OL DC | Syracusefan.com

OL DC

GoSU96

Living Legend
Assuming More is ready by Purdue I’m going to assume Bradford bumps down.

If Ellis is ever healthy what would you do? Keep him on the bench or who sits?

Assuming Ellis can go you’d have a second unit of three interior guys, Ellis, Ilaoa, Bradford, and a swing Tackle in JCruz. Good Enough?

We will know more by the time Army is over but I think the ingredients are there to be a decent mid tier ACC line.

Assuming Ellis can go you’d have a second unit of three interior guys, Ellis, Ilaoa, Bradford, and a swing Tackle in JCruz. Good Enough?

We will know more by the time Army is over but I think the ingredients are there to be a decent mid tier ACC line.
amen brother absolutely no reason it doesn't pan out like that. And the result of a mid tier ACC OL panning out means a GREAT season.

I think Bleich would be on notice. Is he better than Ellis?

Add Mark Petry to the mix of reserves. He tends to be over looked on this board.

I am not going to assume anything about the OGs (Bleich, Ellis, Bradford, More). Bradford looked good in lots of reps. How do Ellis and More compare? Are they practicing? Is Ellis in game shape?

At least we will have options and reserves when everyone is healthy.

The OL depth is improved, so trending properly, just at a deliberate pace. But I am worried about injuries, especially at the tackle spots, where I think there is a bigger drop off than inside. I just have trouble trusting R-frosh and sophomore depth pieces at tackle. Curious if Joe Cruz is the swing tackle or anchored at LT (I hope swing)?

OL threads are always intriguing for SU. Constant WIP. At LG, depth chart has Bleich playing over Ellis, and at RG Bradford is playing over More. My suspicion, with Bleich finally healthy, is that if Ellis comes back Bleich might move to RG with Bradford backing him up, and More moves over to RT.

Last edited:
The OL depth is improved, so trending properly, just at a deliberate pace. But I am worried about injuries, especially at the tackle spots, where I think there is a bigger drop off than inside. I just have trouble trusting R-frosh and sophomore depth pieces at tackle. Curious if Joe Cruz is the swing tackle or anchored at LT (I hope swing)?
More could also move over to RT if needed.

OL threads are always intriguing for SU. Constant issues. At LG, depth chart has Bleich playing over Ellis, and at RG Bradford is playing over More. My suspicion, with Bleich finally healthy, that if Ellis comes back Bleich might play at RG, Bradford backing him up, and More moves over to RT.
Definitely an option.

The owies have given a couple of OL's a chance to show if they deserve snaps. I can't pretend to know the intricacies of what they do and who plays where but can often see holes and pockets. I really turn to you guys regarding this even though I've always been a big how the OL goes the O goes person.

Communication is huge as well as talent and I don't think WMU will blitz like Purdue will but hope they do to get ready for that game.

I hope all are healthy to go by then.

If More is healthy, I assume he slots into the starting lineup. He played with the 1's most of camp, on the right side. If Wohlabaugh is entrenched at RT, More shifts inside. His injury sounded minor [sprained ankle], and the coaches probably don't want him to have his first D1 game be on the road, at Purdue in a tough matchup. So I expect him to be out there Saturday in order to get the jitters out and get a game under his belt.

Bradford did fine last Saturday, he's serviceable. If More isn't ready, then he'll start again.

Ellis probably doesn't see the field, given that he missed most of summer camp. Doubtful that conditioning is where it needs to be, either. I think he's the one who works in slowly when he's cleared, and maybe makes a push as the season goes in. But probably not right away.

Second unit shapes up as Petry / Ilaoa / Bradford / Cruz. Ellis gets some time if he can play, if not we roll with 9.

Petry and Cruz both played LT against Colgate, and presumably can play RT. More can also play RT, so I think we're good.

Need Enrique Cruz to do a better job [we all saw the PFF ratings from Colgate] to nail down the LT spot. I think we have the depth / positional versatility to be good at the tackle positions otherwise.

Kalan Ellis never redshirted. Depending on his health he could redshirt this year or theoretically play four games and still redshirt? Or is that rule only for true freshman.

If More is healthy, I assume he slots into the starting lineup. He played with the 1's most of camp, on the right side. If Wohlabaugh is entrenched at RT, More shifts inside. His injury sounded minor [sprained ankle], and the coaches probably don't want him to have his first D1 game be on the road, at Purdue in a tough matchup. So I expect him to be out there Saturday in order to get the jitters out and get a game under his belt.

Bradford did fine last Saturday, he's serviceable. If More isn't ready, then he'll start again.

Ellis probably doesn't see the field, given that he missed most of summer camp. Doubtful that conditioning is where it needs to be, either. I think he's the one who works in slowly when he's cleared, and maybe makes a push as the season goes in. But probably not right away.

Second unit shapes up as Petry / Ilaoa / Bradford / Cruz. Ellis gets some time if he can play, if not we roll with 9.

Petry and Cruz both played LT against Colgate, and presumably can play RT. More can also play RT, so I think we're good.

Need Enrique Cruz to do a better job [we all saw the PFF ratings from Colgate] to nail down the LT spot. I think we have the depth / positional versatility to be good at the tackle positions otherwise.
This is what I wanted to say but didn't get it done. :cool:

Last edited:
I think Bleich would be on notice. Is he better than Ellis?

I am an Ellis fan, so I'm not saying this to be critical.

Kid is HUGE. He's also got pretty good feet for a guy that size. So I was really excited about him getting a shot as a true frosh.

But he doesn't play as "strong" as you'd expect from a kid his size. And his weight has ballooned to an unsustainable size [360+] that can't help his stamina, and probably puts too much stress on his body / joints.
I'll own this as my opinion only, but there's no question that he would be better off playing around 330 [accounting for him being a bigger bodied, Pacific islander type of build]. For him to optimize his capabilities and stamina, he needs to get in better shape.

A kid his size should destroy whoever he squares off against, but too often he struggles to open holes. Getting stronger would help. So would shedding some excessive weight.

But playing at 375 like he was listed at prior to camp starting? Too heavy.

Kalan Ellis never redshirted. Depending on his health he could redshirt this year or theoretically play four games and still redshirt? Or is that rule only for true freshman.
I believe that rule can be used regardless of class.

I am an Ellis fan, so I'm not saying this to be critical.

Kid is HUGE. He's also got pretty good feet for a guy that size. So I was really excited about him getting a shot as a true frosh.

But he doesn't play as "strong" as you'd expect from a kid his size. And his weight has ballooned to an unsustainable size [360+] that can't help his stamina, and probably puts too much stress on his body / joints.
I'll own this as my opinion only, but there's no question that he would be better off playing around 330 [accounting for him being a bigger bodied, Pacific islander type of build]. For him to optimize his capabilities and stamina, he needs to get in better shape.

A kid his size should destroy whoever he squares off against, but too often he struggles to open holes. Getting stronger would help. So would shedding some excessive weight.

But playing at 375 like he was listed at prior to camp starting? Too heavy.
If he can't get into an area where his weight is better, they should just redshift him this year.

If he can't get into an area where his weight is better, they should just redshift him this year.

Which they might need to do anyway, depending on the severity of his injury.

That said, if the coaches believe he can play / contribute, even in a reserve capacity -- I think you have to play him. I'll defer to their judgement on that.

But we need all the depth we can get at OL. Redshirting is a luxury -- this team is poised for big things if they can get the OL squared away.

One potentially interesting thing that is maybe on the table if Ellis doesn't get healthy and ready for game action... he still has a redshirt available.

Edit: I was too slow to post this.

Not sure what more you can do. Its hard to get 2 junior lineman w/ experience as back ups or depth pieces.

Great thread. Have learned a lot.
Took a few views to decipher Rocky's lecture. He knows his stuff.

images

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom