Official World Cup Prediction Thread ! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Official World Cup Prediction Thread !

Didier Deschamps left Samir Nasri off the France squad because he's been a trouble maker and bad for the locker room in the past. It's a one-off tournament, have to go with your gut.

Sunil Gulati wanted JK in 2006. He wouldn't have fired him for dropping Donovan. JK has the mentality that American players need. Never be satisfied, always push through dips in form, etc. Fight. He obviously thought LD didn't have those traits. He's Cali cool. Content where he is. They just didn't jive.

Guys like Klinsmann and Prandelli, who have gotten pre-tourney extensions, are exceptions - and they still take who they want to.

It's like a gentleman's agreement though. Not sure about Klinsmann, but I'm willing to bet that if Italy flames out again this time, Prandelli will walk away from his extension and the FIGC will hire someone else to guide the Azzurri through Euro qualifying and the lead-up to 2018.

Didier Deschamps left Samir Nasri off the France squad because he's been a trouble maker and bad for the locker room in the past. It's a one-off tournament, have to go with your gut.

Sunil Gulati wanted JK in 2006. He wouldn't have fired him for dropping Donovan. JK has the mentality that American players need. Never be satisfied, always push through dips in form, etc. Fight. He obviously thought LD didn't have those traits. He's Cali cool. Content where he is. They just didn't jive.
We sort of agree, it was a decision based on personality, not ability. I think Jurgy was simply lieing in his " Landon was a little behind technically " Coaches often lie to media so its nothing new. He wasn't going to say "I don't really like LD and the way he goes about his life"

Last edited:
Who wins? Brazil. If Brazil doesn't win I will be floored.

Who Gets the Golden Boot? Neymar

Biggest Surprise Team? Columbia

Upset Game? Costa Rica over England

Team you wish was in? Ukraine and they were in Russia's group.

Does USA make it through? Depends on the Ghana match. Win and I think they will play for a draw against Portugal and Germany.

How will England do? Group stage I got Uruguay and Italy advancing.

Top 2 each group
Group A
Brazil
Mexico
Group B
Spain
Chile
Group C(really wish the USA were here)
Columbia
Greece
Group D(real group of Death)
Uruguay(Suarez dices England)
Italy
Group E
France
Equador
Group F
Argentina
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Group G
Germany
Ghana( Until we beat them I will favor them if we beat them USA)
Group H(2nd easiest group)
Belgium
Russia

Final 4 Germany vs Brazil, Spain vs Argentina,
Final Brazil over Argentina

It's like a gentleman's agreement though. Not sure about Klinsmann, but I'm willing to bet that if Italy flames out again this time, Prandelli will walk away from his extension and the FIGC will hire someone else to guide the Azzurri through Euro qualifying and the lead-up to 2018.

Agreed. Flame out in first round and Prandelli is toast - extension or not.

Who wins? Brazil has a brutal draw after their easy group stage. They likely play the Netherlands in the Round of 16 (#2 in Group B) and then Spain in the quarterfinals (#1 Group B). Then, if they make it past those 2 (last Cup's finalists), they get either Italy, Japan or Uruguay. I don't see Brazil making it past Spain in the Round of 16 and people will be screaming for Big Phil's head.

Germany has the much easier side of the draw, likely facing Russia in the Round of 16, Belgium in the Quarterfinals and Argentina or Nigeria in the semis. I think Germany wins the tournament.

Who Gets the Golden Boot? Muller

Biggest Surprise Team? France makes semifinals

Upset Game? Japan over Italy in Round of 16

Team you wish was in? All my favorites are here.

Does USA make it through? No, the defense is just too leaky and has no chemistry due to the constantly changing lineup. Germany will tear us apart if we defend as we have in these last couple games and it only take a moment for Cristiano Ronaldo to create some magic to get an over-rated Portugal side past us and into the Round of 16.

How will England do? Will not make it out of the group stage. Uruguay has too much firepower in Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani, and Italy wins the group.

Last edited:
Colombia's upset bid took a hit yesterday as it was confirmed Falcao will not be available for them.

I really hope Russia loses every game !

Which is worse Russia 2018? Qatar 2022?

Colombia's upset bid took a hit yesterday as it was confirmed Falcao will not be available for them.

Honestly, they have a sick strikeforce. Not sure how big the footy fans here are but...

Carlos Bacca-Great debut season in La Liga with Sevilla. He and Rakitic (Croatia) formed a deadly attack. They won the Europa League (NIT-ish type thing)
Jackson Martinez- Classic center forward. Scoring goals at every level. I assume will make a move from Porto to a big club in the next year.
Adrian Ramos-Crushed the Bundesliga this year with Hertha. Earned a move to top side Borussia Dortmund.

Didn't even mention the attacking mid quality: Quintero, Cuadrado, James Rodriguez, etc.

LOVE Colombia to make a big run (like Uruguay in 2010). South American soil, quality attack.

There is a reason why Porto (considered one of the best at turning $5 million player to $25 million player) always scout in Colombia.

Honestly, they have a sick strikeforce. Not sure how big the footy fans here are but...

Carlos Bacca-Great debut season in La Liga with Sevilla. He and Rakitic (Croatia) formed a deadly attack. They won the Europa League (NIT-ish type thing)
Jackson Martinez- Classic center forward. Scoring goals at every level. I assume will make a move from Porto to a big club in the next year.
Adrian Ramos-Crushed the Bundesliga this year with Hertha. Earned a move to top side Borussia Dortmund.

Didn't even mention the attacking mid quality: Quintero, Cuadrado, James Rodriguez, etc.

LOVE Colombia to make a big run (like Uruguay in 2010). South American soil, quality attack.

There is a reason why Porto (considered one of the best at turning $5 million player to $25 million player) always scout in Colombia.
I know they're still loaded, but there's no denying Falcao's proven quality. Despite spurning bigger clubs to move to Monaco (and honestly what millionaire 28 year old wouldn't want to spend their off days in Monaco), he's still more proven at the highest level. I have no doubt Colombia still has the class to be a very dangerous team, but a healthy Falcao would make them better. Also not looking forward to Dortmund adding Ramos. He's going to be a terror with Reus.

I know they're still loaded, but there's no denying Falcao's proven quality. Despite spurning bigger clubs to move to Monaco (and honestly what millionaire 28 year old wouldn't want to spend their off days in Monaco), he's still more proven at the highest level. I have no doubt Colombia still has the class to be a very dangerous team, but a healthy Falcao would make them better. Also not looking forward to Dortmund adding Ramos. He's going to be a terror with Reus.
Until Reus eventually moves on...to Bayern...