Oklahoma is about to say Bye Bye to the Big 12 | Syracusefan.com

Oklahoma is about to say Bye Bye to the Big 12

i cant even see the smoke anymore.

the fire is just too bright.

realignment....

its......

ON

:noidea:

To me this is the biggest realignment story so far. This could be the last crack.

Kansas and K State to the BE. Does this mark the split from the b'ball onlys?

latest ESPN report is that Okl may announce as early as 3 days...up to 3 weeks...this could really spark a schism that will not be filled without multiple conference changes...and perhaps a split in BE with football teams going and picking up two or more of present Big 12 teams and maybe some from east coast to get to 16...wow...

I don't know anything, but the sec has southern teams, PAC 12 west coast teamS, big 10 Midwestern teams, acc north carolina teams and some scraps mostly south of north Carolina. The acc's only option is to expand north to get more viewers. The big east has some o the biggest mArkets in the country period. I would sAy uconn, Pitt, Syracuse, west Virginia could be locks for the acc. Rutgirls would get considered if their basketball team wasn't complete trash. The big 12 is dead so why bother mentioning that. I do not want the big east with big 12 scraps, no way I would go to a game in Kansas or mizzou, when most of the Syracuse alumnus are in the northeast.

NORMAN, Okla. -- University of Oklahoma president David Boren says multiple conferences have shown interest in the Sooners recently and he expects to decide whether to leave the Big 12 or not within the next three weeks.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ren-says-school-interest-multiple-conferences
I said as soon as I heard that Texas A&M was leaving, that they could use a team like Oklahoma as a rival. Oklahoma is a tremendous brand name, and that's what it's all about from now on in college sports. Texas acted like they were better and more important than everyone else in the Big 12, and pretty soon, there will be no conference for them to play in. Serves them right.

Latest rumors from a story on Syracuse.Com about the Big 12 raiding the Big East: "The Big 12 is considering a raid of the Big East for at least two teams and perhaps more. The names I heard from multiple sources were Pittsburgh and Rutgers, but I have to believe others, including Louisville and West Virginia, are in play."

The Big East becomes Conference USA if we lose Pitt or WVU to the Big 12.

But with the BE contract coming up soon, might be best to stay with BE from a $$ standpoint.

But how long will the BE's $$$ advantage last? The current economics in college athletics point to football and not basketball being the more valuable commodity. While ACC football is only marginally better (if at all), it has bigger name programs with more upside than the BE. I would like Syracuse to join the ACC because it keeps SU in a conference that makes a little geographic sense.

I heard the 3 teams they would explore to get back to a conference of 12 is WV, Pitt, and Louisville

Call a convention. Have everybody make whatever deals they want. Then let things settle. Let rivalries develop. Give us some sense of continuity.

I hate doing everything incrementally with the conferences being like amoebas or predators. I hate the rumors and the akleidoscopic images of what will be.

I heard the 3 teams they would explore to get back to a conference of 12 is WV, Pitt, and Louisville

Texas would have to ante up some huge dollars to get those teams to join. If not, all three would be walking into the same crap scenario that Nebraska, A&M, and now Oklahoma are walking away from. I don't see Texas doing that. Texas will go independent before they have to split money again. The B12 is in desperation mode now. They are like the Titanic, once great and mighty in name and stature, seemingly unsinkable, but beneath it all completely flawed and exposed. The water is through the cracks and pouring over the water tight bulkheads. The ship is listing heavily. Adding weight to the other side isn't going to make a bit of difference. Meanwhile Capt. Texas has his plush and private lifeboat waiting for him to jump off at the last minute.

Not sure any BE team going to the B12 makes a whole lot of long term sense, besides TCU, and the Big 12 doesn't even want them.

No, I think the Big 12 is in it's death throes and grabbing for any floating debris it can to stay above water. This is a case of the Conference vs. Texas, and Texas is going to win.

Kansas wants in with the BE. That is not an issue. They would jump in heartbeat. Basketball drives that bus. KSU is being towed by that bus. The boys in Rhode Island better be ready to make a move. I think they are.

For me, the ACC is the most attractive dance partner

Why? I dont think Maryland, Duke, UNC or NCST are going to infuse a lot of energy for football at the Dome. Michigan, Wisconsin, OSU, PSU etc. would sell the Dome out. B10 bball isnt as bad as people think; MSU, OSU and UW are good while Indiana is well on its way back. While it would take a perfect storm and then some to ever win the football conference, bball championships would probably be easier than now. And we would go back to Indy status in LAX. Plus, I'd rather travel to Indianapolis or Chicago for the bball tournament than go to Duke/UNC's backyard for the ACC tourney.

I would take a B1G invite over the ACC in a heartbeat... but somehow I feel that they don't care as much since they have so much money. We would all prefer the B1G but I don't know if they will ever invite us. The northeast market is here for the taking with the big east teams, and the only way to get the B1G network in New York, CT, and NJ to be on standard cable would be to add the schools.

I don't see Texas doing that. Texas will go independent before they have to split money again.
If Texas ever goes independent, it would drive me crazy if the Big East offered them non-football membership.

If Texas ever goes independent, it would drive me crazy if the Big East offered them non-football membership.
That thought actually popped into my head last night. If the B12 imlodes, where are they going to send their other sports if they go indy in football? No other major conference wants the hybrid model. It wouldnt surprise me if ND consults with them and tells them how great partial BE membership is. There is no doubt that the bball schools would like it since Texas is better than probably all of them and will add value. Could the BE force Texas to play BE schools in the same way ND has to? Would Texas strengthen our bowl ties? Would adding Texas simply allow for the fball schools to split from bball? Does the popularity of UT and the LHN outdraw the combined markets of the bball-only schools?

NORMAN, Okla. -- University of Oklahoma president David Boren says multiple conferences have shown interest in the Sooners recently and he expects to decide whether to leave the Big 12 or not within the next three weeks.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ren-says-school-interest-multiple-conferences
The Big10 must be really trying to figure out what to do. On one hand, I think the idea of adding OK to complement Nebraska must be very appealing to them. On the other hand, I think they still covet some additional penetration into the East.

If OK/OKSt go to SEC, that will squash any plans of raiding the ACC beyond perhaps one team. A lot of things will hinge on what OK does now.

It's time for conference America... A NE division and South Central Division... Play some cross overs and have a championship game... Play whole division in FB and 2 or 3 crossovers... Same for BB... Ask ND... Basketball only's let them come along for the ride... Sell two regional TV packages, and one National... Maybe use ND to help with Tv package... Do this before B10 and ACC raid... Ask BC back...

NE Division:

Pitt, SU, Nova, Rutgers, Uconn, Prov, SH etc...

South central
Louisville, TCU, S Florida, DePaul, KSU, Kansas, W Va, Cincy, ND(BB) etc...

I live in Norman and the consensus here is that OU is going to the PAC-12. Boren is big on academics and OU was ready to make the jump to the PAC last year. Stoops was even overheard mentioning how cool it would be to play out west. The main draw of the SEC is the amount of money and competition that it would provide for the fans. One issue is OK. State, as most here believe they are a package (which the SEC wants no part of OSU).

If any Big East team were to go to the Big 12 it will be Louisville. The only other Big East schools that I could see leaving to the Big 12 would be USF and Cincy. No chance that Pitt or WVA will go to the Big 12. Another candidate for the Big 12 is apparently BYU. Would OU stay in the conference if BYU, Louisville and either TCU/SMU/Houston join? I would think not, although who knows. Another thing is that Boren really wants to get this done now, and is that enough time for the Big 12 to get these commitments from other schools? OU also has a bye week next week so there could be an announcement next week.

As an SU alum, I would love for us to get into the Big 10, especially since I'm moving to Ohio in a month. I like the ACC as the next best option.