Oh look our two VC are in the top 100 | Syracusefan.com

Oh look our two VC are in the top 100

Got to think there is a real chance Q shoots up even more before he steps foot on campus.
Really decent chance they are both in the top 50 by the end of the year just because they will be playing for a powerhouse program that is always wildly successful. That makes you look good. Hopefully they actually get more college ready as well.

Couldn’t tell by reading this dumpster of a board lately…

Probably not the best to list a ratings update where both of the current verbals were downgraded to make your point. The same ratings update where Kyle Filipowski was upgraded to #5 nationally. Oh and both of the previously committed verbals are rated higher than the 2 current committed verbals.

Really decent chance they are both in the top 50 by the end of the year just because they will be playing for a powerhouse program that is always wildly successful. That makes you look good. Hopefully they actually get more college ready as well.
They'd have to start getting upgraded and not downgraded since both were downgraded in this ratings update. Taylor dropped 11 spots.

Probably not the best to list a ratings update where both of the current verbals were downgraded to make your point. The same ratings update where Kyle Filipowski was upgraded to #5 nationally. Oh and both of the previously committed verbals are rated higher than the 2 current committed verbals.
Are you trying to say JB and company thought KFlip will be a good player?

typical.
If typical is accurate, then it’s typical.

If you're going to pick a ratings update as the basis for a Rah Rah post, you should at least pick one where the recruits are upgraded. If you care about ratings, going from 56 to 65 and 85 to 86 shouldn't be cause for celebration lol.

Last edited:
Are you trying to say JB and company thought KFlip will be a good player?
I would hope players that the staff offer and pursue strongly are players they think will be good players.

If typical is accurate, then it’s typical.

If you're going to pick a ratings update as the basis for a Rah Rah post, you should at least pick one where the recruits are upgraded. If you care about ratings, going from 56 to 65 and 85 to 86 shouldn't be cause for celebration lol.
Regardless, we have two good recruits so far which is the start of a good class.

Let’s see how they close it out.

Regardless, we have two good recruits so far which is the start of a good class.

Let’s see how they close it out.
It's a good class but everyone here had their sights set on an all time great class. If this is just the start thats great. If this is it it's a big time letdown.

I would hope players that the staff offer and pursue strongly are players they think will be good players.
They usually are but I was confused why you are using an example of someone blowing up after Syracuse offered as a negative on the staff and/or the post you commented on.

Yeah, it's true, both Justin and Quadir fell a little bit in the Rivals update. Oh well. I still think JT is a top-50 player and Quadir is a top-75 prospect. They do well together at IMG, and up, up they go!

I can't help but to be excited about our prospects. We're in a real spot with Starling, Bunch, and Carey. Plugging that into 247 class calculator (I know, it's meaningless in any tangible sense), puts us 4th in the country behind those 3 southern schools that have blue as a color, you know the ones. Still, would be one of the best classes we've ever had. If you need a pick me up this morning go to 247 put those names into the class calculator and just look at them together on a list, you'll be pumped. It's completely feasible that we are "back" in a very real way this time next year.

I like our recruits, but I don’t think it makes a lot of sense to crow about getting a 60 and an 80 when that’s what’s consistent with us being a middling ACC team.

“Top 100” is our new baseline?
I hear what you are saying, but you can compete with any team with a roster full of top 100 players. So long as they make it to senior year and you have good coaching.

I like our recruits, but I don’t think it makes a lot of sense to crow about getting a 60 and an 80 when that’s what’s consistent with us being a middling ACC team.

“Top 100” is our new baseline?

Last year we had one guy in the top 100(89) and everyone flipped out that he transferred.

And the National Champs had zero guys in the top 60.

Last year we had one guy in the top 100(89) and everyone flipped out that he transferred.

And the National Champs had zero guys in the top 60.
That's great, but with our team, if we want to improve our chances at advancing to the top of the league, 'lottery tickets' like Kadary aren't the way. And we're not Gonzaga. Few accomplishes amazing things without high-ranked HS talent. They'd be great in any conference, but they're not in the ACC. I can't even name another team in their conference. Or their conference... : (

The point is, if we want to maximize our chances—the odds—of success in our context, we have to do better in getting more elite talent.

We have had our standards decline as far as what we (can) expect to get in terms of recruits over the past 15 years. That's commensurate with our league and national ranking declines. And we have a tendency to react by blasting the ratings—it's a conspiracy!... to re-inflate our own recruits numbers—'he played in Africa/Europe/Canada, so no one could see him!... to rationalize not even trying for top 20s because we weren't going to 'drop bags' and then cherrypick outliers (good players who were 50+) to justify the next 50+ player.

We'll get 50s to 80s kids and forum people say "we'll be just fine." And then we'll finish 7th in the conference and "just fine" is our new normal... And every few years, we'll have a nice tournament run, and some people will crow about that... meanwhile, the teams with the more elite talent are continuing to recruit the elite talent because they are nationally ranked, have better seasons, are predicted to do better in the season and the tournament, and have more 'impressive on paper' talent to compete against in practices. Those things are resumé fillers when recruits are assessing how attractive your program is. We're now competing with Rutgers and a greatly diminished UConn, and Auburn(?!) and a bunch of other programs that are also not elite. That's not "fine" unless "fine" = "average."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom