Class of 2021 - OG Kalan Ellis (HI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 OG Kalan Ellis (HI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

Last kid we got this big was the kid from NYC who still has yet to play.

Probably the wrong place to ask but wondering how that guy is progressing.

Love the size. Have to be big up the middle and have big guards. Pretty sure LSUs guards are north of 335. (At least their starters are.)

Ellis looks mean, good balance and technique. carries the size. Legs are freaking sequoias. Plays a lot of tackle in the video.

isn’t St Louis the top high school in Hawaii?

Last edited:
Last kid we got this big was the kid from NYC who still has yet to play.

Probably the wrong place to ask but wondering how that guy is progressing.

they moved him to guard and this is his sophomore year this year.

Aloha Kalan,

1595560248710.jpeg

Dude is big and he is strong. Watching his highlights it's clear that he is just bigger than anyone he plays against, when he gets his hands on them in pass pro, it's over, he gives up virtually no ground at all.

I think he needs to get better as a bender on his drop steps, he seems a little high. But given that he seems really high in his drops, how he still stonewalls everyone is very impressive, speaks to his strength a lot. Once he cleans up his technique some more (as all HS kids need to do) he looks like he can be a good one.

That said, I hope somebody helps up his mean streak level. I want to see him bury guys in the run game, he knocks them out, with his initial punch, but he isn't driving guys to the ground and imposing his will (at least in his highlights) very often. That's something I'd love to see more of.

Can't wait to get this kid on campus. He looks like he has all the tools to be something special.

Dude is big and he is strong. Watching his highlights it's clear that he is just bigger than anyone he plays against, when he gets his hands on them in pass pro, it's over, he gives up virtually no ground at all.

I think he needs to get better as a bender on his drop steps, he seems a little high. But given that he seems really high in his drops, how he still stonewalls everyone is very impressive, speaks to his strength a lot. Once he cleans up his technique some more (as all HS kids need to do) he looks like he can be a good one.

That said, I hope somebody helps up his mean streak level. I want to see him bury guys in the run game, he knocks them out, with his initial punch, but he isn't driving guys to the ground and imposing his will (at least in his highlights) very often. That's something I'd love to see more of.

Can't wait to get this kid on campus. He looks like he has all the tools to be something special.
Great analysis. Thanks for sharing.

...and he's not even the biggest lineman on the team by appearances. Sheesh...

This guy has the potential to be really good but it will take a couple years. This is the guy who helps the oline to dominate in his sophomore/junior years. He is going to need to shed 20 to 25 pounds but more importantly elevate his cardio and endurance so he can play in this offense. If he has a work ethic, this is the kind of offense that will prepare him physically for the NFL. Dino's pace will force the young man to change, which will tremendously benefit the young man. I look forward to seeing this kid being a tank in 2 years.

This guy has the potential to be really good but it will take a couple years. This is the guy who helps the oline to dominate in his sophomore/junior years. He is going to need to shed 20 to 25 pounds but more importantly elevate his cardio and endurance so he can play in this offense. If he has a work ethic, this is the kind of offense that will prepare him physically for the NFL. Dino's pace will force the young man to change, which will tremendously benefit the young man. I look forward to seeing this kid being a tank in 2 years.
Agree

I agree with this analysis. What I don't understand is why 247 analysis says he projects better as a Guard. I realize his 350 lbs weight is more typical for a Gard but this guys highlights at Tackle tell me he is a tackle. Granted its a highlight film but I mean he looks really good on the edge out there by himself stone walling rushers. He can really move and has great feet and the size to not get sent backwards. If he can pass protect like that on the edge why wouldn't you keep him at Tackle. His film didn't really show much of him driving guys back in the run game and finishing them to the ground but you would think he would have the ability to do that. Seems like a bit of a waste to put him at Guard and not use those skills on the edge. Either way, he seems to have good positional versatility and I love this pick-up.