Okay...time for some negatives | Syracusefan.com

Okay...time for some negatives

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Or as my boss says... "opportunities". Tons of props to this team on Monday for getting a huge win- Howard's second half, the first half fueled by Battle's aggression and Hughes' shooting, Chukwu's key plays late. Huge.

Have to make a few comments though that I think most can agree with.

1. I have never seen a team worse on a 2 on 1 fast break. This is one of the highest percentage opportunities that exists in this game outside of a 1 on 0 break and we are absolutely terrible at it. What happened to simple passing back and forth? We watched Oshae (point 2 coming) dribble off his knee instead of making a simple pass to Howard (I believe) in the first half. Then we watched Howard attempt a lob to Battle in the second half that was thrown too late, instead of a simple bounce pass. This doesn't even cover the times someone attacks 1 on 2 and doesn't convert (Carey has plenty of these). I LOVE the emphasis on transition and you are never going to convert 100% of the chances you get, but it's unbelievable we are so bad at making simple passes in obvious 2 on 1 situations. We can be better.

2. Oshae. It's strange. Still an elite rebounder and I am confident he can make 3s at a decent clip throughout ACC play (hoping mid-30s, like last year), but otherwise? I don't know. I think we need to eliminate the passes to Oshae at the elbow, where he dribbles out, does that dribble between his legs that looks in slow motion and goes nowhere. Very shaky dribble and tends to head right into people. Hughes, Battle, and Howard should always be the ones looking to penetrate. Oshae should be tailor made to slash to the hoop off of guard penetration or crash the offensive glass. The problem, as has been discussed on here often, is the struggles he has finishing inside. Has been talked about ad nauseam but it's been warranted... never seen anything quite like it. He's actually better this year than last year. I am not sure the best spot for Brissett in this offense. Everyone else seems to have a general role, even though the production is not consistent from game to game (see Marek, centers). He's still very young and providing much needed contributions through volume, but it's frustrating because there is so much room to be better.

Team has so much opportunity to improve, and more importantly, be more consistent.

Last edited:
Agree on both. We also continue to take some pretty low percentage shots off zero passes. Battle is the only guy who has a reasonable chance of making those on most nights but even then you have to think there should be better shots available. Brissett is a great example, when he tries to create his own three he shoots about 10%, when he is set up for a three like most of the shots he took at Duke, he shoots about 55%.

need the General to run a fast break clinic

syracuses-sherman-douglas-heads-up-the-sideline-against-the-of-ct-picture-id134913345

Man the fast break thing is so frustrating. Does the 3-on-2, 2-on-1 drill no longer exist? Seems like it should be back to the basics for these guys, as they are apparently incapable of consistently converting odd-man breaks into points.

Man the fast break thing is so frustrating. Does the 3-on-2, 2-on-1 drill no longer exist? Seems like it should be back to the basics for these guys, as they are apparently incapable of consistently converting odd-man breaks into points.
It's seems like its either: I'm just gonna dribble through this defender and do it myself or, here is a pass at a100 mph - good luck!

What's Scoop up to? He's the greatest fast break leader I've watched in orange (I'm 28). Bring him in to show the guys a thing or two cuz when he had the ball during a fast break, points were going to be scored, period.

Or as my boss says... "opportunities". Tons of props to this team on Monday for getting a huge win- Howard's second half, the first half fueled by Battle's aggression and Hughes' shooting, Chukwu's key plays late. Huge.

1. I have never seen a team worse on a 2 on 1 fast break. This is one of the highest percentage opportunities that exists in this game outside of a 1 on 0 break and we are absolutely terrible at it. What happened to simple passing back and forth? We watched Oshae (point 2 coming) dribble off his knee instead of making a simple pass to Howard (I believe) in the first half. Then we watched Howard attempt a lob to Battle in the second half that was thrown too late, instead of a simple bounce pass. This doesn't even cover the times someone attacks 1 on 2 and doesn't convert (Carey has plenty of these). I LOVE the emphasis on transition and you are never going to convert 100% of the chances you get, but it's unbelievable we are so bad at making simple passes in obvious 2 on 1 situations. We can be better.

2. Oshae. It's strange. Still an elite rebounder and I am confident he can make 3s at a decent clip throughout ACC play (hoping mid-30s, like last year), but otherwise? I don't know. I think we need to eliminate the passes to Oshae at the elbow, where he dribbles out, does that dribble between his legs that looks in slow motion and goes nowhere. Very shaky dribble and tends to head right into people. Hughes, Battle, and Howard should always be the ones looking to penetrate. Oshae should be tailor made to slash to the hoop off of guard penetration or crash the offensive glass. The problem, as has been discussed on here often, is the struggles he has finishing inside. Has been talked about ad nauseam but it's been warranted... never seen anything quite like it. He's actually better this year than last year. I am not sure the best spot for Brissett in this offense. Everyone else seems to have a general role, even though the production is not consistent from game to game (see Marek, centers). He's still very young and providing much needed contributions through volume, but it's frustrating because there is so much room to be better.

Team has so much opportunity to improve, and more importantly, be more consistent.

Oshae is still so indecisive. Do I wanna take it to the rim? Do I wanna pull up? Do I wanna drop it in? Do I wanna dunk? Should I stand here at the 3 point line? Should I cut to the hoop?

He’s thinking too much. Pick one and do it.

The fast break stuff is madness. That late lob from Frank had me through the roof p.o.’ed. He could have just thrown a simple bounce pass. Carey just puts his head down and goes - he’s gotta be better at keeping his head up and finding the wing or the drop off pass.

Agree on all points. Also on our 2-on-1 fastbreaks, we usually go up for a contested layup/dunk instead of dropping it behind to the trailer for a wide open dunk. We did this with Zion/RJ in pursuit and it led to either missed/blocked layups, or foul shots (when we usually make 65%), instead of a wide open, arena silencing, momentum-gaining, timeout-inducing, dunk.

I think there’s greater offenders of that

If OB doesn't score in double digits he doesn't rebound more than 5 in said game. He is literally the definition of what you're saying. He surely doesn't do anything else on offense either.

Awesome post. Never passing the ball on 2-1 fast breaks is what has been infuriating me the most. It’s something that’s been going on for a few years and I’m harping on it all the time because it makes me so mad. What are these coaches teaching them? I thought they ran the UCLA drill in practice every day. Maybe the coaches think they’re all terrible passers on the break, so they’re just telling them to go all the way? I really hope that’s not the case. Teach them to do it correctly! And use a bounce pass sometimes! I’ve gotta believe that our players just arent executing during the game correctly. I’ve been happy with the way Elijah gets out and fills the lanes in transition. Now we need Oshae and Marek to do that!

If OB was even a mediocre finisher, this team probably has 6+ less losses (and counting) since his arrival. Several buckets a game.

Outside of the GT game (and really, the lack of urgency started the couple before that), this team plays hard, just not smart. There's things that can be taught and coached, but there's a lack of pure basketball instincts on this team. It's an issue that's gradually gotten worse the more we've recruited for the zone and the more JB has pushed for slow tempo, grinding offense. We've been lucky in the past that deeper backcourts, especially ball handlers, could mask that. The last few years, that hasn't existed.

Hard to believe we were thinking Oshae might go to the draft after last year. Now the question is, "Can Oshae develop a feel for the game by the time he finishes his four years here?"

Hard to believe we were thinking Oshae might go to the draft after last year. Now the question is, "Can Oshae develop a feel for the game by the time he finishes his four years here?"

Whomever thought that shouldn’t be predicting drafts.

Agree on all points. Also on our 2-on-1 fastbreaks, we usually go up for a contested layup/dunk instead of dropping it behind to the trailer for a wide open dunk. We did this with Zion/RJ in pursuit and it led to either missed/blocked layups, or foul shots (when we usually make 65%), instead of a wide open, arena silencing, momentum-gaining, timeout-inducing, dunk.
So I think the pass backwards should rarely be used as it can lead to charges simply because it allows more time for a defender to get “set”, whatever that means. But I agree... that option exists too. We rarely make the shovel pass backwards and we rarely advance the ball forwards to the open guy quick enough. It’s weird.

Who is the assistant sitting inbetween Bernie and the Syracuse sign?
I think that was a student manager if I recall correctly. I was an SU student during this time and remember that kid (he's in his 50s by now)

Last edited:
3. carey was completely undressed by tre jones. jalen looked like a deer in the headlights - did they never face each other in summer ball?

4. marek looked like a typical sophomore out there . . . a high school sophomore. the physicality - not just zion, all of the dukies - overwhelmed him. and at what point can we expect the really stupid fouls to end?

5. i don't really have anything bad to say about bourama, for a moment i thought he was going to be able to hold his own, but 3 fouls in 3 minutes deserves a note. two of them were the fault of his teammates, imo, but still . . .

It's so consistently done now (attacking without passing) that I'm beginning to wonder if it is now taught that way as an attempt to get the foul, and not just the bucket. I hate it. It almost never works.

So I think the pass backwards should rarely be used as it can lead to charges simply because it allows more time for a defender to get “set”, whatever that means. But I agree... that option exists too. We rarely make the shovel pass backwards and we rarely advance the ball forwards to the open guy quick enough. It’s weird.

And the passer often fails to stop his momentum enough and ends up getting the charge called on him.

Want a negative?

We are the same team that got humiliated at home by Ga Tech.

That actually did happen.

So while the Duke win is a fun distraction we are the team that had the other.

Which team shows up the rest of the way?

We haven't done anything yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom