Official EMU Game Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Official EMU Game Thread

I have no words for this team. Bad teams don't absolutely annihilate decent mid-majors. This team is so strange.

They tighten up so much if the game is close. Nobody seems to play all that instinctively except maybe Thompson and Coleman.

I also think they make a TON of little mistakes that these teams can't exploit. Howard dribbles off his knee, or some other crap, and can still recover. Gillon jumps in the air randomly with the ball because that's what Gillon does, but the defense is a step slow on the steal when he passes, etc...

I have no words for this team. Bad teams don't absolutely annihilate decent mid-majors. This team is so strange.
We're like a spread offense football team that runs it up on inferior athletes but sputters against equal talent

We have 31 assists on 33 field goals. 7 guys in double figures, with Thompson at 9. Incredible stats.

They have not shown this much ball movement all year. I'm not saying this would beat an ACC team, but it sure as hell will create more open shots than we've been creating with all one on one offense against m2m.
Agreed. This looked different than the other blow out wins. Much more cohesive and crisp.

This team is mind-boggling. In the past when we've struggled vs. decent team, we've struggled vs. the cupcakes as well. We barely look like a P5 team against freaking UConn and GTOwn, but are destroying everyone else. I'd have a better read on this team if we won games like this 68-64. But we've dominated in 7 of our 11 games this year. I mean, BU beat UConn like 51-48 a week before we beat them 99-77 but lost to UConn. I just don't get it.

This team is mind-boggling. In the past when we've struggled vs. decent team, we've struggled vs. the cupcakes as well. We barely look like a P5 team against freaking UConn and GTOwn, but are destroying everyone else. I'd have a better read on this team if we won games like this 68-64. But we've dominated in 7 of our 11 games this year. I mean, BU beat UConn like 51-48 a week before we beat them 99-77 but lost to UConn. I just don't get it.
Short answer: Stage frightitis...

Short answer: Stage frightitis...
Seems like it - 2 5th YR transfers so they should be used to big games (maybe not NCAA Tourney level big - but AW3 has played @ Michigan State, etc). And 4 players who played in a run to the Final 4 last year. This team shouldn't be scared of the big stage. If anything the freshman look like the least nervous

Seems like it - 2 5th YR transfers so they should be used to big games (maybe not NCAA Tourney level big - but AW3 has played @ Michigan State, etc). And 4 players who played in a run to the Final 4 last year. This team shouldn't be scared of the big stage. If anything the freshman look like the least nervous
True, maybe the frosh don't know any better/less pressure on the shoulders?

Running a nice zone offense against a zone defense. Teams that play m2m you can't do this and we'll be left with more dribble penetration.

Best I can remember, clearly a point of emphasis for Boeheim before tonight.

TT and Battle's play tonight gives us hope.

We are up to #30 on KenPom. Our propensity to blow out some of the decent mid majors we face is really screwing with his formula.

They have not shown this much ball movement all year. I'm not saying this would beat an ACC team, but it sure as hell will create more open shots than we've been creating with all one on one offense against m2m.

Agree 100%. Passing was much crisper today. 34 assists speaks for itself, especially for a team that has struggled to do anything effective when forced to play half court ball.

Funny how much better the offense looks when the team passes the rock instead of pounding it outside. Your observation is spot on--compared to how we've been playing offensively, tonight was at least a positive sign despite the opponent.

Last edited:
Much better passing and quicker decisions being made. Much more purposeful offense. But these games vs zone are not going to help us VS the good M2Ms even a Clemson will deploy.

didn't learn anything from this game. This year's SU team is the schoolyard bully. Beats up the weaklings and folds against anyone who punches back.

didn't learn anything from this game. This year's SU team is the schoolyard bully. Beats up the weaklings and folds against anyone who punches back.

I think that the majority of this team's issues have been execution based.

They need to find a way to carry over the quality offensive execution to better opponents. And I know that tonight's opponent played primarily zone, but 34 assists with much sharper ball movement is impressive no matter who the opponent. Have to build upon tonight's performance.

OttoMets said:
Best I can remember, clearly a point of emphasis for Boeheim before tonight.

The shame is that most teams play m2m. I hope people aren't going to expect this type of offense vs a m2m.

The shame is that most teams play m2m. I hope people aren't going to expect this type of offense vs a m2m.

For sure, and teams like Virginia Tech will give us problems. But I remember so many ugly offensive possessions against zone in recent years, right up through Connecticut, so it's good to see that they were well-prepared and executed well last night.