OK all you fund raisers out there | Syracusefan.com

OK all you fund raisers out there

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Let's hear your pitch for $$$ to get our facilities up to snuff as we enter the ACC

Start with your appeal to our recently departed head coach Doug Marrone, who is reportedly earning nearly $3 million in salary alone per year over the next 4 years plus incentives & bonuses.

Keep in mind that the opportunity he had to play college football was given to him by Syracuse University and his first head coaching job was too. All of this help position him to earn those big bucks.

I personally dont think that Marrone will be "targeted" for awhile. When he is, I also doubt they will earmark it for facilities. I would guess scholarships or coaching endowments.

DG might as well play the mega millions and hope

Personally, I would gun for Brandon and work on a modest organizational or key executive donation that would bring in a little bit of money - $1 million paid out over five years - and then ask Marrone what he personally wants to contribute on top of that.

First off, I'd like to know what Palumb and Gedney are doing with their time. They're SU AD development folks after all. I suppose Palumb helped with endowing the lax scholarships and the new locker room and lounge. What about Gedney? Is he here to do color on the radio or raise money for facilities? Is he part of the rumored Mac players vs. other era players problem? Why not reach out to Konrad? He sounds like he's really interested in the fate of the program and possibly has some money to throw around. Would he be sending letters to the editor if the SU AD was paying attention to him? Nobody's saying that you need to do what he says but give him a hearing and maybe he'll return the favor. And can someone explain to me what Floyd Little and Herman Frazier do on a daily basis?

Let's hear your pitch for $$$ to get our facilities up to snuff as we enter the ACC

Start with your appeal to our recently departed head coach Doug Marrone, who is reportedly earning nearly $3 million in salary alone per year over the next 4 years plus incentives & bonuses.

Keep in mind that the opportunity he had to play college football was given to him by Syracuse University and his first head coaching job was too. All of this help position him to earn those big bucks.
FYI, Doug and his wife both appear on the benefactor list for SU for last year. I believe they have donated to SU consistently at least since DM was named the HC here.

Link

First any capital campagin needs the whole University behind it, not just SUA. SU just finsished an endowment campaign, SU should now start a captail campaign for Athletics. Should be $250 Mil with hopefully a large donation to start it off. There should be a comprehensive plan, that will be built in stages, with a formal marketing plan that is made public and pushed. I want to see drawings, renderings 3d models, comapratives with other university and what we have now. I would leverage some of our corporate partners in some of our schools that hire our students. There has to be some big companies out of the whitman school, newhouse, maxwell, engineering that can donate some cash. Chase, ESPN, Goldman Sachs, credit suise, M&T Bank, SRC, etc.

Second i would blow up the whole SUA campaign office. Hire a consultant who can improve the donation procedure and experience. Hire some people who are professionals and have experience with this. No SU Athletic alumni. Just because they have a popular name doesnt mean they can fundraise worth a . There should always be SU ambassadors on call for various fundraising events etc.

Third Get the community more engaged with other areas of SU sports. Have the softball team do clinics at Alliance Bank Stadium etc. If the community has a more emotional tie to the university then its more likely they will donate and support the events. A lot of people resent the University locally because they dont pay property taxes and feel they are takinng advantage of the public. Drop another $500K out of the general fund to support the County and City, Have a Fire vs Police Bball game before an SU hoops game with Mac and Hop coaching the teams.

These are just my crazy ideas and i might be off base, but the BS is flowing through my typing fingers so i went with it.

FYI, Doug and his wife both appear on the benefactor list for SU for last year. I believe they have donated to SU consistently at least since DM was named the HC here.

Link

Good link. Looking it over, no Konrad on the list. His company isn't there either. Gronkowski's fitness store business is listed but not Gronkowski himself. Fuccillo is there but it doesn't look like he's a major donor. Bob Burton is there as a "visionary" donor, so he's still a major contributor. McNabb is also listed as a visionary donor. No Troy Nunes.

Looks like those are unrestricted funds, not necessarily athletic gifts. They could be used for a new toilet in a residence hall if they wanted

Not really. Read the description. It's a list of all donors to the university who gave a gift of $1000 or more last year, whether to unrestricted funds or linked to a particular fundraising goal.

One of the serious problems regarding potential givers to SU Athletics: Many potential substantial givers won letters in sports that are no longer intercollegiate sports at SU. Swimmers, wrestlers, golfers, gymnasts, baseball players, even boxers. We don't do those things any more. It has been a serious disconnect for many potential donors. Thank you, Title IX.

One of the serious problems regarding potential givers to SU Athletics: Many potential substantial givers won letters in sports that are no longer intercollegiate sports at SU. Swimmers, wrestlers, golfers, gymnasts, baseball players, even boxers. We don't do those things any more. It has been a serious disconnect for many potential donors. Thank you, Title IX.
Good post CTO, forgot about that. Wonder if we will add any sports with the ACC funds.

We need to convert them into die hard football fans.

When the Goldstein Student Center on South Campus got rid of Snapple in 1994, I still bought my chicken sandwiches there. I wasn't happy, but I did it. Greater good.

Good post CTO, forgot about that. Wonder if we will add any sports with the ACC funds.

Perhaps bad to say, but I hope not. Would rather invest and provide support in the current programs to maintain or enhance strong performance.

First any capital campagin needs the whole University behind it, not just SUA. SU just finsished an endowment campaign, SU should now start a captail campaign for Athletics. Should be $250 Mil with hopefully a large donation to start it off. There should be a comprehensive plan, that will be built in stages, with a formal marketing plan that is made public and pushed. I want to see drawings, renderings 3d models, comapratives with other university and what we have now. I would leverage some of our corporate partners in some of our schools that hire our students. There has to be some big companies out of the whitman school, newhouse, maxwell, engineering that can donate some cash. Chase, ESPN, Goldman Sachs, credit suise, M&T Bank, SRC, etc.

Second i would blow up the whole SUA campaign office. Hire a consultant who can improve the donation procedure and experience. Hire some people who are professionals and have experience with this. No SU Athletic alumni. Just because they have a popular name doesnt mean they can fundraise worth a ****. There should always be SU ambassadors on call for various fundraising events etc.

Third Get the community more engaged with other areas of SU sports. Have the softball team do clinics at Alliance Bank Stadium etc. If the community has a more emotional tie to the university then its more likely they will donate and support the events. A lot of people resent the University locally because they dont pay property taxes and feel they are takinng advantage of the public. Drop another $500K out of the general fund to support the County and City, Have a Fire vs Police Bball game before an SU hoops game with Mac and Hop coaching the teams.

These are just my crazy ideas and i might be off base, but the BS is flowing through my typing fingers so i went with it.

SRC spends their fundraising dollars on programmatic money (forget the SRC Arena at OCC; that wasn't named for any capital gifts from SRC). Additionally, companies that are most likely to donate to a capital campaign at SU would either be companies that are headquartered locally or have a large local presence. SRC fits the bill, but they aren't donating to athletics. What about Carrol's Restaurant Corp?? We could stick it to Louisville's KFC Yum! Center and build the Burger King Have it Your Way Indoor Practice Facility :cool:

Perhaps bad to say, but I hope not. Would rather invest and provide support in the current programs to maintain or enhance strong performance.

Agree, at least not right away. Didn't Maryland's President say right away on Big 10 day that they would reinstate the programs they cut (under a lot of pressure I assume to say it). Kind of cracked me up, because I thought A) Unless you cut a better deal than Nebraska, you aren't getting equal money the first year, and B) You have a lot of bills to pay first.

They shouldn't apply the Boeheim model to facilities improvement for football.

Unfair to the FBHC, whoever it is, given the state of the program and the scale of the job (the sports aren't comparable), to be in responsible for shaking the trees to get facilites funding.

And even with JAB pushing it the Melo center is still short a couple of million.

where is the new ACC money going?

Dwight Freeney made $19 million this year. Where is his name on this list? Has anyone been in touch with him, or directly asked him.

In fundraising, you need to be direct. If people want to give, they will give. Especially if they feel it can help their alma mater, and if they have the means.

You can't be pushy, but you need to be direct. I'm not sure having former athletes with no background in fundraising is the answer. (This without knowing anything about the day-to-day operations of Gedney, etc.).

Dwight Freeney made $19 million this year. Where is his name on this list? Has anyone been in touch with him, or directly asked him.

In fundraising, you need to be direct. If people want to give, they will give. Especially if they feel it can help their alma mater, and if they have the means.

You can't be pushy, but you need to be direct. I'm not sure having former athletes with no background in fundraising is the answer. (This without knowing anything about the day-to-day operations of Gedney, etc.).
Freeney should be the donor that gets the medical/rehab overhaul started. The heck with an indoor facility for the moment, this would be a smaller scale project with a HUGE immediate boost to the image of the facilities. Manley is fine for now. The med stuff looks just disgusting from what I have seen.

Anyone know how much it would cost to do this part right?

Second i would blow up the whole SUA campaign office. Hire a consultant who can improve the donation procedure and experience. Hire some people who are professionals and have experience with this. No SU Athletic alumni. Just because they have a popular name doesnt mean they can fundraise worth a ****. There should always be SU ambassadors on call for various fundraising events etc.

this sounds so wonderful. even if this can't work, which i don't know why it couldn't at least it's an IDEA. We need to do something creative you just can't expect people to fork over money after the athletic dept let the state of this football program fall to the depths that it did. oh don't worry about going 1-11, here is $2million i like to watch losing seasons where you don't compete. give me a break this program needed a kick start before people are going to start investing their hard earned money. especially people with money, why the hell are they going to throw money at a losing program when you can see nothing is being done. Get the program off the ground and then people will start to support once it's winning again. Sounds so simple doesn't it. Whatever you do it has to be creative where the community, and alums can get behind it.

but first off...FIRE PALUMB AND GEDNEY IMMEDIATELY!! They have obviously don't absolutely NOTHING. They are easily the worst 2 people at their job in the country. 180k since August hahahaha, are you kidding. Gedney is too worried about his television career, get these 2 out of here NOW.

Freeney should be the donor that gets the medical/rehab overhaul started. The heck with an indoor facility for the moment, this would be a smaller scale project with a HUGE immediate boost to the image of the facilities. Manley is fine for now. The med stuff looks just disgusting from what I have seen.

Anyone know how much it would cost to do this part right?

screw donor money, the medical/rehab facility should be spent on the University's dime. it's a crime it hasn't. those kids are out their risking a lifetime worth of injuries so the school can make money. they deserve the best treatment possibly, and shows how sad it is that this is still an issue.

Maybe a way to get those folks to donate is to include plans for a museum/archive space for those defunct sports programs. At least then, they feel like they will be immortalized in some way by their donation.

screw donor money, the medical/rehab facility should be spent on the University's dime. it's a crime it hasn't. those kids are out their risking a lifetime worth of injuries so the school can make money. they deserve the best treatment possibly, and shows how sad it is that this is still an issue.
A large chunk of the "University's dime" comes from donors.