Offensive Efficiency | Syracusefan.com

Offensive Efficiency

Knicks411

Living Legend
Ken pom is tracking the changes in offensive levels with the shortening of the shot clock, among other rules. It's obviously really early in the season, but so far, teams are averaging 71.8 possessions per game compared to 68.2 last year (increase of 5.6% per game) and averaging 73.7 points per game as compared to 68 last year, an increase of 8.4%. So you can do the math quickly; offensive efficiency is actually up a little this year (101.7 compared to 98.9 last year); some of that is definitely due to more fouls being called, which will probably not be the case all year. But so far so good with the early returns on the rules changes.

More touch fouls through two games so far for, but i'm all for it if it leads to more scoring.

If the new rules are followed, both Pitt and Louisville will have to come up with different defensive strategies. Clutch, even touch, and grab has been effectively outlawed.

The pace has been much better in our games, but the foul calls seem as capricious as ever.

The pace has been much better in our games, but the foul calls seem as capricious as ever.

Yeah, there are times I just come to the conclusion the game is impossible to ref. I was convinced when G drove and hit Malachi for one of the big threes in the second half he was going to get hit for a charge.

There was one play in the first half where we had someone drive (i am blanking now, i think it was lydon) and got an and-1 and Bonner spent so much time talking about how the charge circle is longer now, thats why it was a block etc. And I'm looking at the replay, and the guy was clearly sliding under Lydon anyway, so the charge circle should have been irrelevant. But knowing college hoops, they probably would have called it a charge

If the new rules are followed, both Pitt and Louisville will have to come up with different defensive strategies. Clutch, even touch, and grab has been effectively outlawed.

I guarantee you that the three moving screens up top we were called for last night won't be called during the Pitt game.

Yeah, there are times I just come to the conclusion the game is impossible to ref. I was convinced when G drove and hit Malachi for one of the big threes in the second half he was going to get hit for a charge.

There was one play in the first half where we had someone drive (i am blanking now, i think it was lydon) and got an and-1 and Bonner spent so much time talking about how the charge circle is longer now, thats why it was a block etc. And I'm looking at the replay, and the guy was clearly sliding under Lydon anyway, so the charge circle should have been irrelevant. But knowing college hoops, they probably would have called it a charge
I guarantee you that the three moving screens up top we were called for last night won't be called during the Pitt game.

Exactly - we noted both Cooney and Lydon getting undercut and predicted that both (called and-ones last night) would be called charges against ACC teams.

The officials can't even keep the opposing coach off the court after he bumps into one of them during live play. They're inept.

Exactly - we noted both Cooney and Lydon getting undercut and predicted that both (called and-ones last night) would be called charges against ACC teams.

The officials can't even keep the opposing coach off the court after he bumps into one of them during live play. They're inept.

There will definately be less charges this year. Last year both drives would of been charges. This year the guy taking the charge was inside the circle.

I know people hate officials, but early returns on new rules are good IMO.

There will definately be less charges this year. Last year both drives would of been charges. This year the guy taking the charge was inside the circle.

I know people hate officials, but early returns on new rules are good IMO.

Right, they'd have to be called blocks because of the line, but certainly in the Lydon case (don't remember the Cooney play exactly) they were blocks even without the charge circle, which is what is frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom