OGBJ20 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OGBJ20

He loves SU and is working hard in the classroom 3.2GPA and on the court/weightroom to be ready to go next season. This process started long ago.

OG - I am happy to provide some of my girth to help bulk BJ up a bit. :)

Looking forward to seeing your son show us his talents! He seems like a great kid, and we are thrilled he is an Orangemen!

As I was joking with BJ, stating that this was the first time in his basketball career that his GPA exceeded his pt. avg. Adding a little fuel to the fire!couchburn
They are going to come out with some fire next year! Thanks for posting, Bobby. I believe in this group and will cheer for them until the very end.
LGO.

Ya I would have preferred that he redshirt to but I can understand that BJ probably wanted a chance to play and felt he could make an impact. If Grant doesn't declare its going to be hard for him to see a lot of meaningful minutes next year with Grant, Chris M, and Roberson batting for time at the 3/4. Can he play the 2 at all? Him being a redshirt Frosh next year with 4 years of eligibility would have been ideal. Hope this doesnt turn into another Southerland situation where we regret not using that shirt year.

I said this at the beginning of the season as well when everyone said he would be playing. Thinking back it's probably better off he didn't redshirt. You have to remember when you RS you can't travel with the team so you can lose out on some valuable experience. Anyways BJ seems like a great kid with a strong work ethic. He has all the potential to be that dynamic scorer that we so desperately need. I am expecting a very productive 3 years.

One of the staffs biggest mistakes was not redshirting JS that frosh year. If he was on this team there no telling where we could have ended up.
Agreed. He has no business not redshirting on a team that already had forwards in Jackson, Joseph, and Johnson

He loves SU and is working hard in the classroom 3.2GPA and on the court/weightroom to be ready to go next season. This process started long ago.

Congratulations to you and BJ. I love his attitude based on those tweets and 3.2 is just fantastic as a freshman. That's better than I did and I didn't have basketball to worry about. (but you can probably tell from my posts that I'm no rocket scientist :) )

congrats on the gpa. that beats my first semester 2.5. first semester is the hardest.

Here's hoping BJ makes a Preston Shumpert-esque jump in the offseason. I just get such a Shump/Nichols/Dirty vibe from the kid.

Agreed. He has no business not redshirting on a team that already had forwards in Jackson, Joseph, and Johnson

The worst thing that ever happened was when Southerland went something like 5-5 from three in an exhibition game in 2009-2010.

The worst thing that ever happened was when Southerland went something like 5-5 from three in an exhibition game in 2009-2010.
7-7, if I recall correctly.

Not necessarily true. If coach doesn't play a guy, it counts as a redshirt. Maybe you tick some guys off by doing that and they end up transferring, but if they do that, they sit another year anyway.
My recollection is that Boeheim does not redshirt anyone who doesn't agree to it.

Here's hoping BJ makes a Preston Shumpert-esque jump in the offseason. I just get such a Shump/Nichols/Dirty vibe from the kid.

With you all the way here. More Shump than the other two, just because he can handle better.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what BJ brings to the table next season and onward. From what I read on here I expect good things from him and love his attitude. He reminds me of what's still good with college athletics and America in general. I better log off now and leave while feeling good.

I admire kids like this. They come to SU with a heck of a resume and sit...that ain't easy for any true competitor. So they see what they have to do to get time on the court and go after it instead of whining and playing the blame game...that is awesome!

Its not as simple as in hindsight declaring that this guy or that guy should have redshirted.

The developmental redshirt is not employed nearly as frequently in basketball as it is in football. The kid has to be on board with a five year college experience. How many kids have we used it on who have actually completed five years here? I can only think of Gorman. With the exception of Cooney I can't think of anyone that we've give a developmental redshirt who has actually become a significant contributor...(must be missing someone?).

The focus for kids today seems to be how quickly can I get out of school and move on to the professional ranks, not how many years can I extend my eligibility......especially coming in. Sure guys who have reached their junior or senior year may gain the perspective that they aren't leaving early, but most kids come in with a lot of confidence and may not be easily convinced that they won't be in the rotation.

Ultimately, JB can't make anyone redshirt. It is an election that must be made prior to the season, otherwise there has to be an injury involved. Remember we are recruiting these kids to come here and play. They all have other options. If JB starts telling kids in the top 35-100 range that we are going to give them a developmental redshirt year, I bet a lot of those kids stop coming and go somewhere else.

My recollection is that Boeheim does not redshirt anyone who doesn't agree to it.
That may be his personal policy, but it's not a rule. If it worked out that a guy didn't get on the court one year, it would count as a redshirt automatically. Whether he decided to stay an extra year would be between him and coaches. If JB's policy is to consult a player about a redshirt and hold him out only if he agrees, then that explains why he would play a guy in garbage time and burn the redshirt.

One of the staffs biggest mistakes was not redshirting JS that frosh year. If he was on this team there no telling where we could have ended up.
You don't get additional scholly's if you redshirt someone. If JS would've Redshirted then he would've taken another scholly from someone else unless he decided to pay his own way.

You don't get additional scholly's if you redshirt someone. If JS would've Redshirted then he would've taken another scholly from someone else unless he decided to pay his own way.

We haven't filled our allotment of scholarships in years, we had plenty of room.

Two points:
(1) If Southerland redshirts we likely don't make the FF last year. A mature steady JS making shots, was a MAJOR reason we had our run.
(2) I still say BJ should've got some more PT this year. Would it have hurt to have another sniper-in-waiting for games like Dayton? How about a set play where BJ at least gets a shot to see if he can hit a couple? If he misses, sit him down...what did we have to lose? We had one perimeter threat, and once he was shut down we had no more answers. :bang:

Two points:
(1) If Southerland redshirts we likely don't make the FF last year. A mature steady JS making shots, was a MAJOR reason we had our run.
(2) I still say BJ should've got some more PT this year. Would it have hurt to have another sniper-in-waiting for games like Dayton? How about a set play where BJ at least gets a shot to see if he can hit a couple? If he misses, sit him down...what did we have to lose? We had one perimeter threat, and once he was shut down we had no more answers. :bang:
How does JS redshirting his freshman year prevent him from playing last year?

"They're at the post!" ...

Here we go again, saddling the kid with comparisons and wishes/hopes which are quickly become unfair expectations. Does the litany of lamentations over Trevor Cooney elsewhere on this board (both extant and departed :eek:) not tell anybody anything? Why don't you all let the kid get out on the floor and actually play some serious minutes before slotting him into some arbitrary role?

Two points:

Your first point makes no sense, how would JS not be the same player if he had redshirted? The kid barely played at all.

OGB,

Great to hear about BJ's solid PT in the classroom to get a 3.2 GPA. That's great news. I love when the guys work hard in the classroom. Noone can ever take that away from them, no matter where then end up in life.

OGB! With patience comes opportunity, and with opportunity comes success! BJ will have his time.. I relate well to BJs situation! Best of luck! patience is rewarded because it's GONE nowadays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom