OL Speculation | Syracusefan.com

OL Speculation

GoSU96

Living Legend
First note is 10 of what I see as the top 13 are upperclassmen. The other three are Joe Cruz - So, Mack RF, Miller RF. I don’t think any of the true freshman and in play this year.

I think Reed, Washington and Weatherspoon are locked in. Leaves the two guard spots open. If you want to go with a “five best” approach you could kick ECJr and Dave W inside. If Dave isn’t an answer for whatever reason you can go with experience in Petry or size with Moeolo (349) or Hornsby (322). If they went with Moeolo the average across the line would be 331 and 6 8, 6 6, 6 3, 6 6, 6 7. That’s crazy big.

Lots of options at guard and settling the second unit at tackle is what I see as the open issues.

First note is 10 of what I see as the top 13 are upperclassmen. The other three are Joe Cruz - So, Mack RF, Miller RF. I don’t think any of the true freshman and in play this year.

I think Reed, Washington and Weatherspoon are locked in. Leaves the two guard spots open. If you want to go with a “five best” approach you could kick ECJr and Dave W inside. If Dave isn’t an answer for whatever reason you can go with experience in Petry or size with Moeolo (349) or Hornsby (322). If they went with Moeolo the average across the line would be 331 and 6 8, 6 6, 6 3, 6 6, 6 7. That’s crazy big.

Lots of options at guard and settling the second unit at tackle is what I see as the open issues.
Mark Petry seems to have consistently been praised by coaches and is a group leader. I would be shocked if he's not a starter.

We're going to have an in-the-pocket passer and a straight ahead running game so having a huge line can be an advantage. If you need linemen whose blocking target isn't going to be right in front of them, we need guys who can move, not just move people out.

What we might see coming out of Fall Camp:

1's - LT>Savion W. LG>M. Petry C>Reed RG>Hornsby RT>Spoon
2's - LT>E. Cruz, Jr. LG>Moeolo C>Ilaoa RG>Bradford RT> Mack

Candidates for OL rotation: Miller (RSF); Wahl (recovering from injury) and J. Cruz (RSS)

Note: If this starting group holds, not one is a HS recruit. They're all transfers (Washington, Spoon, Hornsby, Petry) or JUCO (Reed). Petry is from Germany and transferred from a CC. Pretty cool.

[Edit - the OP is "OL Speculation"]

Last edited:
What we might see coming out of Fall Camp:

1's - LT>Savion W. LG>M. Petry C>Reed RG>Hornsby RT>Spoon
2's - LT>E. Cruz, Jr. LG>Moeolo C>Ilaoa RG>Bradford RT> Mack

Candidates for OL rotation: Miller (RSF); Wahl (recovering from injury) and J. Cruz (RSS)

Note: If this starting group holds, not one is a HS recruit. They're all transfers (Washington, Spoon, Hornsby, Petry) or JUCO (Reed). Petry is from Germany and transferred from a CC. Pretty cool.

I think truly the 1s and 2s on this line will be constantly rotating in and out

I think truly the 1s and 2s on this line will be constantly rotating in and out
I have mixed feelings about this. Yes we want to have 8-10 OL who are battle tested and can play effectively, but OL is probably the position that benefits the most from gelling together - how/ when to move off double teams, where to assist in pass protection, etc.

I want both.