Oh well. Next... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oh well. Next...

Ummm, did you not see the winking emoticon? It was a joke. A joke because I'm a New England Patriots fan. See, those two franchises compete in the same division of the National Football League. That division is the American Football Conference, East. Therefore the Bills doing poorly would likely enable my favorite team, the aforementioned Patriots, to perform better.

Are you in on it, now?

Very subtle ... too subtle for me.

As a DC resident, the AFC --- other than NE --- is so far off the local radar that I forgot Buffalo even had a team. Are OJ and Joe DeLamaleire (sp?) still playing for the Bills? Does Marrone replace Marv Levy?

Are there any NFL players worthy of note besides RGIII?

I admit it. I'm pissed. Bad timing and bad form on his part. I hope he fails.

Lets retain as many coaches as possible.

I'm pissed, too. Bills...

Of all the jobs to take...

Hope he enjoys the three years he spends there before he's canned.

I admit it. I'm pissed. Bad timing and bad form on his part. I hope he fails.

Lets retain as many coaches as possible.

As much as I have posted stuff abount the realities of capitalism, my reaction this morning is as a fan. I'm disappointed.

And it's almost as if this was coming all year, from shutting down the boosters for a recruiting function in February to typically zero access in February. Not knowing any full stories, his exuberance in 2009 was matched by a tremendous amount of naivete as well.

I just sincerely hope he learns to manage the realities of high-pressure head coaching better over the next four years than the previous four for his own sake. He deserves it; he put SU football in much better position in 2013 than it was when he came aboard.

Good luck, Coach Marrone. Sort of.

It was never about his paycheck.

Please. Stop. You're killing me. Millions more and its not about the money?

It's always about the money ... even when it appears not to be. (sometimes the initial money is discounted because of the risk)

It was never about his paycheck.

I know that. Just hard to be concerned about Marrone's feelings when does a job that pays him a million plus a year.

I agree about your first sentiment. The NFL being a goal doesn't bother me.

It's the timing of this... And Doug isn't just any coach moving up the ranks... HE set a different expectation. Not me. So to move on to the NFL is one thing, but to handle it so poorly and to do it at a time when his school is so vulnerable simply makes me lose all respect for him.

People on the board will blame me for being naive and believing a football coach. And they're right. But once he's proven I should have never believed a word out of his mouth... Why exactly should I wish him the best and offer him my respect for what he DID accomplish here in his limited time.

I'm kind of in between. On one hand, NFL jobs are like gold, if you can get hired for one, you have to take it. Plus I think that recruiting at a school like SU is such a grind (minimal local talent to pull from) that it makes the NFL an even more attractive option. If Marrone just didn't realize to that extent how hard it was, then I can't fault him.

But then I read these posts about him just being upset about the way the program is run from the administration, and that it pushed him to the NFL when he could have already been there. That makes me lean toward him being a quitter who's a little bit full of . But at least that puts him in good company with most football coaches.

I still think more the former, and I'm sure I'll never know the true story, at least that I'd believe. As a Bills fan, I wish him the best of luck. Time to move on.

That is beyond lame.

Do you really think that a commitment to the job is a one way street? If he was miserable but given the resources he needed, my guess he's still here, but why put up with crap, not get what you need and stay if the big leagues want you?

That's not what he signed up for, and not what he committed to.

I think he had visions of SU in the 80s, then saw 44s gone, Grimaldi's gone, no Rapp-mobiles and the service at Faegans was subpar.

It's never good timing when a college coach takes an NFL job.

If hoping "Marrone's NFL tenure is a miserable failure" isn't due to "anger, frustration or hurt feelings" which you claim to be free from, than what is your motivation for hoping the guy fails?

Marrone left the program much better off than when he arrived. In the process of doing this he established himself as someone who would put a plan in place and execute it. His teams got steadily better and he won a few games based on creative schemes (e.g. blitzing the shxt out of Rutgers) That's what I think Buffalo saw in Marrone and not just the W/L record.

Getting better and better gigs is what coaching is all about. It's usually "up" or "out". That is the nature of the game. Mac left for the pros. P was fired. Maloney was fired and ended up selling baseball tickets. Ben was put out to pasture. He may have had some NFL offers.
This is an example of how poor your reading comprehension skills are on here.

I'll give Townie a pass, where he lives there is only one NFL team and only two players that exist. Buffalo is like an illusion.

t up in the

You are right. I missed what you clearly said in the last paragraph.

I apologize.

I was reacting to the orgy of entitlement that has been going on here from a lot of posters. I shot at one of the few that was innocent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom