackett hasnt been let go yet is disturbing, we desperately need a competent veteran OC.

West, Kobena, Foster, and Graham (essentially) were all first year players at WR. Hale and Cornelius will be available next year. Why is Gully coming back "up in the air at best"?

I think it's a huge net positive that they were able to redshirt every OL that could get one this year. That will pay huge dividends in the next couple of years. There are options for next year. Hell, I'd make Macky the FB next year.

As much as people bang on Nassib the kid is capable, and every game makes some, big time throws. That out to Lemon for a first down was a great throw. Connect on one additional 25+ pass a game and he is averaging 250 a game.

The hysteria needs to be ramped down a couple of notches. If changes need to be made they will be, but panic won't be the order of the day.

Every spot on the roster is open in the spring, let it play out.

West, Kobena, Foster, and Graham (essentially) were all first year players at WR. Hale and Cornelius will be available next year. Why is Gully coming back "up in the air at best"?

I think it's a huge net positive that they were able to redshirt every OL that could get one this year. That will pay huge dividends in the next couple of years. There are options for next year. Hell, I'd make Macky the FB next year.

As much as people bang on Nassib the kid is capable, and every game makes some, big time throws. That out to Lemon for a first down was a great throw. Connect on one additional 25+ pass a game and he is averaging 250 a game.

The hysteria needs to be ramped down a couple of notches. If changes need to be made they will be, but panic won't be the order of the day.

Every spot on the roster is open in the spring, let it play out.

Let me say that I agree with some of what you said especially the OL. Thats one area where I actually think we have some good depth and should be serviceable at worst. But everywhere else there are concerns. Kobena and Foster barely played beyond special teams, together Id be shocked if they played more then 50 snaps total between both of them. That is not a comforting thought for an offense that desperately needs a deep threat to complement there best WR (Lemon). Graham showed flashes but lets be honest save for the Tulane game he average what 1 catch a game if that? He is not a deep threat for some reason and should be passed over by one of the RS freshman. What about Flemming? Where the hell did that kid go? Your telling me he couldnt get any playing time this year? Maybe if we stopped putting a TE and RB out as wide as receivers when we are actually in a formation for 3+wr we could actually develop some depth. Maybe once this decade we can actually put 4WR on the field or god forbid 5 who are actually WR not David Stevens and Adam harris or a RB.

Gully's issues are not something Im not going to discuss without a premium board but he may not survive the upcoming spring purge. Nassib cant throw a deep ball period. The fact we cant score any points without going on an 9 minute 17 play grind it out drive is killing this team. I dont expect him to suddenly develop a deep ball between now and August. If any of the backups are even close to being ready they should get some first team reps inthe spring and summer to see if they can beat out Ryan. If not then I hope to hell we come up with something to get a couple quick scores.

Again a new OC is a must Hackett cannot survive this.

I expect sales to return.

If they plan to go in another direction at quarterback, we'll know sooner than later. You don't bring Nassib back to not play if he can graduate in May.

If they plan to go in another direction at quarterback, we'll know sooner than later. You don't bring Nassib back to not play if he can graduate in May.
I don't expect Nassib to return. Marrone said he wants to be more mobile. Nassib, great guy for sure, doesn't fit that mold.

I don't expect Nassib to return. Marrone said he wants to be more mobile. Nassib, great guy for sure, doesn't fit that mold.

For the love of god, stop it.

Nassib did say before our final home game that it will be different for him next year when it's his final home game. I wonder if he might change his mind or SU changes it for him. It's a huge risk because we have ZERO know talent behind him.

For the love of god, stop it.
Marrone: “I think we have to become a little more mobile, a little bit more moving ... a little big more spread. I’m not changing my philosophy. I’m looking to see what things we can do to create bigger plays,”Does that sound like Nassib to you?

I think it's a huge net positive that they were able to redshirt every OL that could get one this year. That will pay huge dividends in the next couple of years.

Not sure what to think about the second half since it's been not great line play in general so far, but I do think getting back to redshirting people needs to be a HUGE priority. For all the belief on this board that simply playing games speeds the development process, the reality is the extra year and buying some time for strength and conditioning is a far better developmental path.

Marrone: “I think we have to become a little more mobile, a little bit more moving ... a little big more spread. I’m not changing my philosophy. I’m looking to see what things we can do to create bigger plays,”Does that sound like Nassib to you?

I'm not sure I get where you've seen that nassib can't run. I keep hearing this and, while he doesn't move well within the pocket, he moves pretty well outside the pocket. Not Michael Vick well, but decent enough to use him in option-read packages, etc., if that's what the staff wanted to do.

I'm not sure I get where you've seen that nassib can't run. I keep hearing this and, while he doesn't move well within the pocket, he moves pretty well outside the pocket. Not Michael Vick well, but decent enough to use him in option-read packages, etc., if that's what the staff wanted to do.
You'll have to ask him. But, no, I don't think that's what Marrone has in mind.

sounds like some packages for hunt as the #2. nassib isn't going anyplace.

Not sure what to think about the second half since it's been not great line play in general so far, but I do think getting back to redshirting people needs to be a HUGE priority. For all the belief on this board that simply playing games speeds the development process, the reality is the extra year and buying some time for strength and conditioning is a far better developmental path.

Especially for positions like OL.

You'll have to ask him. But, no, I don't think that's what Marrone has in mind.

So I'll have to ask marrone, but you'll tell me what he has in mind? OK. I was saying I keep hearing he can't run from posters here, but regardless, anyone thinking that comment means Nassib won't be invited back or will be benched b/c we wanted to get "a little more mobile" is taking far more from that quote than was intended, IMO.

Let me say that I agree with some of what you said especially the OL. Thats one area where I actually think we have some good depth and should be serviceable at worst. But everywhere else there are concerns. Kobena and Foster barely played beyond special teams, together Id be shocked if they played more then 50 snaps total between both of them. That is not a comforting thought for an offense that desperately needs a deep threat to complement there best WR (Lemon). Graham showed flashes but lets be honest save for the Tulane game he average what 1 catch a game if that? He is not a deep threat for some reason and should be passed over by one of the RS freshman. What about Flemming? Where the hell did that kid go? Your telling me he couldnt get any playing time this year? Maybe if we stopped putting a TE and RB out as wide as receivers when we are actually in a formation for 3+wr we could actually develop some depth. Maybe once this decade we can actually put 4WR on the field or god forbid 5 who are actually WR not David Stevens and Adam harris or a RB.

Gully's issues are not something Im not going to discuss without a premium board but he may not survive the upcoming spring purge. Nassib cant throw a deep ball period. The fact we cant score any points without going on an 9 minute 17 play grind it out drive is killing this team. I dont expect him to suddenly develop a deep ball between now and August. If any of the backups are even close to being ready they should get some first team reps inthe spring and summer to see if they can beat out Ryan. If not then I hope to hell we come up with something to get a couple quick scores.

Again a new OC is a must Hackett cannot survive this.

Spring Purge? That's all this program needs is another purge... way to go Doug. back to 70 schollie players. embarrassing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom