OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days? | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

OK, What are the Best Restaurants in Syracuse these Days?

Relative lack of residential population combined with inertia: when the city and Pyramid were developing Franklin Square, private development in the Armory was just getting some momentum. Planners realized that a small city's urban renaissance wouldn't support a second retail district so close to the Armory, so they actively sought to limit the land use in Franklin Square to office and some residential.

It was the right move at the time, but it's obviously robbed Franklin Square of some vitality today.

I think if some of the development in "Outer Franklin"/Inner Harbor area continues to develop, you'll see more vitality in that sense. But yeah, much of Franklin Square is occupied by office space, high-end condos and senior living. Not ideal for a restaurant/bar scene.

I've been to Buffalo a lot recently for work and I think some here overrated the difference in food compared to Syracuse. The restaurant scene is good, but I have not been blown away.

Honestly pound for pound best food in upstate is really Utica.

I think if some of the development in "Outer Franklin"/Inner Harbor area continues to develop, you'll see more vitality in that sense. But yeah, much of Franklin Square is occupied by office space, high-end condos and senior living. Not ideal for a restaurant/bar scene.

The opportunity exists for that type of development to push in from the edges. There's an even greater opportunity, in my opinion, regarding I-81. The Butternut Street bridge is currently an arterial that offers no connection between Little Italy and Franklin Square. NYSDOT has proposed removing that bridge and instead building a more pedestrian-friendly and direct one in the vicinity of Genant Drive (like two blocks between the two neighborhoods). This would go a long way in tying the two together. The business-owners organization over there is opposed. For some reason they're convinced that the quick Butternut Street car connection to North Franklin Street (and Armory) is a huge draw for their neighborhood.

They're obviously missing the bigger picture.

You must be younger. Armory Square 10-15 years ago was an absolute madhouse at 2 a.m. It's far more tame now, probably due to the fact that a lot of the club-type places have been replaced.
I am younger. But I’ve been around Armory for several years now. It seems to be regressing, not in the quality of stores/restaurants available, but in the crowd/crime increasing at night. I realize it was far worse decades ago. However this years the first year in 4 or 5 I’ve been patted down entering Suds by a guy in a bulletproof vest haha

I've been to Buffalo a lot recently for work and I think some here overrated the difference in food compared to Syracuse. The restaurant scene is good, but I have not been blown away.

Honestly pound for pound best food in upstate is really Utica.
100% agree. Utica’s got mini NYC euro/ethnic food quality.

The opportunity exists for that type of development to push in from the edges. There's an even greater opportunity, in my opinion, regarding I-81. The Butternut Street bridge is currently an arterial that offers no connection between Little Italy and Franklin Square. NYSDOT has proposed removing that bridge and instead building a more pedestrian-friendly and direct one in the vicinity of Genant Drive (like two blocks between the two neighborhoods). This would go a long way in tying the two together. The business-owners organization over there is opposed. For some reason they're convinced that the quick Butternut Street car connection to North Franklin Street (and Armory) is a huge draw for their neighborhood.

They're obviously missing the bigger picture.
This would prove potentially wonderful towards my hopes of connecting a residential corridor between Tipp, Armory and Franklin. Could restore an area of the north and west sides thats suffered horribly in the past couple decades

I am younger. But I’ve been around Armory for several years now. It seems to be regressing, not in the quality of stores/restaurants available, but in the crowd/crime increasing at night. I realize it was far worse decades ago. However this years the first year in 4 or 5 I’ve been patted down entering Suds by a guy in a bulletproof vest haha

I don't know, I've witnessed a couple of near riots back in the day and there used to be nightly brawls on the streets when the bars let out. I'm sure that still happens to some degree, but I don't think at the frequency it used to. As to the Suds bouncer, bouncers are gonna do things.

Edit - didn't realize dee-bag (even abbreviated) was a banned word here.

Last edited:
Ah well thats just not true. It’s improving slowly. Old restaurants seem to be falling off and new exciting ones are coming in.

Someone answer me this. Whats with the lack of restaurants/bars in franklin square?
Franklin square is essentially residential lofts and a few businesses. Not really zoned well for it. This might change with the developing inner harbor however.

100% agree. Utica’s got mini NYC euro/ethnic food quality.

I agree. I worked in Utica for a few years and really enjoyed many of the restaurants, many of the best being my favorite types - simple decor, fantastic food.

Funny enough, I used to hear all the time from my coworkers how excited they were when a franchise chain like Chili's was opening a location in the area. They were surrounded by great food but wanted what the rest of america had.

Relative lack of residential population combined with inertia: when the city and Pyramid were developing Franklin Square, private development in the Armory was just getting some momentum. Planners realized that a small city's urban renaissance wouldn't support a second retail district so close to the Armory, so they actively sought to limit the land use in Franklin Square to office and some residential.

It was the right move at the time, but it's obviously robbed Franklin Square of some vitality today.
We had Romans( then Daniellas steakhouse) and dry dock grill in Franklin but they both either moved locations or were bought out by businesses. Its a really nice residential/business district. Freedom of Espresso makes a killing there.

Makes a lot of sense. I think Franklin Square gaining ground with some service industry/night life could only catalyze the steady progress downtown syracuse is making. Armory’s turning into a mess at night though. I know I try to stay on Tipp or towards hanover for night life these days.
Armory has slowly been changing from clubby bars( i bounced at almost all of them from 2000 to 2005-ish, to more chill bars with great beer selections. I personally love the change.

They over cook their pasta. But the sauce and pricing is great. And it has a good vibe. Probably nostalgia.

The pasta at Pastabilities is often wet, too, from that stupid dunking thing that they use to warm it up. When I go there for lunch (usually in the winter), I always make sure to ask the guy to really drain the pasta before he plates it.

Well if you using Stella’s as your comparison, now we know why you think Buffalo restaurants are great.

Talking about dinners in this post.

I get it, you love your home town. I do too. But it's just silly if you think Syracuse has better restaurants. Even based off opportunity alone (though I think if the sample size was the same, the results wouldn't change) Buffalo's bigger. It has more options. It's like comparing a class B team to a class A team. CNS is going to beat Westhill 9 times out of 10, just a bigger talent pool.

Agree'd

They're obviously missing the bigger

I get it, you love your home town. I do too. But it's just silly if you think Syracuse has better restaurants. Even based off opportunity alone (though I think if the sample size was the same, the results wouldn't change) Buffalo's bigger. It has more options. It's like comparing a class B team to a class A team. CNS is going to beat Westhill 9 times out of 10, just a bigger talent pool.
Dude, don't get me started on Buffalo hiking downhill for 30 years now. You guys haven't had the best wings for 25 years now...and wings are your thing that put you on the map.

Dude, don't get me started on Buffalo hiking downhill for 30 years now. You guys haven't had the best wings for 25 years now...and wings are your thing that put you on the map.

Uhh, lol okay. Buffalo has got dramatically better in the last 10 years.

For for New York people and Syracuse people, it sounds like the developer of the apartment building where Chuck's was located have a letter of intent with The Halal Guys to open a restaurant there.

So...yes. That's good news.

Duffs and anchor dont.

Gabriel’s Gate though...Buffalo’s still got it

Duffs and anchor dont.

Gabriel’s Gate though...Buffalo’s still got it

Agreed. What I've heard as well.

That said theres a few places in Syracuse that have wings just as good. Hafners. Colemans. Toss N Fire.

Agreed. What I've heard as well.

That said theres a few places in Syracuse that have wings just as good. Hafners. Colemans. Toss N Fire.
Think Gabe’s are bigger and better. Syracuse wings are good though. It’s not an insult to cuse establishments by any means

Some great wings out here in Madison County .. the Roadside in W Eaton , Copper Turret in Morrisville {they make the best beers around) and the best at Ray Brothers BBQ in Bouckville

Do you mean diners? Sorry I got confused. Try the Rise & Shine Diner on Thompson Rd. Its significantly better than Stella's.

I get it, you love your home town. I do too. But it's just silly if you think Syracuse has better restaurants. Even based off opportunity alone (though I think if the sample size was the same, the results wouldn't change) Buffalo's bigger. It has more options.

Sorry - it just seems that you really don't know the Syracuse food scene all that well. There's good food in Buffalo, but your sweeping statement that Syracuse restaurants are sub-par to Buffalo's is pretty uninformed.

Do you mean diners? Sorry I got confused. Try the Rise & Shine Diner on Thompson Rd. Its significantly better than Stella's.

Sorry - it just seems that you really don't know the Syracuse food scene all that well. There's good food in Buffalo, but your sweeping statement that Syracuse restaurants are sub-par to Buffalo's is pretty uninformed.

That’s fair. I just hear literally nothing about it, ever. Locally, I don’t hear much. Nationally, I don’t hear much. A family friend just opened this diner (second chance) in Camillus I’m going to try if I decide to go back for Christmas.