Old Nassib showed up on Saturday, he definitely regressed | Syracusefan.com

Old Nassib showed up on Saturday, he definitely regressed

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
a bit Saturday, happy feet, lack of accuracy and touch, horrible INT... I am obvioulsy smart enough to realize that back ups aren't a viable option and he has played well but we only go as far as he takes us, plain and simple.. a bit scary but this is true

I thought there was something wrong with him after that hit where he lost his helmet and personal foul penalty. He played even worse after that. He does not like to step up in the pocket at all. Although i will say a few of those Int's were on the coaches. When was the last time you saw Syracuse run a double screen? In fact we have barely run any RB screens all year.

definitely had his bell rung, I agree he needs to step up in the pocket as well but make no mistake about it, Nassib is a tough kid. I think the staff doesn't want him taking too many hits that are not needed.. I wish we could see him run just a bit to keep things honest. Our offense has become very predictable

definitely had his bell rung, I agree he needs to step up in the pocket as well but make no mistake about it, Nassib is a tough kid. I think the staff doesn't want him taking too many hits that are not needed.. I wish we could see him run just a bit to keep things honest. Our offense has become very predictable
what do they have to lose? if they averaged 100 yards more per game against FBS schools, they still wouldn't crack the top 35 in offense. add 50 yards of offense and they don't make the top 70.

i wonder if they're more scared of fumbles than injury. but with the way that bailey's putting it on the ground, what's the difference. would like to see nassib get the chance to hang on to the ball. shame to have a guy that big who can run not be allowed to do it.

what do they have to lose? if they averaged 100 yards more per game against FBS schools, they still wouldn't crack the top 35 in offense. add 50 yards of offense and they don't make the top 70.

i wonder if they're more scared of fumbles than injury. but with the way that bailey's putting it on the ground, what's the difference. would like to see nassib get the chance to hang on to the ball. shame to have a guy that big who can run not be allowed to do it.

completely agree, thought he made a couple of nice runs versus KSU in the bowl game.. I still cant believe bailey fumbled that last carry. That game was a pure comedy of errors. I am surprised we didn't lost by 14. Year 3 what they are doing on offense isn't really working but right now its too late to change... but they need to add a few wrinkles. However, next week we won't see any because according to people here, Marrone will be saving these wrinkles for conference play.

All qb's struggle, yes even the great NFL qb's do. I think Rutgers had a decent gameplan and implemented it pretty well. Now, it's time Nassib and the staff learn and make the correct adjustments from here. From my view point it looked like Nassib was very careful in the first half and more aggressive in the second half. He struggled a bit and did return to some old bad habits but sometimes this is when a receiver steps up and makes a play to help his qb out or the oline keeps the guys of him. It's a team loss and I think Nassib is smart enough to realize that he has things he can improve and will continue to do so as the season progresses.

I wouldn't be surprised if the hit Nassib took was a large factor in how he played the rest of the game. Since he has not shown that he can "feel the rush" and be quick enough to sprint away from it he needs to be drilled into the practice of stepping up in the pocket on any plays not designed as rollouts. Hell, most every college QB has a bad game (even the pros) but the good/great QBs usually revert to form. The Tulane game will be very telling & I expect (hope) he shakes off the effects of this last fiasco. Lets hope the coaching staff puts him in a posistion to succeed with their play calling.

His head coach probably had them wound up a bit too tightly this week. Bizarre to have such a regression that quickly. We weren't playing Bama or LSU's defense.

might be interesting to multiple people for multiple reasons (multiple!) you know who has more passing yards per game against FBS schools than nassib? mcentee at uconn

His head coach probably had them wound up a bit too tightly this week. Bizarre to have such a regression that quickly. We weren't playing Bama or LSU's defense.

Rutgers defense is high risk high reward and Schiano is going to take shots on D and if you dont make him pay for it they are going to keep coming...

As someone that looks forward to and expects Marrone to be on the Hill for a decade plus, a huge disappointment to me is his failure to land a legit QB in three years that could be closer to game ready.

Jury is out on a few kids, but Nassib is playing as well as he can this year - he's been impressive - but Loeb scares the hell out of me as a #2, Hunt and Kinder aren't close to unseating that, Miller was a character/physical bust and Broyld was a last-minute recruit last year.

Nassib will leave here as the most underappreciated three-year QB starter in the modern era, but really, really disappointed in what hasn't transpired at the position...though again, Nassib has been solid. I just can't think he's the ideal-type QB for whatever system we will see at some point.

a bit Saturday, happy feet, lack of accuracy and touch, horrible INT... I am obvioulsy smart enough to realize that back ups aren't a viable option and he has played well but we only go as far as he takes us, plain and simple.. a bit scary but this is true
I think we are seeing the same thing we did last year. Conference teams are not willing to give Syracuse the quick slant routes that have become the backbone of the new offense we have been running the last 2 years. Once that happens and we are unable to run the ball consistently, we struggle to move the ball at all.

I agree Nassib made 2 awful throws that lead to interceptions...that screen pass early and the throw late in the game over the middle. He had a couple of chances to get long completions where he did not throw it well. And I agree, it looked like the shots he took affected his play to some extent. Was not as poised as he has been. Though he rarely had quality time to run plays to completion as designed.

But to my eyes, like last year, most of the time on passing plays, the receivers were not open or were barely open, where a great throw and catch was required just to get a short gain. We continue to need to find an answer when we are defended this way.

Part of the problem is the lack of size, strength and speed from our receivers. Watch the replay of the game and see how Van Chew gets manhandled by physical coverage. I like the kid a lot, he gives 100%, has great hands and fine speed, but he has not been able to do much against strong man coverage in his career and given his body, I don't think this is ever going to change.

Provo is stronger than Van but again, when the ball is thrown his way, he is often pitted in man coverage against a defender who is usually bigger, stronger and faster than he is. He has improved a lot over this career, but he still is not what you need to be a top notch TE at this level.

The young kids might be good some day but I don't see any of them making big contributions right away. But Foster and West have nice size and strength and do not shy from physical play, so I think they will be good down the road.

Lemon is the only guy I see who is able to get open consistently. I hope we throw it to him more often the rest of the season.

The other part of the problem is, when the defense takes away the quick slants, you need to respond. You can't just keep calling them and hope it will all work out. Would like to see some plays designed to look like a quick slant that turns into a sprint route deep (executed with a pump fake). Would like to see more passes to the sidelines. Would like to see something different than we have been seeing.

I think we are seeing the same thing we did last year. Conference teams are not willing to give Syracuse the quick slant routes that have become the backbone of the new offense we have been running the last 2 years. Once that happens and we are unable to run the ball consistently, we struggle to move the ball at all.

I agree Nassib made 2 awful throws that lead to interceptions...that screen pass early and the throw late in the game over the middle. He had a couple of chances to get long completions where he did not throw it well. And I agree, it looked like the shots he took affected his play to some extent. Was not as poised as he has been. Though he rarely had quality time to run plays to completion as designed.

But to my eyes, like last year, most of the time on passing plays, the receivers were not open or were barely open, where a great throw and catch was required just to get a short gain. We continue to need to find an answer when we are defended this way.

Part of the problem is the lack of size, strength and speed from our receivers. Watch the replay of the game and see how Van Chew gets manhandled by physical coverage. I like the kid a lot, he gives 100%, has great hands and fine speed, but he has not been able to do much against strong man coverage in his career and given his body, I don't think this is ever going to change.

Provo is stronger than Van but again, when the ball is thrown his way, he is often pitted in man coverage against a defender who is usually bigger, stronger and faster than he is. He has improved a lot over this career, but he still is not what you need to be a top notch TE at this level.

The young kids might be good some day but I don't see any of them making big contributions right away. But Foster and West have nice size and strength and do not shy from physical play, so I think they will be good down the road.

Lemon is the only guy I see who is able to get open consistently. I hope we throw it to him more often the rest of the season.

The other part of the problem is, when the defense takes away the quick slants, you need to respond. You can't just keep calling them and hope it will all work out. Would like to see some plays designed to look like a quick slant that turns into a sprint route deep (executed with a pump fake). Would like to see more passes to the sidelines. Would like to see something different than we have been seeing.

Good post, the reason I liked Sales so much as he seems to find a way to get open and make the tough catches regardless of physical attributes and I agree Chew just disappears at times, I think this why they have been trying to work in West and Foster or Hale which ever it is

I thought he threw the ball poorly prior to the hit. There was one play where he did all sorts of weird things with his body as he was stepping up in the pocket to throw the ball - he looked like Elaine on Seinfeld dancing for those who know what I'm talking about. I've said this before and in another post, I don't know if Nassib, the receivers, or the playcalling is the problem. We rarely see a WR get open frequently in a game like WR's get open against us. Why is that?

I thought he threw the ball poorly prior to the hit. There was one play where he did all sorts of weird things with his body as he was stepping up in the pocket to throw the ball - he looked like Elaine on Seinfeld dancing for those who know what I'm talking about. I've said this before and in another post, I don't know if Nassib, the receivers, or the playcalling is the problem. We rarely see a WR get open frequently in a game like WR's get open against us. Why is that?

I just get frustrated as we seem to miss the one really big opp we have so may times during the game either Nassib doesn't see chew down the field or he overthrows him by 10 yards. I think the answer is a combo of all 3

Pasqualoni must have been crazy to let McNabb run the ball for four years. My goodness, what was he thinking?

Marrone needs to stop confusing Nassib with Drew Brees. We're not out $30 Million if Ryan sprains an ankle.

It's too bad Nassib never had much of a chance to throw to Mike Williams. Would love to see an experienced Nassib throw to him.
I wonder if Nassib still has the same foot speed that he had against Washington last year on that great run where he almost scored. If he does, I wish we could take advantage of it a few times a game.

I just get frustrated as we seem to miss the one really big opp we have so may times during the game either Nassib doesn't see chew down the field or he overthrows him by 10 yards. I think the answer is a combo of all 3

I agree. I'm almost wondering if Nassib is more like a Kyle Orton. At the end of the season you look at the numbers and say, "wow, I never realized he was that good". But if your actually watching the games you realize he isn't dominating the game minus a drive or two. His numbers all add up but the - getting the job done - isn't quite there.