Officiating | Syracusefan.com

Officiating

OttoMets

Living Legend
This has to be discussed. Not here, but on a national level, among coaches whose opinions matter.

What a disgrace. A fun game, but fun in the way that some people think professional wrestling is fun.

To be honest, I prefer games that allow contact more so than games that are officiated tightly. Unfortunately, we're dealing with an environment that is handled in extremes. A neutrally officiated game would be fantastic, but that's about as likely as seeing a blue moon.

I get annoyed with inconsistency and flat out missed calls, like the numerous defensive fouls called against us in the FSU game when the ballhandler would drive directly into a stationary defender, with his hands vertical, and get the foul call. The refs kept motioning that the defender brought his arms down but, no, no he didn't; he was hit full force in the chest and bent over as a result.

Inconsistency is a problem; the unwillingness to blow whistles on late-game contact is unacceptable. Patterson and Gbinije both got thrown over opposite baselines toward the end, right in front of an official each time.

There was a ridiculous sequence in the first half in which Gbinije got whistled for a reach-in that involved no contact, then Christmas made a dunk at the other end while being crashed into by the defender (without a call).

Frankly, nearly every play that involves Christmas leaves me shaking my head. It's rugby at one end and touch-fouls at the other.

Patterson's first-half runout looked bad in live action, too.

that one ref had a boner for calling everything against us. that one phantom call on gbinije from 60 feet away

a block on binije when he was planted

a block on rak when he got plowed into

and others

There were a few just bizarre calls.

I thought the one guy called a few from bad angles (well behind the play) that were kind of surprising considering the ref on the baseline wasn't blowing the whistle and had the better view.

Thought toward the end there were a couple where we CLEARLY were pushed out of bounds (Gbinje once after a rebound - we still got the ball but he was fouled, and Patterson I think on our own end - we also got the ball after a review) that were bizarre no-calls.

Also, fwiw, I thought Roberson might have traveled on that inbound pass from G before our final possession in regulation with the missed lay -up...anyone else think that? I heard the Wake bench screaming that he traveled.

Going to the monitor twice to see who the ball went out of bounds off of, seemed to take forever.

I thought it was Ok except for an over-reliance on the monitor to make calls.

that one ref had a boner for calling everything against us. that one phantom call on gbinije from 60 feet away

a block on binije when he was planted

a block on rak when he got plowed into

and others
I honestly didn't like the Mike G call, but wish in general we would see more blocks than charges.I don't understand what refs expect defenders to do when an offensive player torpedoes into a defender like that. RAK didn't appear to move but stand their and hold his ground. It's really a bailout call by the refs. It should just be a play on situation. I'm not a ref so I could be in the total wrong with that opinion.
I just know the NBA refs give the defender more credit in that situation when a offensive player dives into a defender who jumps straight up or holds his ground when getting jumped into.

1316713879_castle_reaction.gif

I honestly didn't like the Mike G call, but wish in general we would see more blocks than charges.I don't understand what refs expect defenders to do when an offensive player torpedoes into a defender like that. RAK didn't appear to move but stand their and hold his ground. It's really a bailout call by the refs. It should just be a play on situation. I'm not a ref so I could be in the total wrong with that opinion.
I just know the NBA refs give the defender more credit in that situation when a offensive player dives into a defender who jumps straight up or holds his ground when getting jumped into.

had rak flopped instead of just move backwards...he might have gotten the call.

I really saw only one egregious call (G's block). There were a couple of other shady ones, but most were judgement calls and I couldn't really argue either way.

Rak is going to get and give a lot of calls. He plays exceptionally physical down low (and can handle it). I mostly wish he would stop complaining after every play, though. Let Jimmy B work the refs.

I really saw only one egregious call (G's block). There were a couple of other shady ones, but most were judgement calls and I couldn't really argue either way.

Rak is going to get and give a lot of calls. He plays exceptionally physical down low (and can handle it). I mostly wish he would stop complaining after every play, though. Let Jimmy B work the refs.

Agreed on Rak. He's so strong and he initiates contact a LOT. He's not going to get the calls on those even if they pry one of his arms off and start hitting him over the head with his own arm.

I honestly have no idea what a defender is supposed to do in the case where the guy was driving and Rak moved over in front of him. I thought he got there in time and stood straight up, but is he just supposed to watch the kid drive?

The 4th foul on Rak was the worst call of the night. You could see JB dropping a few F bombs when the camera zoomed in on him.

I honestly have no idea what a defender is supposed to do in the case where the guy was driving and Rak moved over in front of him. I thought he got there in time and stood straight up, but is he just supposed to watch the kid drive?

That one was ridiculous. He basically turned around and the kid was out of control and barreled into him. The Defender doesn't need to be 100% set if they already occupy that space. They are entitled to their space and being set and not moving is for when the defender is trying to beat the offensive player to the spot not when the defender has been there for 3 seconds already.

I typically appreciate your insight, but if that's your take, you didn't watch last night's game.

That was my reaction almost to a T, so to speak. As in, I was going to say something, then I realized ... so, nah ...

Last edited:
I haven't seen a game since 'Nova, and I agreed we got homered there. That being said, I think all you guys who routinely criticize the officials, for whom every call against SU is akin to The Rape of the Sabine Women, should become officials. There's obviously a need, you can all obviously do better, so why not get in there and show us what you got? Make basketball better! :) But I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen because most are too comfortable cursing the darkness rather than lighting a candle. But I've watched several games while on line here, and seen comments here that indicate to me some ... um ... need an adjustment to their sense of perspective.

edit: please note, my use of the word "you" is not intended to be personal or to mean any one given individual

Last edited:
There were a few just bizarre calls.

I thought the one guy called a few from bad angles (well behind the play) that were kind of surprising considering the ref on the baseline wasn't blowing the whistle and had the better view.

Thought toward the end there were a couple where we CLEARLY were pushed out of bounds (Gbinje once after a rebound - we still got the ball but he was fouled, and Patterson I think on our own end - we also got the ball after a review) that were bizarre no-calls.

Also, fwiw, I thought Roberson might have traveled on that inbound pass from G before our final possession in regulation with the missed lay -up...anyone else think that? I heard the Wake bench screaming that he traveled.

He traveled.

Only issue I have with officiating this game was the lack of calls on Rak getting murdered 10 times without a call...

Rak was getting hacked and telling the refs about it all night. I can imagine the ref's response. "You shot at 62% and made 35 points. Getting hacked is a good for you."

One thing I learned from playing the post at a much lower level than Roc in highschool is if you are stronger than the guy guarding you, you tend to not get as many calls from the officials. You just don't. Officials see the big strong guys and because of the ability to play through contact officials don't think that they are fouled.

The game wasn't officiated terribly. There were a couple of bad calls on us. The G Block being one.

Rak could have gotten about 10 more and ones, but they probably would have meant he would have fouled it 30 min into the game..

One thing I learned from playing the post at a much lower level than Roc in highschool is if you are stronger than the guy guarding you, you tend to not get as many calls from the officials. You just don't. Officials see the big strong guys and because of the ability to play through contact officials don't think that they are fouled.

The game wasn't officiated terribly. There were a couple of bad calls on us. The G Block being one.

This. Very very true. In my old man league we have this one kid who played 4 years at St. Mike's and upon graduation he was begged to try out for the local semi-pro football team. He's 6'5" and jacked like a brick you know what. He gets hit every time he tries to bring the ball inside and I've never seen him get a call. This is the same thing Rak faces I think. Against slightly smaller guys anyway. I also tend to think Rak was known as a foul-machine last year so he never gets the 50-50 calls. I'm sure Cowtown can confirm that players sometimes do have reputations that might bias officials, even slightly.

Fair enough. The difficult thing in a matchup like that is to see not just contact, but to see whether the contact creates an advantage or disadvantage. Who initiates the contact is also important. Because as you know, contact does not mean afoul occurred, disadvantage does. A small guy usually has to push pretty hard to disadvantage a guy who's a lot bigger. And on the other hand, you can't penalize a guy for being bigger than the guy guarding him. Or, you shouldn't, at least. Also consider big guys don't need to push too hard on a small guy to create disadvantage. Sometimes I see big players go to the basket and a small guy tries to block the shot and actually just bounces off, while the ball goes cleanly through the basket and the shooter lands balanced and under control. Yeah there was contact, but no real disadvantage, so I've got a no-call on that. It's not easy, especially at more elite levels. And it would be less difficult if players would just play honestly (and yes, you can play hard at the same time) instead of trying to draw calls. Floppers and the "And one!" whiners piss me off. If you get fouled, fine, but you're not entitled to be fouled. You don't need refs to have a foul shooting tournament. Again just sharing thoughts; this is all just conversation, not a shot toward toward anyone.