Oklahoma hires Brent Venables | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oklahoma hires Brent Venables

Well it looks like it's over for us according to this thread. Anyone have any suggestions on a new team for me?
giphy.gif

Well it looks like it's over for us according to this thread. Anyone have any suggestions on a new team for me?
Pretty sure the most damning thing said is it should make Clemson easier to beat. I mean you lost one of the best DCs in football, a spaz, but a spaz that seems like a Mensa level schemer. I think the biggest thing going against you is figuring out if DJU is the guy or not. By Clemson standards you have a below average QB and a will have a new DC. That should benefit anyone not named Clemson. But you'll still have better players top to bottom on your two deep than any other team in the ACC. So ::shrug::

Pretty sure the most damning thing said is it should make Clemson easier to beat. I mean you lost one of the best DCs in football, a spaz, but a spaz that seems like a Mensa level schemer. I think the biggest thing going against you is figuring out if DJU is the guy or not. By Clemson standards you have a below average QB and a will have a new DC. That should benefit anyone not named Clemson. But you'll still have better players top to bottom on your two deep than any other team in the ACC. So ::shrug::
I should have used the sarcasm font...

What are the odds this actually works out, 10%?

Clemson dropped off because QB play, OL play, and DL play

They were at elite levels for a decade. Once that dropped back to very good, they suffered some losses that weren't expected

Their wins were just as concerning as the losses. They looked the same against Ohio State last year.

Hopefully Tony Elliot goes to an ACC Atlantic team. Clemsons offense was super basic and vanilla under him.

BV will be a loss but he won't.

We'll see how they look with a new QB. DJU is terrible. Wonder where he will transfer to.

Reactions: gbo
Think he will do well for the talent is there in TX/OK and with OU being a national football power…is a plus. Tornadoes a minus.
Most tornado outbreaks have shifted to the Deep South and lower Tennessee valley in the last 10-15 years.

All these hires are such a crap shoot - OU is only 2 hires away from the Gary Gibbs and John Blake eras. Things can go south fast if you tab the wrong guy especially in a rushed setting when you lose your previous coach.

On that note let's keep our Clemson buddies a good 500 miles away from Tony White amidst all this too.

What are the odds this actually works out, 10%?
Venables at OU? I think it will be ok. We have high expectations and if he gets the Ole Miss OC, who is a great recruiter and an OU alum, then that will certainly help.

I'm not thrilled as I really wanted Fickell though OU wasn't willing to wait. Short-sighted by the AD though good for Fickell for holding out to coach in the CFP and not bail on his team.

Venables at OU? I think it will be ok. We have high expectations and if he gets the Ole Miss OC, who is a great recruiter and an OU alum, then that will certainly help.

I'm not thrilled as I really wanted Fickell though OU wasn't willing to wait. Short-sighted by the AD though good for Fickell for holding out to coach in the CFP and not bail on his team.
Fickell will probably be the Detroit Lions coach next year.