Ok who wants to give Doug an extension? | Syracusefan.com

Ok who wants to give Doug an extension?

kcsu

Living Legend
Total melt down. Im really glad the kids know the Life skills because they sure as hell dont know how to hold onto the ball or play error free ball. Totally disgusting to have 10 penalties, and six turnovers. If we dont win 7 next year Doug will be fired.

I'll give him an extension ... he can be a non-play calling offensive coordinator for the new HC. Just like we was at NO.

10 penalties and 6 turnovers ... sounds like the players need to be fired.

Total melt down. Im really glad the kids know the Life skills because they sure as hell dont know how to hold onto the ball or play error free ball. Totally disgusting to have 10 penalties, and six turnovers. If we dont win 7 next year Doug will be fired.
Yes, I would give Doug an extension, but a short one (2 years). He has turned the program around from ground zero. He did a terrific job the last two years.

Yes, this season was disappointing, especially the last five games, but that is not enough to can a Coach who has otherwise done a good to excellent job.

Next year we will really be seeing the impact of his recruiting. Doug has earned another shot.

Yes, I would give Doug an extension, but a short one (2 years). He has turned the program around from ground zero. He did a terrific job the last two years.

Yes, this season was disappointing, especially the last five games, but that is not enough to can a Coach who has otherwise done a good to excellent job.

Next year we will really be seeing the impact of his recruiting. Doug has earned another shot.
are you out of your mind? An excellent job? At what name one thing just one area of this team that Doug has done a good job on. Ok name just one thing that Doug hasnt completely screwed up? Ok i get it you are hanging your hat on all of the great recruits we have coming in. No wait a minute you love the team unity. Oh heck it must be the fact that he didnt waste any key frosh Red shirts this year. No what have i been thinking it is the positive image he shows each game on the sidelines. Wow could it be his life skills program? Enough he has sucked in every aspect of coaching this year. There is not one thing that Doug has done well. Not one.

Why answer that now?

You don't have to give him an extension until sometime next season.

Having said that, I don't see how things will get much better next year. Hopefully some younger guys step up.

Doug can be HC of the SU Finishing and Etiquette School for ladies since that's about all he can hang his hat on at this time.

For a team that is meticulously taught how to be polite, tie a Windsor knot and use the right forks during their meals they sure make a lot of stupid penalties and mistakes.

Manners and life lessons don't win football games, coach.

I'll give him an extension ... he can be a non-play calling offensive coordinator for the new HC. Just like we was at NO.

Yeah, what is that anyway...a non calling offensive coordinator? Is that as rare as watching an opening muff kickoff return to start a game and then finishing it with that -what are the chances type- pick six?

are you out of your mind? An excellent job? At what name one thing just one area of this team that Doug has done a good job on. Ok name just one thing that Doug hasnt completely screwed up? Ok i get it you are hanging your hat on all of the great recruits we have coming in. No wait a minute you love the team unity. Oh heck it must be the fact that he didnt waste any key frosh Red shirts this year. No what have i been thinking it is the positive image he shows each game on the sidelines. Wow could it be his life skills program? Enough he has sucked in every aspect of coaching this year. There is not one thing that Doug has done well. Not one.
You think it is easy to bring a program up to respectability from where it was after Greg left.

It can take years for a coach to turn around a program.

Up until the last five games I thought Doug had the program ahead of schedule. The last five games the wheels fell off. Yeah, I dislike that as much as the next guy.

However, Doug hasn't even had enough time to play with a roster of his own recruits. He certainly deserves that much.

Sometimes in the course of re-building it will not be straight uphill and there will be steps backward. The last five games certainly were steps backwards.

Now, let's all calm down, recognize the extent to which Doug has turned it around in three seasons and see what evolves next year. If next season is another step backwards then maybe we need to re-eavluate Doug, but until then I am happy to have him as my coach.

If you want to put things in perspective if you flipped last season and this season nobody would be calling for Doug's head.

"IF"??? Absurd - you can't "flipped last season and this season" so the fact remains that SU sucked almost this entire year and regressed throughout the entire second half of the season to end up being one of the worst teams in D1.

Not only did he suck in every aspect of coaching this team, he has completely sucked the life out of the players on this team.

Not sure anymore, if he is the right person for this job.

"IF"??? Absurd - you can't "flipped last season and this season" so the fact remains that SU sucked almost this entire year and regressed throughout the entire second half of the season to end up being one of the worst teams in D1.
You need to move to NM & watch the Lobos if you want to see the worst team in D1.

They are on track for their third straight 1 & 11 season. The coach, Locksley was fired in mid-season, probably as much for off the field incidents as on the field lack of success.

A respected name, Mike Davies, will be the coach next year. Let's see how long it takes him to get the Lobos up to respectability.

are you a friend of Dougs? Because if not im not sure how you can support him. At this point Doug is a very poor head coach. His team regressed and he has lost it. I hope that he turns it around as he is a Syracuse guy and seems to be a really good person. If you ever had the chance to spend time with Greggers and his wife you would have loved them. Fantastic guy. I think the next coach we hire has to be a proven college head coach. I would either go all in and get a fantastic coach or hire the best that the MAC has to offer but please hire a coach with college head coaching experiance.

I would, but not at this very moment.

Pretty soon the whining droning cicadas here will be demanding a coach be fired on February 7 if he didn't get a recruiting class of all 4- and 5-star guys.

I like how you asked an open-ended question, started perfectly reasonable area of debate, then jump down the throat of everyone who doesn't agree with you.

You've made your point.

My opinion is that if Greg Robinson got 4 years, Doug Marrone deserves five. I watched the same games you did, and I choose to believe that there is hope for next year. And the year after. And the year after.

You can question the guy all you want. That's fine. But the team still won five games with an awful defense and a not-so-great offensive plan.

Besides, you fire this coach, who is coming in to replace him? We don't have the money to buy out the current coach (that's at least two million dollars) and hire the next one (which would have to be at least two million to get some one worthwhile, plus another several million the athletic department isn't paying the staff now for a new staff).

We're much better off riding the storm for another year or two then making a knee-jerk decision like the one you want.

We aren't in a position where we have to consider that this year, but we sure could lock him up for reasonable money right now!

Marrone will be given every opportunity to make changes during the off-season.

If next season begins as disasterously as this season ended, Marrone will have some 'splaining to do.

I like how you asked an open-ended question, started perfectly reasonable area of debate, then jump down the throat of everyone who doesn't agree with you.

You've made your point.

My opinion is that if Greg Robinson got 4 years, Doug Marrone deserves five. I watched the same games you did, and I choose to believe that there is hope for next year. And the year after. And the year after.

You can question the guy all you want. That's fine. But the team still won five games with an awful defense and a not-so-great offensive plan.

Besides, you fire this coach, who is coming in to replace him? We don't have the money to buy out the current coach (that's at least two million dollars) and hire the next one (which would have to be at least two million to get some one worthwhile, plus another several million the athletic department isn't paying the staff now for a new staff).

We're much better off riding the storm for another year or two then making a knee-jerk decision like the one you want.
I have never suggested firing Doug at this point. I feel on the other hand that for the good of the program Doug should not be given an extension at this time. I mean based on what merit? 5 ugly games in a row and a team that has regressed. I think the proper course of action is to make a decision about 5 games in next year. Doc should either give him an extension of three years at that point or play the year out and than make a decision. Giving Doug an extension at this point makes zero sense to me. That is my point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom