OITNF Question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OITNF Question

Yards per play stat is horrifying. We aren't wearing any defenses down except our own, and this fact has proven itself out in the last 2 seasons.

The last 2 games of 2016 and the last 2.5 games of 2017 Syracuse had no defense. I don't buy that it was all due to injuries. Not in the least

Babers has to figure out how to get his team through an entire season. Until then, we have 10 games to win 6.

we wore lots of defenses down early in the season. Not getting through a season most certainly has to do with injuries but probably more importantly depth. Everybody has injuries and is banged up but we haven't had the depth to back up the injuries. The drop off between #1 and #2 or #3 is huge. We need better top to bottom depth so that when we plug in #2 the difference isn't noticeable.

If you're really not buying the injury thing who were our defensive ends the last couple of games of the season?

i dont think pace of play has really worn our D out.. has out TOP changed all that much? did our 3 and outs go down? fix the run game the rest will take care of itself.
I agree that if we fix the run game it will hopefully solve these problems

we wore lots of defenses down early in the season. Not getting through a season most certainly has to do with injuries but probably more importantly depth. Everybody has injuries and is banged up but we haven't had the depth to back up the injuries. The drop off between #1 and #2 or #3 is huge. We need better top to bottom depth so that when we plug in #2 the difference isn't noticeable.

If you're really not buying the injury thing who were our defensive ends the last couple of games of the season?

You mean having a backup and undersized LB start at DE isn't an effective way to win ACC games? Crazy talk Phat! :)

One major reason I believe that the final 2 game swoons are more related to stamina than a few injuries on defense is the fact that the defense is getting run over, and I do mean run over. They are not even competitive. If they were competitive but lost I would buy the injury argument.

The other reason I fully believe this is a stamina thing is that in 2017 it became a pattern. 2016 it happened once. It happens in 2017, it's a pattern

And another reason I believe this is stamina and not solely an injury issue is that the defense was playing lights out on 3rd down most of last season. And then the team went from very, very good, to suddenly annihilated. That kind of drop off doesn't happen because of 3 or 4 injuries. Everyone is banged up at that point in the season, including the other team

it happens when all your LBs are hurt at the same time
Wasn't Franklin and Bennett on the field when they played Louisville? Am I wrong here? Or are you just talking hurt, not injured?

At first I thought this thread was going to be about the newness wearing off. When do we become OIF? I hope to see the day we progress to OIFAF. LOL

Anyways, I think the lack of a running game has slowed us down tremendously. If you run the ball up the middle on first down and get 7-9 yards, you want to get set as quick as possible and do it again. Pretty good chance you'll get the first down and if you don't, you get a new play in for 3rd and short.

Unfortunately, running plays over 6 yards on first down have been non-existent. Hopefully that improves this year. #OIFAF

That's actually the one thing I dislike about this offense. I think that once the players have come to the line, it should be in their hands. Having said that, if it helps us win, I'll take it.

I agree, and actually thought that was the objective of this offensive approach. There is no play book per say, its a get to the line and read the defensive approach and positioning and run plays that counter. Also, the tempo and getting to the line quickly is supposed to limit substituting, which is a huge advantage on sustained drives.

One major reason I believe that the final 2 game swoons are more related to stamina than a few injuries on defense is the fact that the defense is getting run over, and I do mean run over. They are not even competitive. If they were competitive but lost I would buy the injury argument.

The other reason I fully believe this is a stamina thing is that in 2017 it became a pattern. 2016 it happened once. It happens in 2017, it's a pattern

And another reason I believe this is stamina and not solely an injury issue is that the defense was playing lights out on 3rd down most of last season. And then the team went from very, very good, to suddenly annihilated. That kind of drop off doesn't happen because of 3 or 4 injuries. Everyone is banged up at that point in the season, including the other team

This isn’t wrong. But it’s not right either, IMO.

And what we are trying to do isn’t a unicorn. There are other teams running this system, without late season defensive swoons.

What the defense needs isn’t a slower pace. It’s more *effeciency* - the ability to maintain drives and score or score on a big play. When Dungey plays our effeciency isn’t what it needs to be - but it’s much closer. When he’s out, offensive effeciency falls off a cliff and the defense is on the field too much. Any deficiencies are multiplied by the extra possessions.

The defense fell apart when Cordy and Martin were out as S, and our corner was hurt. DE was unable to put pressure on the QB late in the season due to injury. Etc.

Depth issues and fatigue are two sides of the same coin - and the system on O does contribute to that. But I think it’s pretty obvious that when we are effecient on O (esp at QB) we are a much better team on D.

Final thought: The system is built to play with a lead. Not a lot of that with Mahoney and Rex playing at QB last year.

Didn’t someone post the stats that our offensive snaps are up something like 50% compared to the DM/SS era but our Defensive snaps are close to even compared to the DM/SS

This isn’t wrong. But it’s not right either, IMO.

And what we are trying to do isn’t a unicorn. There are other teams running this system, without late season defensive swoons.

What the defense needs isn’t a slower pace. It’s more *effeciency* - the ability to maintain drives and score or score on a big play. When Dungey plays our effeciency isn’t what it needs to be - but it’s much closer. When he’s out, offensive effeciency falls off a cliff and the defense is on the field too much. Any deficiencies are multiplied by the extra possessions.

The defense fell apart when Cordy and Martin were out as S, and our corner was hurt. DE was unable to put pressure on the QB late in the season due to injury. Etc.

Depth issues and fatigue are two sides of the same coin - and the system on O does contribute to that. But I think it’s pretty obvious that when we are effecient on O (esp at QB) we are a much better team on D.

Final thought: The system is built to play with a lead. Not a lot of that with Mahoney and Rex playing at QB last year.
It is a mix of both for sure. But no one has seemed to want acknowledge that the team is suddenly fatigued, and only attributes the fall off to injuries. But injuries definitely will contribute and compound the issue

Yep, depth, better running game, players knowing where to be/execution, and a darn good defense will make this offense look a heck of a lot better. The young WR's have to figure this out quicker than before due to losing Ish and Erv and the experienced ones HAVE to step up. I agree...getting to the line and reading the D and figuring it out in a nanosecond would be fantastic.

Add some D turnovers too, SU is due for a good year doing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom