Ole Miss can go to hell | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ole Miss can go to hell

I honestly think that Donnie would have won it if Ty Detmer hadn't come on and had the monster season he did. He stole votes from Donnie and opened the door for Brown. Oh well.
Well since Detmer didn't play until 1988, I am really po'd now! ;) Maybe you were thinking of Lockbaum?

Ladies and gentlemen, your 1959 Ole Miss Rebels football team!...

4233293920_dccdcd9466_z.jpg

None of these things are not like the other.

Stupid rednecks messed up the numbering, the bottom row goes from right to left while the other three rows go from left to right.

An interesting excerpt from the book " '59" by Gary and Maury Youmans, (page 141):

Val Pinchbeck (Syracuse Sports Information Director: "I used to go down to New York every Monday to the writer's luncheon. Occasionally I'd take Benny down but not every week. I'd go over to the Associated Press and they basically counted all the votes for the weekly poll. In those days everybody subscribing to the AP service got to vote. lo and behold, we found out that little radio stations in Mississippi or Florida or Texas, somewhere down there, would vote for the Southern teams and they'd leave out Syracuse, they'd leave out Southern Cal. in other words, those teams didn't get any additional votes, the didn't get ANY VOTES. So eventually they made up an internal decision that if somebody voting didn't at least cast a vote for the three major unbeaten teams in the top ten, they threw out the vote. That helped us in the polls as the season went on. The guys up North wouldn't do it, in other words nobody in Syracuse, or in Ithaca or in Rome would send in votes for Syracuse and leave out Southern teams."

We can be glad they threw out those votes in 1959.

An interesting excerpt from the book " '59" by Gary and Maury Youmans, (page 141):

Val Pinchbeck (Syracuse Sports Information Director: "I used to go down to New York every Monday to the writer's luncheon. Occasionally I'd take Benny down but not every week. I'd go over to the Associated Press and they basically counted all the votes for the weekly poll. In those days everybody subscribing to the AP service got to vote. lo and behold, we found out that little radio stations in Mississippi or Florida or Texas, somewhere down there, would vote for the Southern teams and they'd leave out Syracuse, they'd leave out Southern Cal. in other words, those teams didn't get any additional votes, the didn't get ANY VOTES. So eventually they made up an internal decision that if somebody voting didn't at least cast a vote for the three major unbeaten teams in the top ten, they threw out the vote. That helped us in the polls as the season went on. The guys up North wouldn't do it, in other words nobody in Syracuse, or in Ithaca or in Rome would send in votes for Syracuse and leave out Southern teams."

Good find.

Served them right. Ignorant, racist bastards.

this pic is every team in the SEC and ACC in 1959, and beyond...