Official Boneyard Unintentional Hilarity Thread. | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Official Boneyard Unintentional Hilarity Thread.

What happens to their so called football team?
Who would even take them just for football?

I think this guy has a somewhat inflated view of UConn’s place in the college landscape in 2019.

In a way, I hope today's news will spark a bigger national debate about the demise of college athletics and the direction it is headed. The name UConn is a huge name and nationally recognized. That hasn't and wont' change. But the P5 split has very real consequences to the NCAA and college athletics in general. Maybe UConn dropping down to second tier will open enough eyes that a real long hard look will take place into the scamshow of the NCAA. I hope so. It'll help me feel better that UConn has fallen on its sword here.

I like “dropping down to second tier” as if it is a process currently underway and not something that happened many years ago.
lol
I’m not sure he understands what “falling on your sword” means though.
I think he means that UConn succumbing to the depths of mediocrity (at best) and throwing in the towel vis a vis football will get people saying, "OMG!!! Look what happened to UConn! We can't allow this! Let's disassemble the NCAA and replace it with something more reasonable! And we need to make sure UConn has a seat at the table! Look - they fell on their sword to open our eyes! We owe them that!"

But probably with more exclamation points.

lol

I think he means that UConn succumbing to the depths of mediocrity (at best) and throwing in the towel vis a vis football will get people saying, "OMG!!! Look what happened to UConn! We can't allow this! Let's disassemble the NCAA and replace it with something more reasonable! And we need to make sure UConn has a seat at the table! Look - they fell on their sword to open our eyes! We owe them that!"

But probably with more exclamation points.
Yep, now it’s just time to sit back and wait for the outrage. They were also smart enough to let this all spill on the weekend. By Monday it may be old news.

These guys’ brains are so broken after six seasons in the American they’d probably find a way to rip JB if he offered to donate his next five years’ salary to the UConn AD.

I love that Boeheim is out there pumping up the move, and the conference. That miserable old fart hates being the ACC.

UConn just lost the war. Conference affiliation is 99.999% about football. They want to be the flagship university in the northeast over BC, Cuse, Rutgers, etc. They got overlooked twice. So instead of staying in a conference with solid football schools and trying to build themselves up, they voluntarily remove themselves from the conference only to end up in the MAC or CUSA. Even further diluting any appeal they may have down the line if the P5 expands.

All for what? So basketball can play in a private school northeast basketball league that is nothing like it was in the 1990s or 2000s. Oh yeah and FS1! That league holds nostalgia and not much more.

This should help Hurley in recruiting, but overall as an athletics department this seems like suicide

This is just a precursor to dropping football in like 5-7 years. They were probably waiting to see what that AAC contract looked like but when it was underwhelming they probably started the gears in motion for this. They probably look at that budget shortfall and want to cut women’s programs but they’re boxed in by Title IX. So they downgrade football, go independent or whatever but they’ll have no bowl tie in and the schedule is going to be a mess. So eventually they’re going to look at those 85 scholarships plus the 85 women’s scholarships they can dump and probably solve some of their budget issues. UConn football won’t be a thing in 10 years, I would guess.

This is just a precursor to dropping football in like 5-7 years. They were probably waiting to see what that AAC contract looked like but when it was underwhelming they probably started the gears in motion for this. They probably look at that budget shortfall and want to cut women’s programs but they’re boxed in by Title IX. So they downgrade football, go independent or whatever but they’ll have no bowl tie in and the schedule is going to be a mess. So eventually they’re going to look at those 85 scholarships plus the 85 women’s scholarships they can dump and probably solve some of their budget issues. UConn football won’t be a thing in 10 years, I would guess.
I’m not sure they’ll drop football completely. I think they’ll first try to go back to D-1AA (65 scholarships) and see how that turns out. (Too much pride involved.) If it doesn’t, then they’ll completely drop football, like their old Yankee Conference compadres, New Hampshire and Vermont, did.

I’m not sure they’ll drop football completely. I think they’ll first try to go back to D-1AA (65 scholarships) and see how that turns out. (Too much pride involved.) If it doesn’t, then they’ll completely drop football, like their old Yankee Conference compadres, New Hampshire and Vermont, did.
New Hampshire still plays football and in fact is a power at the FCS level. They play in the Colonial Conference, along with Maine, Rhode Island and Villanova.

If I was the AD for UConn, that conference is where I would be hoping to eventually land. They already have Villanova, which I believe only plays football there. That would be perfect for them. The financial demands of playing at the BCS level of football are just too much.

New Hampshire still plays football and in fact is a power at the FCS level. They play in the Colonial Conference, along with Maine, Rhode Island and Villanova.

If I was the AD for UConn, that conference is where I would be hoping to eventually land. They already have Villanova, which I believe only plays football there. That would be perfect for them. The financial demands of playing at the BCS level of football are just too much.
My mistake. They gave up MLax. :oops:

This.
UConn fans are in a Civil War right now with half applauding this move, and the other half realizing the BIG picture that's emerged. They are now relegated to Nova-like status as their best option: Try to be relevant in March, and downgrade to FCS for football. But the die has now been cast.
I have UConn family members who're as torn as ever, while I'm sitting over here like McDonald's..."I'm lovin' it"!!! Bwahahahaha :p

This.
UConn fans are in a Civil War right now with half applauding this move, and the other half realizing the BIG picture that's emerged. They are now relegated to Nova-like status as their best option: Try to be relevant in March, and downgrade to FCS for football. But the die has now been cast.
I have UConn family members who're as torn as ever, while I'm sitting over here like McDonald's..."I'm lovin' it"!!! Bwahahahaha :p

UConn, the little engine that couldn't.

This.
You think it is proper to gloat over UConn's demise???? Oh wait, I do too.