Ok who wants to give Doug an extension? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ok who wants to give Doug an extension?

Gerg got 4 years. Doug certainly deserves at least 1 more.
Why? Because he is an alum? The guy is getting paid a huge amount of money why would we reward failure? What the hell am i missing? Am i the only person who feels as if Doug should be rewarded based on performance? In addition it would be one thing if we finished a strong 5-7 but losing 5 ugly games in a row with a total melt down doesnt warrant an extension in my book

Why? Because he is an alum? The guy is getting paid a huge amount of money why would we reward failure? What the hell am i missing? Am i the only person who feels as if Doug should be rewarded based on performance? In addition it would be one thing if we finished a strong 5-7 but losing 5 ugly games in a row with a total melt down doesnt warrant an extension in my book

You answered your own question. If you buy out the last two years of his contract, you're paying him a huge amount of money to do nothing. Plus you then have to come up with a huge amount of money for the next coach and his staff.

Which is why there's no doubt that Marrone will get year #4 next season.

You answered your own question. If you buy out the last two years of his contract, you're paying him a huge amount of money to do nothing. Plus you then have to come up with a huge amount of money for the next coach and his staff.

Which is why there's no doubt that Marrone will get year #4 next season.
Please read my post. I HAVE NEVER SAID WE FIRE DOUG NOW. My point is that Doug should not be given an extension at this point in time. That we need to see how next year goes. If Doug fails he should be fired and we buy out his last year. If he gets off to a strong start i would give him a two-three year extension. If we are in the middle i would let the season play out and than make a decision.

Please read my post. I HAVE NEVER SAID WE FIRE DOUG NOW. My point is that Doug should not be given an extension at this point in time. That we need to see how next year goes. If Doug fails he should be fired and we buy out his last year. If he gets off to a strong start i would give him a two-three year extension. If we are in the middle i would let the season play out and than make a decision.

You just jumped down the throat of a poster who suggested that Marrone deserved 1 more year.

are you out of your mind? An excellent job? At what name one thing just one area of this team that Doug has done a good job on. Ok name just one thing that Doug hasnt completely screwed up? Ok i get it you are hanging your hat on all of the great recruits we have coming in. No wait a minute you love the team unity. Oh heck it must be the fact that he didnt waste any key frosh Red shirts this year. No what have i been thinking it is the positive image he shows each game on the sidelines. Wow could it be his life skills program? Enough he has sucked in every aspect of coaching this year. There is not one thing that Doug has done well. Not one.

OK, which players has HCDM used wrong? How much more should each have produced? Who should he have played and who should have sat down instead? WHAT CHANGES WOULD HAVE YOU MADE, WHAT WOULD THEY HAVE PRODUCED, BE SPECIFIC... on on the edge of my seat LOL

There's no reason to extend his contract. I can't imagine there's a long line of schools waiting to steal him away at this point. The collapse may have sealed his ultimate fate, however. One more win and another bowl game would have improved his recruiting opportunities. Another bowl-less season doesn't help his cause. He's made progress from the Robinson debacle, but man is it slow. Patience his difficult in this day and age.

You just jumped down the throat of a poster who suggested that Marrone deserved 1 more year.
my bad i just read his post again. I thought he was discussing an extension. I do believe Doug should get next year but if we are as bad next as this that we should buy out the last year of his contract.

I say give him a three year extension this very minute.

I'm sure that is unpopular at the moment, but here's my thinking. Whatever he does next year will only set up the following season. He isn't going to be fired next year unless we do the unthinkable and have a 2-10 type year. He will get at least two more seasons, so IMO the idea of giving him an extension now has little risk anyway.

The positives however may include...

- The potential for saving money by locking him into his current salary. I don't know what happened midyear, and perhaps we will never know, but a corresponding winning streak next year puts us right back on scheduler, leaves this debacle in the rearview mirror, and makes Marrone an under the radar commodity once again. Don't think he would leave, but might cost more to keep him.
- I have to imagine the locker room is feeling just as bad as we are on this board. Some kids may love it, some might hate it, but making a public commitment to Marrone will only help shore up the unity, one way or another.
- I continue to believe that the man is trying so hard to rip respectability from the cold, dead hands of GROB's tenure, that it is having a residual effect on many different areas of the program. Is he capable of relaxing, of remembering that this is supposed to be fun for everybody? I don't know... but getting that calming vote of confidence certainly could help with that.
- While I am not sure if the administration would do this, I would use it as a bargaining chip. Kind of one of those, "no problem, you definitely deserve to have some more security. Now that we got this taken care of, how bout you go find a Special Teams coach and either go back to calling plays or hire an experienced OC, *wink wink*"

If im Gross i simply tell Doug that another year like this one is unacceptable. I ask him to be very specific about what he is looking to change in the off season that will have a postive impact on next year. I ask him to review his performance and his assistant coaches performance. I ask him to prove to me that he has the ability to lead this program forward. If he answers those questions to my satisfaction i tell him exactly what will happen next year. I lay out his future and let him know that if he succeeds what is in store for him in the way of an extension and if he fails that we will be buying out his contract and moving in a different direction.

If im Gross i simply tell Doug that another year like this one is unacceptable. I ask him to be very specific about what he is looking to change in the off season that will have a postive impact on next year. I ask him to review his performance and his assistant coaches performance. I ask him to prove to me that he has the ability to lead this program forward. If he answers those questions to my satisfaction i tell him exactly what will happen next year. I lay out his future and let him know that if he succeeds what is in store for him in the way of an extension and if he fails that we will be buying out his contract and moving in a different direction.

And then he laughs at you because you are scolding perhaps the most accountable, dedicated, and hard working individual on campus, as if he were some irresponsible child who has failed to do his homework. You now have created unnecessary tension within the working relationship, and opened yourself up to the possibility of having your bluff called. I don't think you grasp how difficult it is going to be to bring in a guy that is CLEARLY a cut above Doug.

If im Gross i simply tell Doug that another year like this one is unacceptable. I ask him to be very specific about what he is looking to change in the off season that will have a postive impact on next year. I ask him to review his performance and his assistant coaches performance. I ask him to prove to me that he has the ability to lead this program forward.

Gross doesn't need to ask the Coach all of this. If we know Marrone like I think we do, he certainly be reflecting long and hard. Marrone loves this school and does not want to let down the fan base. He wants to win and will put the team in a position to do so, to the best of his knowledge and abilities.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Marrone is fully aware that another year like this is unacceptable.

Will you be wagging your finger like Dikembe Motumbo while you give him that speech?

Please tell me you don't manage people.

OK, which players has HCDM used wrong? How much more should each have produced? Who should he have played and who should have sat down instead? WHAT CHANGES WOULD HAVE YOU MADE, WHAT WOULD THEY HAVE PRODUCED, BE SPECIFIC... on on the edge of my seat LOL
and if anyone would know its KSU because he is obviously at all the practices in the locker room, heck didn't he coach a superbowl we know he stinks and if he doesn't go 7-5 he will have him fired because he makes that decision if he would just stop yelling at everyone with a different opinion

And then he laughs at you because you are scolding perhaps the most accountable, dedicated, and hard working individual on campus, as if he were some irresponsible child who has failed to do his homework. You now have created unnecessary tension within the working relationship, and opened yourself up to the possibility of having your bluff called. I don't think you grasp how difficult it is going to be to bring in a guy that is CLEARLY a cut above Doug.
Are you kidding me. Bringing in another coach who is equal or better than Doug now that we are going to the ACC. One other point hard work accountable and dedicated is what every head coach in D1 is. Do you really think Doug is the only one.

and if anyone would know its KSU because he is obviously at all the practices in the locker room, heck didn't he coach a superbowl we know he stinks and if he doesn't go 7-5 he will have him fired because he makes that decision if he would just stop yelling at everyone with a different opinion
cuse simple question for you. If doug goes 5-7 next year do you want him back

cuse simple question for you. If doug goes 5-7 next year do you want him back
I won't know until it plays out, but likely, I would look at the entire picture instead of a rash ranting because of this season. I am realistic in my expectations. Syracuse is not a selector school especially after the last decade, to not expect set backs along the way is just unrealistic. I saw good progress in year 1 & year 2, and stated last year that his success would likely cause him grief this year because of unrealistic expectations, and if the worst happens this year he would get the comments like yours. Personally I think that he is getting a slight upgrade in talent, and if you watch the games closely you will see that he is putting the players in positions to make plays, but they have not been able to execute (missed tackles, dropped passes, no touch on throws etc). I also believe that the people that actually make those decisions (if he comes back) have far more information as to what is going on in the program than we do.. I also believe that one of the reasons coach P had some of (not all) his recruiting issues was that other programs would use rumors that he wasn't coming back to help recruit against us. I personally believe it is going to take more than 2 full recruiting seasons to develop the players he needs for his system. I realize we have stunk for a long time, but that is one reason it likely will take longer to rebuild and is not good to pull the plug after 3 full recruiting classes. I guess I am just far more patient, and understanding of what I believe it takes to develop a program in Syracuse than many others

I won't know until it plays out, but likely, I would look at the entire picture instead of a rash ranting because of this season. I am realistic in my expectations. Syracuse is not a selector school especially after the last decade, to not expect set backs along the way is just unrealistic. I saw good progress in year 1 & year 2, and stated last year that his success would likely cause him grief this year because of unrealistic expectations, and if the worst happens this year he would get the comments like yours. Personally I think that he is getting a slight upgrade in talent, and if you watch the games closely you will see that he is putting the players in positions to make plays, but they have not been able to execute (missed tackles, dropped passes, no touch on throws etc). I also believe that the people that actually make those decisions (if he comes back) have far more information as to what is going on in the program than we do.. I also believe that one of the reasons coach P had some of (not all) his recruiting issues was that other programs would use rumors that he wasn't coming back to help recruit against us. I personally believe it is going to take more than 2 full recruiting seasons to develop the players he needs for his system. I realize we have stunk for a long time, but that is one reason it likely will take longer to rebuild and is not good to pull the plug after 3 full recruiting classes. I guess I am just far more patient, and understanding of what I believe it takes to develop a program in Syracuse than many others
Your points are well taken. I also expected us to have a fall back year. I was expecting 6-6. My issue isnt so much with our record but with our play. It is one thing to lose because the other team simply has more talent. It is another thing to lose because we are out coached and or continue to make the same mistakes and penalties. That in my opinion is coaching. I have been supporting SU Athletics for many years and bleed orange. I do not however bleed "coaches" Im a program guy and feel as if the coaching this year was very poor. Lets hope that next year things improve.

--------------

Clearly, with an outstanding expert available such as kcsu, Dr. G should fire DM immediately and replace him with ... kcsu.

Kcsu will then be free to assemble an all star team of assistants, hopefully including many of the posters on this thread:

1) focus on football: not life skills: obviously that is a distracting, demoralizing focus

2) recruit only outstanding players: excellent suggestion!

3) play only players who perform at an outstanding level

4) create an exciting, innovative offensive plan: another breakthrough idea: clearly the present staff is clueless about college football.

5) return to the basics: insist that passes must be caught, runners must be tackled, the opposing QB must be pressured, the OL must open routes for the runner and protect the QB, fouls should not be committed and so on: these are concepts that are obviously not understood by the current staff.

--------------

Clearly, with an outstanding expert available such as kcsu, Dr. G should fire DM immediately and replace him with ... kcsu.

Kcsu will then be free to assemble an all star team of assistants, hopefully including many of the posters on this thread:

1) focus on football: not life skills: obviously that is a distracting, demoralizing focus

2) recruit only outstanding players: excellent suggestion!

3) play only players who perform at an outstanding level

4) create an exciting, innovative offensive plan: another breakthrough idea: clearly the present staff is clueless about college football.

5) return to the basics: insist that passes must be caught, runners must be tackled, the opposing QB must be pressured, the OL must open routes for the runner and protect the QB, fouls should not be committed and so on: these are concepts that are obviously not understood by the current staff.
No but i do think that the good Doctor will be selecting someone else to run this program if Doug has another melt down like this year.

No but i do think that the good Doctor will be selecting someone else to run this program if Doug has another melt down like this year.

I think 99% of the people here would agree with you. But since next year HASN"T F-ING HAPPENED YET, can you please calm the F down? Feel free to continue your vendetta against Marrone in December of next year. Did Marrone steal your Dove bar or something? You make zero sense and do not even give valid points as to why Marrone will fail. If you did I think people would at least respect your opinion. You just yell and scream without offering any substance. And I am someone who thinks Marone won't likely be successful here at SU. I even questioned it after last year's Bowl W. Also I am someone who thought his hire was highly questionable in the first place. That being said, I do not see how the program will be any better off without giving Marrone at least 5 years. Unless next year is a total cluster , we are better off letting Marrone bring in decent talent so the next HC has something to work with in year 6.

Right now it is looking more and more likely that Marrone won't be here in the long run. And that while he is here, he will be a HCRE clone in terms of running the team, bringing in talent, and coaching. But as long as he doesn't fall back into GRobesque inept play, we certainly should allow Marrone to prove that he isn't any better than a HCRE, which will not cut it long term. So Marrone should get 5-6 years. We will all have to deal with it. In 2014 we can start talking about who our next HC will be and how that HC will get us into the ACC CG. Until the relax.

I think 99% of the people here would agree with you. But since next year HASN"T F-ING HAPPENED YET, can you please calm the F down? Feel free to continue your vendetta against Marrone in December of next year. Did Marrone steal your Dove bar or something? You make zero sense and do not even give valid points as to why Marrone will fail. If you did I think people would at least respect your opinion. You just yell and scream without offering any substance. And I am someone who thinks Marone won't likely be successful here at SU. I even questioned it after last year's Bowl W. Also I am someone who thought his hire was highly questionable in the first place. That being said, I do not see how the program will be any better off without giving Marrone at least 5 years. Unless next year is a total cluster ****, we are better off letting Marrone bring in decent talent so the next HC has something to work with in year 6.

Right now it is looking more and more likely that Marrone won't be here in the long run. And that while he is here, he will be a HCRE clone in terms of running the team, bringing in talent, and coaching. But as long as he doesn't fall back into GRobesque inept play, we certainly should allow Marrone to prove that he isn't any better than a HCRE, which will not cut it long term. So Marrone should get 5-6 years. We will all have to deal with it. In 2014 we can start talking about who our next HC will be and how that HC will get us into the ACC CG. Until the relax.
Ok i agree i have been off the chart on this but im afraid we are going to make the same mistake we made with Greg and give Doug one year too long. My point is simple. He needs to show significant improvement next year or we should buy out the last year of his contract. Five years does nothing as he will be a lame duck coach and recruiting will suffer. Next year if he is off to a good start give him an extension if not buy his last year out and move forward.

Do I think he should get an extension right now, no. But I think he is smart enough to make the changes needed in his staff to do a better job. I am not sold that next season will be great either, just don't think Nassib can get it done, hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it. With that said, I don't think he should be fired if the product looks better despite record next year. I just don't want to see this same mess we saw this season, ridiculous penalties and clock management, that's got to change.

Ok i agree i have been off the chart on this but im afraid we are going to make the same mistake we made with Greg and give Doug one year too long. My point is simple. He needs to show significant improvement next year or we should buy out the last year of his contract. Five years does nothing as he will be a lame duck coach and recruiting will suffer. Next year if he is off to a good start give him an extension if not buy his last year out and move forward.

What is the harm in giving Marrone a two year extension during the Spring? That will allow two things. First it will give him 5 years, with the 5th year being 110% all his players. And second and most important it will allow him to recruit for next year's class. That is very very very important. It takes awhile to build a relationship with HS coaches. And supposedly Marrone is to have a break through class this next class. If we do not extend Doug, then he will be trying to recruit next year's class with one hand tied behind his back. That isn't fair to him and HURTS the program. Do you really want the next HC after Marrone to have NOTHING to work with?

So IMO the best thing for the PROGRAM is to extend Marrone two years in the Spring with a VERY favorable buyout for years 6 and 7. If the next year's recruiting class is not Top 40 and Marrone has a mediocre 2012, then in 2013 he will need to have a good year to keep his job. So at worst we keep Marrone two more years, have two mediocre seasons, and have some players for the next HC to work with. At best Marrone figures things out and returns SU FB to a Top 25 program.

IMO that is not a big risk to take. A bigger risk would be letting Marrone go after year 4, and having no players for the next HC to work with. Unless 2012 is a complete cluster , the best thing for SU FB is to give Marrone 5 years.

That being said I have always believed that you can tell what you got in a HC in year 3. Not in terms of Ws and Ls in year 3, but you will be able to fully evaluate systems, in game coaching, how they run the program, and the type of talent they can bring in. That does not necessarily mean that a HC should be fired after 3 years, but you can tell if your HC will be successful or mediocre after 3 years. Unless of course you have a GRobesque HC who is so bad that they deserve to be fired after 3 years.

Well after 3 years I think Marrone will not be successful at SU coaching the way he has thus far. He would have to make drastic changes to be a success. IMO a success would be an average of 8-5 every year or better. Which would mean over .500 in the ACC (5-4), 2-0 vs non BCS/1AA, and 1-1 vs OOC BC/Bowl game. That is more than fair to judge success.

IMO Marrone's systems suck. I do not think his O can be successful at a school like SU. You need too much talent. I also do not think Shafer's D can be successful at SU. Shafer's D asks a lot of the players in it. If you have talent then it can be an awesome D. However with average talent it allows way too many big plays by design. You cannot expect SU talent to consistently make the plays he is requiring them to. So based on systems (which can change), I cannot see Marrone being a success.

I am not a fan of Marrone's in game coaching. I have no problem at all his his sideline demeanor and actually prefer it compare to some of these other knuckleheads. However I do feel we need someone on the sideline who does have emotion. Every staff needs that type of guy to fire people up. I think Marrone has a bunch of zombies on the sideline and this hurts. Of course this is easily something that can be changed. What I do not think will change is Marrone's ultra conservative decisions and awful time management. Those things IMO you either get or you don't. They will not change. So based on in game coaching I do not think Marrone will be a success.

I have no problem and actually like how Marrone is trying to run the program. He seems to get this part of things. What he is trying to teach the kids, how he deals with the media, and tries to involve the community are all good things. Based on this I think he could be a success.

Which leaves the type of talent Marrone can bring in. I like his strategy of direct flights to Syracuse. That is a very smart thing. But in terms of actual talent he has brought in, I am a bit concerned. I like the DBs he has brought in. I like the LBs he has brought in, although I think there are too many of them. I like what we have at DT as well. However I am concerned with the DEs. There doesn't seem to be much there. I am a bit worried of how we will replace Marinovich, and I think he is mediocre at best.

Then there is the O. I like the TEs he has brought in. However I do not think TE is really all that important, and is more of a luxury position. You cannot build an O around them. I will say it is too early to tell with QB and OL. However WR is a bit concerning. That is a position kids can get onto the field early. So far we have seen nothing from that position. And finally we have the RBs. Wow. RB IMO is a position that you can recruit a ton of them, as they can easily be moved to over positions (WR, FB, DB, LB, DE). The fact that we have so few RBs on the roster is alarming. Why do we have no depth? RB is also a position that kids can get on the field early. The fact that we haven't seen production from Marrone RB's is alarming. I am very concern about replacing Bailey and he is nothing special.

I think Marrone has done a good job recruiting depth to the team. That is something that GRob lacked. There aren't as many holes as there used to be. However Marrone hasn't been able to recruit any playmakers and that is a concern. I think based on recruiting it is TBD whether Marrone can be successful, but I am certainly leaning toward that answer being no.

So IMO if you take what we have seen thus far from Marrone as a HC, I do not believe he will be a success at SU. I think he is looking like a HCRE clone. Which will be maddening for SU fans. He will be the type of HC to do just enough to keep his job. Which means he will likely be here 7 years. I cannot see Marrone turning things around unless he makes a bunch of changes.

Total melt down. Im really glad the kids know the Life skills because they sure as hell dont know how to hold onto the ball or play error free ball. Totally disgusting to have 10 penalties, and six turnovers. If we dont win 7 next year Doug will be fired.

Ugh.

Muskrat Love anybody?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom