Okay, I may be wrong...earlier would be better: ACCnetwork | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Okay, I may be wrong...earlier would be better: ACCnetwork

One of the largest untapped audiences is the HBCUs (Historical Black Colleges and Universities). Not only are they in the ACC footprint (if I am not mistaken, GA and NC have the most HBCUs in the country and a great majority is along the East coast and South), but they also have a loyal following that is generational. The Bayou Classic football game at Thanksgiving is a sell out every year. The CIAA basketball tourney is the largest bball tourney behind the ACC and now the BIG. It used to be the ACC, then the CIAA tourney. Anyway, the MEAC has some of the largest and most prestigious HBCUs in NC A&T, Florida A&M, Howard University and Hampton. So, having the ACC Network televise some of their content would also bring ad dollars to the ACC coffers.
This is a great idea. It wasn't till I moved to Charlotte a few years ago that I got an idea how large and dedicated a fanbase there exists for the HBCU's.
As you say, theres are entire historical traditions & culture down here, and the CIAA Tourney is ALWAYS a big deal in Charlotte.
It would seem to be a win-win w/ the ACCN providing visibility and some $$ to the HBCU's, and the HBCU fans providing another source of subscribers for the ACCN..

One of the largest untapped audiences is the HBCUs (Historical Black Colleges and Universities). Not only are they in the ACC footprint (if I am not mistaken, GA and NC have the most HBCUs in the country and a great majority is along the East coast and South), but they also have a loyal following that is generational. The Bayou Classic football game at Thanksgiving is a sell out every year. The CIAA basketball tourney is the largest bball tourney behind the ACC and now the BIG. It used to be the ACC, then the CIAA tourney. Anyway, the MEAC has some of the largest and most prestigious HBCUs in NC A&T, Florida A&M, Howard University and Hampton. So, having the ACC Network televise some of their content would also bring ad dollars to the ACC coffers.

It's an interesting idea similar to what I was suggesting for New England with Hockey East. The SWAC (Southwestern Athletic Conference) would complement the ACC footprint by adding Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas. If the ACC Network could get the cable companies to give it primary tier on their plans in those states by showing some SWAC, it would be a good move. That's significant additional subscribers in those 5 states. The SWAC might have to adjust their game times to fit for football, but they might be willing. The SWAC is the league with the Bayou Classic.

I think it is a terrible idea. Nothing says small time like having to bundle premier P5 content with a smaller league to "gain subscribers". ACCN should be able to stand on its own and funnel value to its members.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom