Oh oh...Laz Sims | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oh oh...Laz Sims

No, it's about him. He's an awful guy. You know how some people are totally unqualified for what they do but they're kind of sheepish and grateful so they're nice about it? He's totally unqualified, he knows it, and he knows that everyone knows it, so he's got a chip on his shoulder. He's greedy and got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and for some reason the powers that be aren't sweeping this under the rug as they've done with prominent people in the past. That aspect surprises me.

But there are a lot of hard-working people in the parks department who'll be relieved to get a new boss who's not dumber than they are.
Wow. So like the Dunning Kruger effect?

Wow. So like the Dunning Kruger effect?

I wonder. As I understand Dunning Kruger, it describes low-talent people who don't have the self-awareness to recognize that. I could be way off, but my sense of Sims is that he's pretty self-aware. He just strikes me as surly and entitled. And he's not someone who has any interest in learning on the job. One of his subordinates (who's much more educated, talented, and hard-working) told me a couple months ago: "We have a commissioner who doesn't believe in planning." And that jibes completely with what I've witnessed.

On the bright side, the new administration saw this coming and brought in a skilled deputy commissioner to run the department. It's sad about Sims, though...Z was one of my all-time favorite players. But, man, what a jerk.

I'm always amazed by how people will risk their jobs, reputation and potentially their freedom over tiny amounts of money. I can't envision myself ever stealing or embezzling money, but if I did you can expect an international manhunt. I'm not going to prison over $50K!

I'm always amazed by how people will risk their jobs, reputation and potentially their freedom over tiny amounts of money. I can't envision myself ever stealing or embezzling money, but if I did you can expect an international manhunt. I'm not going to prison over $50K!

Follow up article in the paper said it was $5,400.

I find this sad. I knew Z slightly 10 years ago when he was on the staff at SU. He was in the process of marrying the mother of his children (his long time girl friend), and he seemed committed to getting his life moving in the right direction. I've had zero contact with him since he left the SU staff, but I'm sad to read that his life apparently has not gone well.

Last edited:
Community service should've been a must here. He should be digging holes for trees in city parks and picking up litter until he can't feel his arms. It'd be the first time he directed some honest effort toward the city's people and assets.

Not looking to kick dirt in the guy's face, but it's disappointing to hear about his 'service' and good reputation. And it'll be more disappointing when one of his friends in high places sets him up with another job where he can take advantage of the public's trust.

The saddest part of this is that he couldn't even speak for himself in court and apologize in his own voice.
Wonder who wrote "his" statement?

D47F141D-4AAE-414F-A1C5-265F2E4EAD9C.jpeg

Hard times and $200 Gucci ties...

People are only charged for the $ amount the prosecution can easily prove. Rarely are people charged for the total amount missing from embezzlements etc. Many times the amount, thus the charge becomes a negotiating point. Just noting that I’m not speculating on Z Sim’s situation specifically but a number of other fraud, embezzlement cases I am aware of.

All of his friends of Facebook were so certain he was innocent...

All of his friends of Facebook were so certain he was innocent...

Including Ricky Brown, who still sits on the city's industrial development agency despite his inappropriate comments on Facebook...

This whole situation is so disappointing.

Glad to see they are holding him accountable. Despise seeing people like this just given jobs around the area because of their name or some sports achievement from 20 years ago despite having 0 qualifications.
What wualifqualific do you need to be parks commissioner, really.

In NYC, the only qualification apparently has been to be a friend of the mayor. This list is almost entirely mayoral friends:

City Parks Department Commissioners, 1934 to Present*
January 18, 1934 to May 23, 1960 (26 years, 4 months): Robert Moses (Mayors LaGuardia, O'Dwyer, Impellitteri, and Wagner)

May 24, 1960 to January 15, 1966 (5 years, 8 months): Newbold Morris (Mayor Wagner)

January 16, 1966 to March 15, 1967 (1 year, 3 months): Thomas P.F. Hoving (Mayor Lindsay)

March 16, 1967 to December 31, 1972 (5 years, 9 months): August Heckscher (Mayor Lindsay)

January 1, 1973 to December 31, 1973 (1 year): Richard M. Clurman (Mayor Lindsay)

January 1, 1974 to September 22, 1975 (1 year, 9 months): Edwin L. Weisl, Jr. (Mayor Beame)

September 23, 1975 to December 28, 1975 (3 months): Alexander Wirin (Mayor Beame)

January 1, 1976 to June 30, 1977 (1 year, 6 months): Martin Lang (Mayor Beame)

July 2, 1977 to January 20, 1978 (6 months): Joseph P. Davidson (Mayor Beame)

January 23, 1978 to April 1, 1983 (5 years, 3 months): Gordon J. Davis (Mayor Koch)

April 2, 1983 to February 4, 1990 (6 years, 10 months): Henry J. Stern (Mayor Koch)

February 5, 1990 to December 31, 1993 (3 years, 11 months): Elisabeth F. (Betsy) Gotbaum (Mayor Dinkins)

January 1, 1994 to February 3, 2002 (8 years, 1 month): Henry J. Stern (Mayor Giuliani)

February 4, 2002 to August 29, 2012 (10 years, 6 months) Adrian Benepe (Mayor Bloomberg)

August 30, 2012 to December 31, 2013 (1 year, 4 months): Veronica M. White (Mayor Bloomberg)

In NYC, the only qualification apparently has been to be a friend of the mayor. This list is almost entirely mayoral friends:

City Parks Department Commissioners, 1934 to Present*
January 18, 1934 to May 23, 1960 (26 years, 4 months): Robert Moses (Mayors LaGuardia, O'Dwyer, Impellitteri, and Wagner)

May 24, 1960 to January 15, 1966 (5 years, 8 months): Newbold Morris (Mayor Wagner)

January 16, 1966 to March 15, 1967 (1 year, 3 months): Thomas P. . Hoving (Mayor Lindsay)

March 16, 1967 to December 31, 1972 (5 years, 9 months): August Heckscher (Mayor Lindsay)

January 1, 1973 to December 31, 1973 (1 year): Richard M. Clurman (Mayor Lindsay)

January 1, 1974 to September 22, 1975 (1 year, 9 months): Edwin L. Weisl, Jr. (Mayor Beame)

September 23, 1975 to December 28, 1975 (3 months): Alexander Wirin (Mayor Beame)

January 1, 1976 to June 30, 1977 (1 year, 6 months): Martin Lang (Mayor Beame)

July 2, 1977 to January 20, 1978 (6 months): Joseph P. Davidson (Mayor Beame)

January 23, 1978 to April 1, 1983 (5 years, 3 months): Gordon J. Davis (Mayor Koch)

April 2, 1983 to February 4, 1990 (6 years, 10 months): Henry J. Stern (Mayor Koch)

February 5, 1990 to December 31, 1993 (3 years, 11 months): Elisabeth . (Betsy) Gotbaum (Mayor Dinkins)

January 1, 1994 to February 3, 2002 (8 years, 1 month): Henry J. Stern (Mayor Giuliani)

February 4, 2002 to August 29, 2012 (10 years, 6 months) Adrian Benepe (Mayor Bloomberg)

August 30, 2012 to December 31, 2013 (1 year, 4 months): Veronica M. White (Mayor Bloomberg)

In too many instances in too many cities that's sadly true. But I don't think it's entirely fair here.

Benepe was a two-decade pro with the parks department and the New York Botanical Garden before his appointment. Henry Stern's a Harvard law grad who had experience in the courts and with a number of city agencies (I think he was commissioner of at least one other department before Koch was elected). Heckscher's another Harvard public administration (pre- 'Kennedy School,' though he did head a department in the Kennedy administration) grad with a laundry list of parks-relevant government experience prior to being commissioner. Moses, unpopular as he is now, had an impeccable academic background (Columbia polisci PhD) and spent a good deal of time on the ground as a planner prior to his enormous power consolidation. Ironically, he made his name as an anti-patronage government reformer; if anyone wants a good read, Robert Caro's bio is well worth the time.

Though I digress: of late, Syracuse's commissioner job is certainly a political favor, no more, no less. The current deputy, however, is a real professional with a long background of technical experience. I hope she gets the top job, and soon.

In too many instances in too many cities that's sadly true. But I don't think it's entirely fair here.

Benepe was a two-decade pro with the parks department and the New York Botanical Garden before his appointment. Henry Stern's a Harvard law grad who had experience in the courts and with a number of city agencies (I think he was commissioner of at least one other department before Koch was elected). Heckscher's another Harvard public administration (pre- 'Kennedy School,' though he did head a department in the Kennedy administration) grad with a laundry list of parks-relevant government experience prior to being commissioner. Moses, unpopular as he is now, had an impeccable academic background (Columbia polisci PhD) and spent a good deal of time on the ground as a planner prior to his enormous power consolidation. Ironically, he made his name as an anti-patronage government reformer; if anyone wants a good read, Robert Caro's bio is well worth the time.

Though I digress: of late, Syracuse's commissioner job is certainly a political favor, no more, no less. The current deputy, however, is a real professional with a long background of technical experience. I hope she gets the top job, and soon.

What you say is all true ... however, they were all friends of the Mayor (especially all of Lindsay's appointments). Henry Stern is actually a friend of mine ... but he was extremely close to Koch and that is why he was appointed after he was no longer on the City Council. He turned out to be a terrific parks commissioner (in great part because he loves the city and is creative) but he had no previous parks experience before Koch named him to the job.

I was not saying any of these people was unqualified. I was just noting their personal connections to the mayor who appointed them. It's kind of like being named U.S. ambassador to Paris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom