Okay, now that I've calmed down..,, | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Okay, now that I've calmed down..,,

Seriously, the final two minutes of that game aged me 25 years.

I just don't understand how our two guards repeatedly run away from the ball in critical inbound situations. It's comical. They did it against Lville and did it last night.

I honestly don't think either want to touch it in critical spots. So frustrating.

Anyone else think mcw could get to the rim at will last night? I would have loved to see him take it more to the hole. He's always looking for the assist, but he could have scored a bunch last night.

CJ is playing on a different level right now offensively, if he continues to shoot the ball like this, he is very tough to guard.

Obviously the zone was excellent last night. Keitas foot speed makes a huge impact closing out the gaps in the middle.

Montana and cal might have been the two worst offensive teams we played all year.
This Team will give you gre

I just don't understand how our two guards repeatedly run away from the ball in critical inbound situations. It's comical. They did it against Lville and did it last night.

I honestly don't think either want to touch it in critical spots. So frustrating.

Anyone else think mcw could get to the rim at will last night? I would have loved to see him take it more to the hole. He's always looking for the assist, but he could have scored a bunch last night.

CJ is playing on a different level right now offensively, if he continues to shoot the ball like this, he is very tough to guard.

Obviously the zone was excellent last night. Keitas foot speed makes a huge impact closing out the gaps in the middle.

Montana and cal might have been the two worst offensive teams we played all year.

This team will give you an ulcer if you let it. They play amazing D but they do not have a great basketball IQ.

Well it happened to James against Louisville too. Zeller would be a huge problem
That is why I said "to happen to James again" was referring to the first time it happened v Louisville. But it was only the 2nd time in a whole season. And the Louisville game had awful refs. So I don't think it is fair to think that JB should have anticipated the 3rd foul when you have a whole season of it not happening. Now that it has happened 2 times in a short period he should pull him.

This, seemed like every hesitation move he just blew right by the kid (and blew by him in a "i don't think this kid can EVER come close to stopping him" kind of way). He was going to get fouled or get to the rim almost every time from the look of things. Didn't happen nearly enough imo.

All year our guards do not come to the ball when inbounding against pressure. MCW makes one move and then stands there like he's glued to the floor. BT looks like he just doesn't want the ball period. They don't give the trigger man any angle. Passing in to Southerland almost always results in a TO because he can't put it on the floor without losing it. Don't understand why this fundamental basketball play hasn't been worked on and corrected. Notice that just about every other team the last couple days can do it...well except for Akron.

This, seemed like every hesitation move he just blew right by the kid (and blew by him in a "i don't think this kid can EVER come close to stopping him" kind of way). He was going to get fouled or get to the rim almost every time from the look of things. Didn't happen nearly enough imo.
I agree with you and Jake, MCW clearly could have gotten to the rim whenever he wanted. It is a shame that he didn't recognize that and use that advantage to stop Cal runs in the second half.

I agree with you and Jake, MCW clearly could have gotten to the rim whenever he wanted. It is a shame that he didn't recognize that and use that advantage to stop Cal runs in the second half.

Not sure what game people were watching last night. MCW went to the rim a bunch.

You cannot have it both ways. Many posters want MCW to be a pass-first PG. Others now apparently want him to go to the rim more.

It's a delicate balance, if keeping others involved is a priority. We cannot afford to have Fair, AND MCW, and <insert Southy, Triche>, be offensive black holes.

I thought MCW went to the hole in just the right amounts last night. He could have finished better, definitely. On SU's very first possession, when he went to the rack, he looked to be going at half speed. If he's going to go to the rim, do so with authority!

Not sure what game people were watching last night. MCW went to the rim a bunch.

You cannot have it both ways. Many posters want MCW to be a pass-first PG. Others now apparently want him to go to the rim more.

It's a delicate balance, if keeping others involved is a priority. We cannot afford to have Fair, AND MCW, and <insert Southy, Triche>, be offensive black holes.

I thought MCW went to the hole in just the right amounts last night. He could have finished better, definitely. On SU's very first possession, when he went to the rack, he looked to be going at half speed. If he's going to go to the rim, do so with authority!
He did take it to the rim, but in a loser goes home environment, you have to exploit the weakness of the other team until they find a solution.

Why did Grant come in after James fouled out instead of Cooney when they were trying to foul? Grant is useless against pressure and I think I'd rather have Cooney's FT shooting. Rotate them in and out for defense/offense.

I think MCW is going to see Oladipo for most of the game Thurs. That could be problematic.
Definitely. Otherwise, MCW will dominate Ferrell or Hulls. Triche is going to have to step up against those two if we are going to have any chance of beating them. MCW/Oladipo is going to be a tough, tough matchup. The size, athleticism and quickness of Oladipo is something MCW hasn't had to face.

He did take it to the rim, but in a loser goes home environment, you have to exploit the weakness of the other team until they find a solution.
I think this cliche gets a little too much run. Yes, it appeared to me that MCW had an advantage getting to the rim. But do you really do it all the time until they find the solution? Then at the end, if the game gets tight, then what? Cal would then have taken away our best option.

As it was yesterday, if Cal had converted one of their chances and tightened it up, JB still could use a yet unsolved MCW drive to the basket in crunch time.

MCW is going to come out gangbusters on Thursday. You watch. Losing his family home will be a motivator. This team will rally around that. Neither Temple nor Indiana wants to play us right now, you can bet on that. Right now we're playing with house money and have zero to lose. The pressure will be on Indiana. JB loves being the underdog. And don't discount how big it is for us to be in DC. We have the revenge factor on Temple and the upset factor on Indiana. SU is in a good position. Now if we can just start making our chippies and FT's, we'll be in good shape. It hurts when you get to the tin and blow the layup. We're lucky that Cal looked like Oklahoma 2003 against our zone, for most of the game anyway.

How about Jimmy getting him out of there with 1 minute to go in the first half and 2 fouls?????? how bad can you get hurt in 1 minute? Poor game management.
Thank you - same thing in the L-ville game and when he got his 4th I was like uh-oh, but at least Cal wasn't the caliber of Cal. I know John Chaney's rule was if someone got 2 fouls on him in the 1st half he didn't play anymore till after halftime. JB should take the same approach. If you recall MCW had 2 fouls last Sat too against L-ville and though for sure he was going to get his 3rd but instead JS did.

It's not about a season long trend, or what he should be doing any other night, it's about the fact that one hard to dribble and he was losing his man every time last night. I thought he could have made it to the rim a lot more - keep exploiting it till they adjust.

All year our guards do not come to the ball when inbounding against pressure. MCW makes one move and then stands there like he's glued to the floor. BT looks like he just doesn't want the ball period. They don't give the trigger man any angle. Passing in to Southerland almost always results in a TO because he can't put it on the floor without losing it. Don't understand why this fundamental basketball play hasn't been worked on and corrected. Notice that just about every other team the last couple days can do it...well except for Akron.

This is all very true.

I think this cliche gets a little too much run. Yes, it appeared to me that MCW had an advantage getting to the rim. But do you really do it all the time until they find the solution? Then at the end, if the game gets tight, then what? Cal would then have taken away our best option.

As it was yesterday, if Cal had converted one of their chances and tightened it up, JB still could use a yet unsolved MCW drive to the basket in crunch time.
Yes, I really do think you run it every time down court. And when they bring help, trust MCW to notice and distribute accordingly. You instruct all the players, that if their man leaves them to double, they head straight to the rim and MCW can just put it up near the rim. Demoralize the defense, if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom