Offensive Line | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Offensive Line

If the premise is when V moved from tackle to center, did the line stabilize the answer is yes and would agree. If people are saying that our line is no longer an issue I will politely say you are bat $%&! crazy. (It at least sounded polite in my head ;) ). I would say our oline is still our biggest weakness going into next year. (Though not having a sure fire backup QB is a close second or player good enough to push TD). Our guys are a year older, some learned through trial by fire and I think Bergeron will be a stud and early round pick but until our line is not averaging giving up 35 sacks plus a season at the least we are going to continue to have issues. I have heard proper dedication to the offseasons S&C program can do wonders though for our 260 pound DTs, so maybe it can do the same for some of our oline. Happy Holidays everyone!

Great post.

Yeesh. We’re pretty much THE WORST in this. :confused:

and yet we still created pts.. If we could ever just get slose to that 4.5 number and .09 sack rate.

Wow. Not a surprise but sure is an eye opener to see visually how we stack against the rest. Lots of work to do to turn that around. Though turning that around has more to do then just the guys on the oline. Play calls, timing, etc all go into the graphic as well but no doubt our oline still has to do better. Still a weakness, though there is honestly nice potential there.

Beat me to is syrBossHogg ;)

I like this one the most, though. I bet we know which line grouping was TD's favorite

That is interesting, and looking at the metrics in Hale's spreadsheet, SU's O-line was actually fairly good as a run blocking unit outside of 3rd and short situations. It's just they really, really really, dreadful when it came to pass blocking, which was pretty obvious watching them.

Adams is going to feast next year.

Last edited:
Sadly we didn’t Persue Rutgers 3 year starting grad transfer center mike Maitti .. Missouri grabbed him . Experience galore vs big ten DLinemen

This tells me we stuck with the Alexander experiment WAY TOO LONG...

Also they needed Vettorello to improve snapping so he could swap with Servais. that was key too.

This tells me we stuck with the Alexander experiment WAY TOO LONG...
I'll be a contrarian, as well. They told players they'd consider other players, to light a fire under the entire line. They were PEEVED Alexander quit. That wasn't the plan. I guess, in the end, a fire was lit.

Putting our best Tackle at Tackle helped. Our G's started to gel towards the end of the season, as well. Being able to score early in a few of the last games dramatically helped those stats Hale posted. It's easier to play oline when they cant Tee off on you.

It's pretty wild to see the evolution of OL. None of the 4 highlighted as our best OL look like the old school "Hog Molly" road graders at all. They measure well but they are all legit athletes vs wide body fat boys of the past.

My youngest and I were on a late bus back to sky top and Bergeron was standing up front. Took me half the trip to realize it was a him despite his being massively tall and speaking French to a number of others. Looked more like a power forward than an OT and if we can get back to tempo you can see why these gentlemen will simply wear down and outlast/out work larger opposing DLs.

Two years ago we mocked the Louisville OL for their mind-boggling ineptitude. Last year, we got a taste of same, and UL improved significantly. I expect SU to continue the progress of last year, and look like a legitimate functioning P5 OL this year. And even have one guy drafted into the nfl next year.

Also they needed Vettorello to improve snapping so he could swap with Servais. that was key too.

AND get a true freshman tackle ready to play.

(which in the end exposes that we also don't have capable middle-classmen tackles. I'm already worried about the backups at OT)

There were a few "scary" snaps, but overall he accorded himself well. It's not as if there weren't some bad snaps with Servais, too.

I think that ultimately, the fear of the center / QB snap exchange is what made the coaching staff stick with the original lineup so long [unfortunately].

I can get behind the notion that Bergeron -- despite the immense physical talent -- needed that amount of time to get his assignments down, to the point that the coaching staff was comfortable putting him out there. But overall, I think that the concern over Vetterello snapping the ball was the main hangup, and was probably overblown. In fact, it may have sunk the season. The run game really picked up after we made the OL adjustments, and the pass blocking outside improved IMMENSELY.

Hopefully, with an entire off-season, he'll iron out any remaining kinks and settle in as our starting center for the next three years.

If we have a top 5 oline in the ACC next year we’ll be very good. Tommy showed what he could do toward the end of the season with an AVERAGE oline. I’m not worried about Tommy when he has more than a second or two in the pocket. I think we have the numbers and talent at receiver where someone will step up as the number one, someone has every year. I think the offense will be really good this year if we have a good Oline.

Defensively, if our kids can pick up the new scheme I think we will be really solid there too. Our new DC is a stud. We have the horses in the stable that we need they just need to be released. We have a great combo at Cornerback. Cisco will be Cisco. We have a solid rotation at DT. Our Canadian LB’s are going to be REALLY good in this scheme. Our biggest question is DE. But even there we have solid numbers but young talent where kids will need to step up and I think will. Honestly I think this is as deep as we have been on defense in awhile.

It's pretty wild to see the evolution of OL. None of the 4 highlighted as our best OL look like the old school "Hog Molly" road graders at all. They measure well but they are all legit athletes vs wide body fat boys of the past.

My youngest and I were on a late bus back to sky top and Bergeron was standing up front. Took me half the trip to realize it was a him despite his being massively tall and speaking French to a number of others. Looked more like a power forward than an OT and if we can get back to tempo you can see why these gentlemen will simply wear down and outlast/out work larger opposing DLs.
Good post, but have you seen Dakota Davis?

Here's my 2 questions for the board:
If Bleich is not able to play this season, who is the 5th lineman, and who becomes the 6th man?

Here's my 2 questions for the board:
If Bleich is not able to play this season, who is the 5th lineman, and who becomes the 6th man?
Plenty to chose from. At least 3 that graded the same as Bergeron. Others may step up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom