Class of 2019 - OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC) Grad Transfer from UT Offered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC) Grad Transfer from UT Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this guy strikes me as a guy who is where he is because of his athleticism.

He only played in two games for Iowa Western in 2018 and redshirted in 2019 for Texas. He opted out for the 2020 season.

His bio on Texas's website says he was mostly a D-lineman in high school and switched to Offensive Line for Iowa Western.

He brings size for sure. He does not bring experience.

wasnt iowa western a school the featured teams played in Last CHance U?

Grad transfer with 3 years remaining. That’s kind of unusual. Being from Wisconsin, I can’t imagine the weather is an issue for him. And SU’s strength staff is outstanding. That has to be a big plus.

Are we involved, or is this just pie in the sky?
According to a local online article, SU has offered and he has talked with the coaches. Doesn’t sound like a decision will be made too quickly though. Just my take.

For kicks and giggles. Lets say he were to sign here. Where do you have him and does he displace a current starter? I have him slotted at guard and think he's a 2021 backup and a 2022 starter. But man I love this kind of competition along our OL. It's the only way we're going to get over hump.

I would still have:

LT Bergeron/Red
LG Bleich/Tisdale
C Vettorello/llaoa
RG DDavis/Tyler
RT Servais/Barclay

I believe Servais can be jumped depending on the quality of grad transfer/juco tackle we're able to land here. But I also think if Servais gets jumped he moves to Center. He'll need to get more push than Vet but will be better suited to handle the inside at 310.

For kicks and giggles. Lets say he were to sign here. Where do you have him and does he displace a current starter? I have him slotted at guard and think he's a 2021 backup and a 2022 starter. But man I love this kind of competition along our OL. It's the only way we're going to get over hump.

I would still have:

LT Bergeron/Red
LG Bleich/Tisdale
C Vettorello/llaoa
RG DDavis/Tyler
RT Servais/Barclay

I believe Servais can be jumped depending on the quality of grad transfer/juco tackle we're able to land here. But I also think if Servais gets jumped he moves to Center. He'll need to get more push than Vet but will be better suited to handle the inside at 310.
What is Patrick Davis' status? Is he in the Spring 2021 Student Directory?

Are we involved, or is this just pie in the sky?

we're involved and currently no one is exactly beating his door down. I thought maybe we'd move him back to DL but Cavanaugh is doing the recruiting. The fact he has 3 years of eligibility maybe makes him a good kid to take flyer on.

I would still have:

LT Bergeron/Red
LG Bleich/Tisdale
C Vettorello/llaoa
RG DDavis/Tyler
RT Servais/Barclay

If this is the oline going into next season I feel it may be the staffs last year.

we're involved and currently no one is exactly beating his door down. I thought maybe we'd move him back to DL but Cavanaugh is doing the recruiting. The fact he has 3 years of eligibility maybe makes him a good kid to take flyer on.

If Cavanaugh is the recruiter, I wonder if Arizona is in the picture now that Cavanaugh works for that team.

This guy and Bleich would be an interesting combo at guard.
I think it's exactly this. We need more push at the center and guard spots in the run game. I don't know how many times an interior defensive tackle has beaten us mano a mano at the line. But it's A LOT. It kills us trying to do anything else because the opposing team knows we can't run it

It's who we have on the team...are you expecting 5 starting transfer studs from major D1 schools that just got tired of kicking a$$ in the SEC?
I was hoping to get some decent transfers to fill needs. We need some older players that have started at the D1 level. The freshman and sophomores do not appear ready.

I was hoping to get some decent transfers to fill needs. We need some older players that have started at the D1 level. The freshman and sophomores do not appear ready.

What are you talking about?

The proposed front line is a 6th year tackle, a former starter at UF as a redshirt freshmen (indicates he's probably pretty good), a 3rd year starter a center who will have to compete hard to keep his job, a third year starter at guard, and a 3rd year starter at tackle. At least one of this years starters is moving to 2nd string and potentially two if Vetterello loses his job at center.

Assuming everyone on the roster is healthy to start the year this will be the biggest, most experienced, and deepest OL since 2012.

Grad transfer with 3 years remaining. That’s kind of unusual.
Extremely unusual. The only other case I can think of is Ryan Finley, who got a 6th year on an injury waver.

The proposed front line is a 6th year tackle, a former starter at UF as a redshirt freshmen (indicates he's probably pretty good), a 3rd year starter a center who will have to compete hard to keep his job, a third year starter at guard, and a 3rd year starter at tackle. At least one of this years starters is moving to 2nd string and potentially two if Vetterello loses his job at center.

Assuming everyone on the roster is healthy to start the year this will be the biggest, most experienced, and deepest OL since 2012.

And that's not even considering if we do land a transfer like Tyler or Jackson to add to the mix, or pick up a new OL Coach who has a fire lit under him to develop the current roster.

Agree with everything people are saying here but it's fair to say that no one on that line has really proven anything except maybe Bleich. Bergeron has flashed also as did Illoa. So yes I agree we have experience and time in S&C going into the season but it's a 100 percent ip in the air as to how good they will be. Its entirely possible that the same guys who have not played great will also not play great again. That said I personally am glass half full and I think the combination of a Spring practice schedule, full on summer lifting and competition at other positions when camp opens will result in some positive results for the team next year. I think our upper class also wants to leave on a positive note.

And yet our OL has been suspect every year size DB arrived. It’s gotten worse over the last two years with injuries and a non DT qb.
Every year posters keep saying the line will be better next year and than when it’s not there are excuses why. We need improved line play and not sure the current roster provides that. We will see once the season starts whether it’s improved or there is more excuses.

And yet our OL has been suspect every year size DB arrived. It’s gotten worse over the last two years with injuries and a non DT qb.
Every year posters keep saying the line will be better next year and than when it’s not there are excuses why. We need improved line play and not sure the current roster provides that. We will see once the season starts whether it’s improved or there is more excuses.

who said going into the first game the line was going to be good?

going Into 19 they need to replace a couple of multi year starters and kids that injured out, and then lost the center in the first quarter of the first game.

you can’t have the production they had in 18 with a bad line

you can have your narrative, but the truth is the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.