Offensive play calling, why? | Syracusefan.com

Offensive play calling, why?

ImperialOrange

Living Legend
1st and 10 at SYR 22 Ryan Nassib pass incomplete to Team, broken up by Dwayne Gratz.
2nd and 10 at SYR 22 Ryan Nassib pass complete to David Stevens for 15 yards to the Syrac 37 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at SYR 37 Ryan Nassib pass incomplete to Dorian Graham, broken up by Jory Johnson.
2nd and 10 at SYR 37 Antwon Bailey rush for 3 yards to the Syrac 40.
3rd and 7 at SYR 40 Ryan Nassib pass incomplete to Nick Provo.

Why run on 2nd and 10 after you just converted the last one passing and put yourself in 3rd and long?

1st and 10 at SYR 20 Ryan Nassibsacked by Ted Jennings for a loss of 1 yard to the Syrac 19.
2nd and 11 at SYR 19 Dorian Graham rush for 15 yards to the Syrac 34 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at SYR 34 Ryan Nassib pass intercepted by Jerome Junior at the UConn 47, returned for 12 yards to the Syrac 41.

Unsuccesful pass, successful run, why not run again?

1st and 10 at SYR 34 Antwon Bailey rush for 6 yards to the Syrac 40.
2nd and 4 at SYR 40 Antwon Bailey rush for 2 yards to the Syrac 42.
3rd and 2 at SYR 42 Jerome Smith rush for 3 yards to the Syrac 45 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at SYR 45 Ryan Nassib pass incomplete to Jarrod West.
2nd and 10 at SYR 45 Ryan Nassib pass complete to Alec Lemon for 6 yards to the UConn 49.
3rd and 4 at CONN 49 Ryan Nassib pass complete to Nick Provo for 7 yards to the UConn 42 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at CONN 42 Ryan Nassib pass intercepted by Sio Moore at the UConn 38, returned for no gain to the UConn 38.

Running game working a bit, in 4 down territory at their 42, why call a short pass on first down vs a run? If you're throwing at all it's gotta be down the feild right?

Of course hind sight is 20:20, but these play calls baffle me.

absolutely no problem with one single playcall today.
i hope this thread dies now.

1st and 10 at SYR 22 Ryan Nassib pass incomplete to Team, broken up by Dwayne Gratz.
2nd and 10 at SYR 22 Ryan Nassib pass complete to David Stevens for 15 yards to the Syrac 37 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at SYR 37 Ryan Nassib pass incomplete to Dorian Graham, broken up by Jory Johnson.
2nd and 10 at SYR 37 Antwon Bailey rush for 3 yards to the Syrac 40.
3rd and 7 at SYR 40 Ryan Nassib pass incomplete to Nick Provo.

Why run on 2nd and 10 after you just converted the last one passing and put yourself in 3rd and long?

- Because you can't abandon the run. A lot of people call runs after an incomplete pass. This is to see what happens. You saying why run on 2nd and 10 and put yourself in 3rd and long? Because if you throw an incomplete pass, your still in 3rd and long.

1st and 10 at SYR 20 Ryan Nassibsacked by Ted Jennings for a loss of 1 yard to the Syrac 19.
2nd and 11 at SYR 19 Dorian Graham rush for 15 yards to the Syrac 34 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at SYR 34 Ryan Nassib pass intercepted by Jerome Junior at the UConn 47, returned for 12 yards to the Syrac 41.

Unsuccesful pass, successful run, why not run again?
- Really? You want to just run end arounds all games (then you had better not had been angry about the 7 yard loss on 1st down with it)? And that play, not sure if Nassib had the pass option on the run play, but he threw an absolute ball after taking it out of Bailey's chest.

1st and 10 at SYR 34 Antwon Bailey rush for 6 yards to the Syrac 40.
2nd and 4 at SYR 40 Antwon Bailey rush for 2 yards to the Syrac 42.
3rd and 2 at SYR 42 Jerome Smith rush for 3 yards to the Syrac 45 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at SYR 45 Ryan Nassib pass incomplete to Jarrod West.
2nd and 10 at SYR 45 Ryan Nassib pass complete to Alec Lemon for 6 yards to the UConn 49.
3rd and 4 at CONN 49 Ryan Nassib pass complete to Nick Provo for 7 yards to the UConn 42 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at CONN 42 Ryan Nassib pass intercepted by Sio Moore at the UConn 38, returned for no gain to the UConn 38.

Running game working a bit, in 4 down territory at their 42, why call a short pass on first down vs a run? If you're throwing at all it's gotta be down the feild right?

- Now I am really confused. Running game = 11 yards. Passing game = 13 yards. As I recall, this was the rollout interception. Playcall had nothing to do with it. Good throw gains 10 yards. Bad throw gets picked.
Of course hind sight is 20:20, but these play calls baffle me.

The problem was not playcalling. The problem was execution.

An end around to the Tight End? Generally I didn't mind, more execution than anything else.

An end around to the Tight End? Generally I didn't mind, more execution than anything else.
exactly. End around to Provo? Freaking seriously?

44cuse

Actually you're right. That was stupid. My thought wouldn't be credible if I didn't admit that. But Hackett mixed it up beautifully today and if we had a single freakin playmaker, two or three could have gone the distance.

The problem was not playcalling. The problem was execution.

You can't abandon the run. So why not run on 1st to "see what happens" instead of 2nd and 10? You've still got the option to run on 2nd and 10 if the run goes nowhere.

Why not run again after the defense just got done chasing Graham all over the feild? (no issue with the -7 Graham run later since it means why tried something that had worked when running it prior)

Why not run on 1st down when you're driving, the defense is wearing down, and you've had success with running that drive?

You can't abandon the run. So why not run on 1st to "see what happens" instead of 2nd and 10? You've still got the option to run on 2nd and 10 if the run goes nowhere.

Why not run again after the defense just got done chasing Graham all over the feild? (no issue with the -7 Graham run later since it means why tried something that had worked when running it prior)

Why not run on 1st down when you're driving, the defense is wearing down, and you've had success with running that drive?

You say all this now b/c the pass didn't work. It truly is that simple. And if Syracuse ran on 1st and 2nd down, then there would be questions on why Syracuse did it.

Why not pass after the defense just done chasing Graham all over the field?

Because your "success" with the run was carrying 3 times for 11 yards. That is just over 3 yards a carry. Your success with the pass was 2 times for 13 yards. That is 6.5 per completion. Still not good, but doubles the run yards.
See what I am getting at? This is all hindsight. You judge the plays not based on what they are called and there overall significance to the game plan, but rather by the result. Also, without an indication of whether there was a breakdown on the play or, as what happened a lot in this game, execution wasn't there.

What about the backward pass in the endzone, you were OK with that?

Besides the backward pass in the endzone and the god awful tight end around there was another play which bothered me and we ran it at least twice:

A pitch to Bailey behind Nassib who runs up the middle right past Nassib. Can anyone tell me why you would do this? Why not let him get a running start while handing it off to him which is much safer as well. Someone please explain the benefit of this to me.

What about the backward pass in the endzone, you were OK with that?

You mean the one where Hackett said " Ryan, wait until the defensive lineman gets right between you and Antwon and then throw the ball to him dangerously close to getting it intercepted for a touchdown?"
Is that the one you mean?

exactly. End around to Provo? Freaking seriously?

44cuse
there's a good reason why you never heard the term tight end around until today. really weird idea there.

Besides the backward pass in the endzone and the god awful tight end around there was another play which bothered me and we ran it at least twice:

A pitch to Bailey behind Nassib who runs up the middle right past Nassib. Can anyone tell me why you would do this? Why not let him get a running start while handing it off to him which is much safer as well. Someone please explain the benefit of this to me.

You mean a counter run. Do you have any idea how many backs have cut back against the grain for big gainers on that?

You mean a counter run. Do you have any idea how many backs have cut back against the grain for big gainers on that?

It wasn't a counter, it was straight up the middle. You have to go in a certain direction to counter.

You mean the one where Hackett said " Ryan, wait until the defensive lineman gets right between you and Antwon and then throw the ball to him dangerously close to getting it intercepted for a touchdown?"
Is that the one you mean?

No ... it was the backward pass to the 4th string RB, where he caught a high pass on his own goaline. The one that if he dropped it would have been a TD or safety for UConn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom