OFFICIAL: Chris McCullough has a torn ACL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OFFICIAL: Chris McCullough has a torn ACL

Thoughts with Chris. Just feel awful for him.

Now for those who were thinking bad news day will be when we hear from our dear friends at the NCAA, this is that day. May as well add to it.

Well, crap. Get better soon, big fella.

This is just setting up for the NCAA to tell our stacked team we're not going to the tourney next season.

Well, crap. Get better soon, big fella.

This is just setting up for the NCAA to tell our stacked team we're not going to the tourney next season.

I dont even want to think about that... we will be STACKED if Chris and Coleman are back. A tourney ban next year would be just awful.

The hits just keep coming. Feel bad for the team and us fans, but mostly for Chris.

Just out of curiosity, and this is for the medical professionals who play here as well, is there any chance that they might find other issues once they get inside during the surgery? Obviously I hope not, just wondering if there is any chance.

How soon will they know how quick he can come back. Is it a standard recovery period or will they only know after the surgery. I'm wondering whether he'll definitely be healthy for the start of next season.

Let's hope we learn something from DC II's issues and we get the surgery scheduled as soon as tomorrow.

How soon will they know how quick he can come back. Is it a standard recovery period or will they only know after the surgery. I'm wondering whether he'll definitely be healthy for the start of next season.

Let's hope we learn something from DC II's issues and we get the surgery scheduled as soon as tomorrow.
Will let CuseRegular weigh in but believe no surgery until the swelling subsides. That is the total extent of my knowledge.

sad
images

Can't imagine he won't be ready by next fall.

Hopefully with all the rehab his knees will be much stronger than before and his knees will be more capable of handling the stresses of BB. It seems to me when you look at these kids they spend a lot time bulking up their upper bodies. I just wish they spent more time strenghtening their knees with weight training before the season.

Heal up and then seize the day!

Stupid question but will his medical needs be fully covered as a D-1 athlete?

Yes. If you get hurt while participating in a sport, there is insurance for you.

The stupid rule is that overuse injuries that endurance athletes get (like stress fractures) don't count (or at least they didn't 15 years ago).

Heal up and then seize the day!

Stupid question but will his medical needs be fully covered as a D-1 athlete?
Most definitely they will. I worked at a smallish D1 university in athletics and all athletes are covered 100%

Feel for the big fella. Dang it just sucks on all levels for Chris. Talk about things not working out the way he had planned. Let's hope he makes a full recovery and has a long successful basketball career!

Awful news, does this mean more pt for Roberson?
yep ironman basketball Christmas, Roberson, Gbinije, and Cooney playing 35+ each with Joseph playing 20-25, Patterson playing 15-20, BJ and chino playing as needed unless blowout

Man, there is always something!!!

Feel terrible for Chris - I was really looking forward to his development this season. This injury takes time but he will come back at full strength and be in beast mode.

Will let CuseRegular weigh in but believe no surgery until the swelling subsides. That is the total extent of my knowledge.
absolutely, sometime late next week should give enough time for the anti inflamms to work. The REAL good news is that it must be JUST the ACL as that pic of him on pg 2 shows no major bracing which means other than the ACL instability there's no gross instability that you worry about with the ACL, MCL and Meniscus tear through total blow out. Prognosis is so much better. So given what could have been and the fact he's obviously not it extreme pain his future remains bright.

Last edited:
Obviously a huge setback for CM, the team and the Syracuse fanbase. But, oftentimes when misfortune strikes and you look hard enough you can see opportunity which is brought about by misfortune. Life's greatest triumphs are often born on the heels of adversity and Chris and the team will have opportunities which arise from this.

First off, Chris will be in great hands medically especially once he gets to the point where he begins his rehab. Brad Pike head of sports medicine and Ryan Cabiles with strength and conditioning will provide an excellent rehab program for Chris. Looking back we can all remember how Eric Devendorf and Andy Rautins both suffered the same injury and came back better than ever. Brandon Triche suffered a very bad ACL tear his soph. year of high school. CJ Fair also tore his ACL in high school.

As this season has unfolded to this point it became increasingly clear that although Chris is blessed with considerable size and ability he is going to need time to both work on his game and gain strength and a few pounds. It would seem that in light of the injury the chances that Chris returns for a 2nd season at Cuse are enhanced greatly. That will provide him with the opportunity to work out and gain strength while he rehabs his knee and also provide him with another year of maturity.

As some of the previous posters here have pointed out imagine having both Chris and DeJuan available to the team next year! Pretty scary for the opposition. In the short term however Chris's absence will likely provide opportunity for BJ Johnson. BJ's play has been as enigmatic as Chris's and perhaps more so but he is another kid who ostensibly is highly talented and waiting to burst onto the scene once he gets his confidence and gains a few lbs. No better time than now to take advantage of the opportunity created by the team and Chris's misfortune.

Perhaps most importantly though, is that Chris has successful surgery to repair his ACL and then finds the resolve to go about the business of his rehabilitation so he can resume his basketball career wherever the future may bring him. As fans I'm sure we'd all love to see Chris MacCullough return to the Orange healed and rarin' to go next season but we should all recall how like with Nerlins Noel, The NBA is always raiding the college talent despite an even worse injury to his leg during his freshman campaign.

I can only imagine all of the thoughts which are swirling around in Chris's head right now with his world having just be turned upside down. I'm sure he will get lots of support and encouragement from his teammates and fans like all of us who want what is best for Chris first and foremost. I'm hoping that he will have the ability to quickly overcome the grief and disappointment associated with such and injury and will soon be able to visualize himself healthy, happy and productive both on and off the basketball court.

Well CM5 already plans on coming back next year if you read the quotes. Nerlens Noel was projected to be a #1 Pick, so there was a different story there. CM5 was falling out of the lottery at the time of injry, again not trending in the right direction. With a monster CM5 back and a healthy DC2, I like our chances even more next year. Throw in a consiseten Cooney and Beast mode Silent G, we will have a loaded team. The bench will be insane. But we all know the NCAA will come calling and piss off the entire state of NY. I swear to god they better not ban the team from the postseason next year.

Credit to Chris to be at practice, and doing an interview. He must be so devastated. He is basically a kid who has had the rug pulled out from under him. Do we really know what would have happened with him and the draft? No. This could be an injury that affects him financially and affects his ability to do something he loves. I would not wish this on anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom