OK, minutes instead of lineup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OK, minutes instead of lineup

Hey Brooky, Rob from rivals here. I think this is pretty dead on accurate. The only tweaking I might do is to go with Lydon getting a few more minutes at SF from White and at C in certain situations against certain teams to take advantage of mismatches. I don't see Lydon getting less than 34 or 35 minutes a game.

Good to see you over here, Rob! I wanted to give Lydon some more SF minutes too, but I think that would push White to more SG minutes which I was hesitant to do. I could see games with matchups that allow for Lydon at Center but I also see games where he won't have to play any Center. Hopefully, we'll get enough production from Roberson and Coleman, that Lydon will only have to play there when we're really trying to capitalize on a mismatch; rather than playing there out of necessity to balance the scoring.

It sounds like Boeheim isn't even sure how he's going to use everybody yet haha. Good problem to have.

Good to see you over here, Rob! I wanted to give Lydon some more SF minutes too, but I think that would push White to more SG minutes which I was hesitant to do. I could see games with matchups that allow for Lydon at Center but I also see games where he won't have to play any Center. Hopefully, we'll get enough production from Roberson and Coleman, that Lydon will only have to play there when we're really trying to capitalize on a mismatch; rather than playing there out of necessity to balance the scoring.

It sounds like Boeheim isn't even sure how he's going to use everybody yet haha. Good problem to have.
Exactly, very good problem to have! And I agree, Lydon I don't think (or hope) will play any minutes at C out of necessity, except maybe when extreme foul trouble issues arise, and I think most games he will not play a single minute at C, but I think there will be games where he'll play a bunch of minutes there to take advantage of a mismatch or to get another shooter/scorer on the court, which will average out to several minutes a game. 5 maybe? after all, Lydon will likely be our best player and Boeheim I'm guessing will try to find a way to keep him on the floor as long as he can. And the scoring potential of putting Gillon, Battle, White, Roberson, and Lydon out on the court at the same time is pretty exciting. I've even sensed in some interviews of Boeheim he's been almost giddy with excitement about the depth and versatility of this team - well, as close to giddy as he gets, anyway!

Once acc play starts:
Gillon - 25
Howard - 23
Battle - 28
White - 30
Lydon - 32
Roberson - 26
Coleman -14
Chukwu - 22

But some of Battles mins could easily go to Gillon/Howard and some of Robeys could easily go to Lydon/White. Some of Chukwus could easily go to DC...

Based on what im hearing from DF and what RB says about JB, need to slightly revise my minutes:
Gillon - 22
Howard - 26
Battle - 28
White - 30
Lydon - 32
Roberson - 26
Coleman -14
Chukwu - 22

No clue what the starting lineup will be, but if Howard is as good as is being speculated on this forum, SU is going to be real tough...

Based on what im hearing from DF and what RB says about JB, need to slightly revise my minutes:
Gillon - 22
Howard - 26
Battle - 28
White - 30
Lydon - 32
Roberson - 26
Coleman -14
Chukwu - 22

No clue what the starting lineup will be, but if Howard is as good as is being speculated on this forum, SU is going to be real tough...

I just don't see Howard getting more minutes than Roberson and 2 less than Battle.

I like the kid, think he'll be solid the his Jr. and Sr. years, but between BJ Johnson and him himself, I don't think I've ever seen such an unwarranted hype machine with such steam. It's mind boggling.

I dont see a hype machine, i am predicting him tied for 4th most mins, so basically all i am saying is i am predicting him to be good enough to be in the equivalent of the starting 5. But this year at SU, yeah that could be pretty good!

There are several ex of SU players recently that have taken a big soph leap- Fab, Dion, MCW, etc . Lets hope FH, TL, andor PC can join that group!

Last edited:
I just don't see Howard getting more minutes than Roberson and 2 less than Battle.

I like the kid, think he'll be solid the his Jr. and Sr. years, but between BJ Johnson and him himself, I don't think I've ever seen such an unwarranted hype machine with such steam. It's mind boggling.
apples & oranges. Roberson is competing with 2 other very good forwards, one of whom is probably going to lead the team in minutes (Lydon). Howard is one of only 2 true point guards, a position in which one guy often gets the bulk of minutes. If one of Howard or Gillon separates himself from the other on both ends of the court, then that guy could easily end up playing 30+ mpg

I dont see a hype machine, i am predicting him tied for 4th most mins, so basically all i am saying is i am predicting him to be good enough to be in the equivalent of the starting 5. But this year at SU, yeah that could be pretty good!

There are several ex of SU players recently that have taken a big soph leap- Fab, Dion, MCW, etc . Lets hope FH, TL, andor PC can join that group!

It's hype when you shot like he did last year and you have a 5th year senior and a top 25 recruit coming into the positions he plays and have him with either more minutes or very close to the same minutes as the two players.

apples & oranges. Roberson is competing with 2 other very good forwards, one of whom is probably going to lead the team in minutes (Lydon). Howard is one of only 2 true point guards, a position in which one guy often gets the bulk of minutes. If one of Howard or Gillon separates himself from the other on both ends of the court, then that guy could easily end up playing 30+ mpg

Like I said earlier, welcome and post more often.

I think you'll end up being pleasantly surprised by Gillon's capabilities. Hearing that Howard has taken the "sophomore jump," too. The most important position on the floor for college basketball is in excellent hands, and Battle isn't even part of the equation [he could probably play there in a pinch].

Just out of curiosity, and pardon my ignorance, why is everyone so high on Gillon? I have been following the football board almost exclusively since probably June so I have missed a lot on him, but when I look at his stats from last year he seems a bit short for the zone, was just okay shooting the ball and played in a mid major conference. I would LOVE for you all to be right, but I am curious as to why you have so much confidence?

Gillon had to take on more point guard and general team leader responsibilities last year, I believe, so numbers (at least 3 pt. %) are bound to dip somewhat. He has a lot of well-developed offensive tools. And he's another alpha male - SU has been loading up on those again lately.

JB will once again have at least 2 players in the ACC top 5 minutes played and 3 top 100 nationally. it's what he does.

Gillon had to take on more point guard and general team leader responsibilities last year, I believe, so numbers (at least 3 pt. %) are bound to dip somewhat. He has a lot of well-developed offensive tools. And he's another alpha male - SU has been loading up on those again lately.
Gillon should be very solid but FH might be just as solid based on what ive been reading

Gillon should be very solid but FH might be just as solid based on what ive been reading

Hope he learned how to shoot. 50% from the line, 10% from three, and 38% from 2 isn't going to cut it, not with a solid shooting 5th year senior ahead of him.

Hope he learned how to shoot. 50% from the line, 10% from three, and 38% from 2 isn't going to cut it, not with a solid shooting 5th year senior ahead of him.
Youve said that many times, but remains to be seen if FH can "cut it" this year

I hope theres two things you keep in mind: 1) Mal shot ~ 38% from 2 last year and he is now in nba. 2) if these two compete for a spot it would be at the point guard position , not the shooting guard position

so it would be ideal if you spent more time discussing his playmaking skills and maybe a tiny bit less time discussing his shooting skills

Youve said that many times, but remains to be seen if FH can "cut it" this year

I hope theres two things you keep in mind: 1) Mal shot ~ 38% from 2 last year and he is now in nba. 2) if these two compete for a spot it would be at the point guard position , not the shooting guard position

so it would be ideal if you spent more time discussing his playmaking skills and maybe a tiny bit less time discussing his shooting skills

Mali isn't in the NBA to shoot 2s.

You can have all the playmaking skills in the world, but what happens against a zone defense and there are 5 guys guarding our other 4 offensive players and FH is there by himself with the rock? Then what?

Mali isn't in the NBA to shoot 2s.

You can have all the playmaking skills in the world, but what happens against a zone defense and there are 5 guys guarding our other 4 offensive players and FH is there by himself with the rock? Then what?
Roughly half his shots were from 2 last year.

Take it to the rim or take a wide open jumper, much like he did when he played as SU made a run to FF last year. I expect his mins to go up this year.

Sorry you are so skeptical on FH, peace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom