Class of 2016 - OL Jack Wohlabaugh (OH) Committed to Ohio State/Transferring to Duke | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OL Jack Wohlabaugh (OH) Committed to Ohio State/Transferring to Duke

CuseOnly said:
I was not against either of them, I was actually for both and I like both of them for different reasons. I understand not paying a HC a lot until they are proven (Shafer/Marrone), my issue is not looking for a big name proven coach when you have the opportunity because you want to cheap out. I don't want Shafer fired, I want him successful...but my question would be, what are we going to get if he is fired? Another coordinator that we can pay $1-1.5 mil? That appears to be the pattern and the MO of SU. I would prefer to keep Shafer another 4 years with mediocre results and learning on the job than do that horrible dance again. If they aren't going to spend the money then they better not fire him. If they are going to spend $4 mil/year on a coach then by all means get rid of him if we don' win 16-18 games over the next 2 years.

Syracuse has never gone after the super coach and mega contract, that I know of. But they have gone after the next tier down. While some SU fans did not like them, nationally Holtz and Edsall were considered very good young coaches and we offered them approximately $2.2m and $2m respectively. And that was 6 years ago when we hired Marrone. Marrone didn't command that kind of money because he had zero head coach experience. It's not just the money, it's also who you want. Then you pay accordingly.

Syracuse has never gone after the super coach and mega contract, that I know of. But they have gone after the next tier down. While some SU fans did not like them, nationally Holtz and Edsall were considered very good young coaches and we offered them approximately $2.2m and $2m respectively. And that was 6 years ago when we hired Marrone. Marrone didn't command that kind of money because he had zero head coach experience. It's not just the money, it's also who you want. Then you pay accordingly.

Thank God we didn't make those mistakes. I totally understand...but why are 70% of all D1 colleges including non P5 paying their HC more?

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

Schools that pay their HC more than SU:
UCONN
Fresno State
Kansas
Navy
Boston College
Iowa State
Illinois
Pitt
NC State - Hasn't he been there like 10 min?
South Florida - LOL
BYU
UCF
Arizona
North Carolina
Minnesota
SMU
Texas Tech
Duke
Maryland
Kentucky
WAKE FOREST for God's sake
Vanderbilt
Miami
Purdue
Virginia
Utah
Colorado
Washington State
Cal
Arizona State
Georgia Tech
West Virginia
Oregon State
Cincinnati
Tennessee
Washington
Louisville - Loser Petrino gets paid more than out HC

Not asking for the "super head coach mega contract" but we don't even offer average. I have to assume that our assistants get paid peanuts too.

As with anything in life...you get what you pay for.

CuseOnly said:
Thank God we didn't make those mistakes. I totally understand...but why are 70% of all D1 colleges including non P5 paying their HC more? http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm Schools that pay their HC more than SU: UCONN Fresno State Kansas Navy Boston College Iowa State Illinois Pitt NC State - Hasn't he been there like 10 min? South Florida - LOL BYU UCF Arizona North Carolina Minnesota SMU Texas Tech Duke Maryland Kentucky WAKE FOREST for God's sake Vanderbilt Miami Purdue Virginia Utah Colorado Washington State Cal Arizona State Georgia Tech West Virginia Oregon State Cincinnati Tennessee Washington Louisville - Loser Petrino gets paid more than out HC Not asking for the "super head coach mega contract" but we don't even offer average. I have to assume that our assistants get paid peanuts too. As with anything in life...you get what you pay for.

They pay more because the hire coaches that command more. Again, you must not have wanted Marrone nor Shafer. Neither command more than what they got.

Yea I'm not getting this, just because you pay more doesn't mean they are better coaches.

I'm happy with the HC salary for a first contract unproven guy. I would like to see the overall salary pool be increased a bit at the expense of some lesser sports if needed. Having top assistants / recruiters / position coaches is almost more important than the HC.

They pay more because the hire coaches that command more. Again, you must not have wanted Marrone nor Shafer. Neither command more than what they got.

You must have missed my earlier post or just not read it and responded anyway. Read below.

I was not against either of them, I was actually for both and I like both of them for different reasons. I understand not paying a HC a lot until they are proven (Shafer/Marrone), my issue is not looking for a big name proven coach when you have the opportunity because you want to cheap out.

I don't want Shafer fired, I want him successful...but my question would be, what are we going to get if he is fired? Another coordinator that we can pay $1-1.5 mil? That appears to be the pattern and the MO of SU. I would prefer to keep Shafer another 4 years with mediocre results and learning on the job than do that horrible dance again.

If they aren't going to spend the money then they better not fire him. If they are going to spend $4 mil/year on a coach then by all means get rid of him if we don' win 16-18 games over the next 2 years.

Well I have been watching him for a few weeks as he and Mulbah were following each other. He redshirted his freshman year and doesn't appear to have played last year.

Sigh. The Syracuse football program that the son has witnessed is not the same one his father played for. Dino can fix that.

This young man sure would have filled a position of need no doubt. That said I don't lose to much sleep with legacy recruits. While it certainly makes a nice story and in some situations the guy is a player, I kind of respect the fact the young men want to hoe their own road so to speak and perhaps make their own name. Good luck to the guy, he is going to likely walk with a Duke degree and while I am not a Duke lover, if my son started out life with a degree from Duke I would be fine with that.(Though I would be sporting the Cuse colors every visit)

We don't know whether the current staff even wanted him. We do know that the staff wants upperclass players that can help right away if they do go that route. He wouldn't have been able to do that even if they were interested.