Offensive problems stems from poor scheme | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Offensive problems stems from poor scheme

Getting the ball out faster was one of the schematic changes that Mora commented on last night - said that Leach did that at WSU to compensate for poor line play.
Heard that. But it isn’t some silver bullet, something Dino hasn’t tried. It is how we started the NC state game, with 4 futile possessions with quick throws, ending up with short gains, no first downs (other than a wildcat series) and 4 punts. Maybe it would work with a QB who could see the field better, anticipate and make the right decisions. The defense pretty much knew what was coming, played tight on the bubbles, The counter, tried this time, is to throw mid-range, or long.

Why is our OL so bad in year 4? Somebody needs to take the blame.

if you’re pinning the blame somewhere, this and the hiring of OL coach is where I’d start (and end)

Empty backfield 3rd down like 8 times. 8 sacks no one to pick up the blitz, meanwhile we know the o line cant block. Its time for a new offensive coordinator.
Every time our back motioned out of the backfield the defensive line was probably laughing. Pretty much a guaranteed hit on the qb anyway but even less resistance now. And not like the pass was going to the back anyway.

Give us Clayton’s legs, Clayton’s pocket presence, Tommy’s arm and we can win despite this OL.

But since that’s not happening, I’m curious if people think there’s a short term (2020) fix to this problem.

Give us Clayton’s legs, Clayton’s pocket presence, Tommy’s arm and we can win despite this OL.

But since that’s not happening, I’m curious if people think there’s a short term (2020) fix to this problem.
A d1 linemen group is a nice starting point.

If you want to go fast, you give up a lot on offense. Can't have multiple formations if you are trying to go fast.
Going fast only works if you execute! We begin our games with numerous 3 and out's; this tires our D and makes it harder for them to do their job! We need creative play-calling to keep moving down the field. That will make fast work!

Is this offense any different from the previous ones? Besides Dungey (and Lewis), not really. Four years of an awful running game—and it ain’t the RBs. I also really hate this RB by committee system.

How did we have such a great season last year, and the recruiting improvement was minimal at best? Very troubling.

Silver lining, at least all the people that loved criticizing Dungey’s game can kick major rocks now. This current offense won’t work with a pocket passer.

We give up 7-8 sacks a game, lose the last two by 6, then 7 - coming off a ten win season and people are saying Welch is the man, Dino can’t recruit, and our scheme on O sucks.

it’s obvious that our OL is short circuiting near every possession

people are saying we win both these games with Eric or Welch - but I’d give anything for Martin and Conway

I think we abandoned the run tonight before the game started.

And all the false starts, at home, is inconceivable.

This hot mess isn’t going to be fixed this year, so watch at your own risk.

We certainly did. I think I heard during the broadcast last night at the time our 1st 11 out of 12 plays from scrimmage were passes. The last stat I saw relative to our running prowess was early 4Q, where I think at that time we had something like a minus 12 yards rushing for the game. Yikes. :(

I've lost so much faith in this coaching staff. Even that last scoring drive we had took forever. Why run up the gut for a 2 yard gain and waste 30 seconds?

If your OL can't block the scheme doesn't much matter.
Problem with the scheme is we dont help them out at all either. Very rarely do we come out in 12/13 personnel. That helps an under-talented OLine immensely. Empty sets with this OLine is a joke. No idea why they are still calling these types of play. Get under center, bring a different personnel grouping and force the defense to defend an outside zone where the HB can attack outside or inside which then opens up a ton of different counters. Running scheme sucks here.

if you’re pinning the blame somewhere, this and the hiring of OL coach is where I’d start (and end)
Who hired him? Who has final say on who gets an offer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom